Author Topic: Bees?  (Read 2060 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Bees?
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:21:50 AM »
Okay so it's not AGW this time but it's the same mindset.

LINK

Cellphone transmissions may be responsible for a mysterious, worldwide die off in bees that has mystified scientists.
Dr. Daniel Favre, a former biologist with the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, Switzerland, carefully placed a mobile phone underneath a beehive and then monitored the reaction of the workers.

According to a story in The Daily Mail, the bees were able to tell when the handsets were making and receiving calls. They responded by making the high pitched squeaks that usually signal the start of swarming.

"This study shows that the presence of an active mobile phone disturbs bees -- and has a dramatic effect," Favre told the Daily Mail.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Bees?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:17:48 AM »
I have a similar reaction when I sit on my phone... ::laughonfloor::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:36:28 AM »
Who pays these idiots??
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »
I've been checking with a bee-keeper friend of mine for three years now and he isn't having any problems . We're in central Ohio . I think it's a lot of B.S. !

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
I've been checking with a bee-keeper friend of mine for three years now and he isn't having any problems . We're in central Ohio . I think it's a lot of B.S. !

Somebody needed research grants.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 04:12:02 PM »
I just watched an hour long program last week about the honey bee die-off. Based on that program, I would conclude that the problem is very real. Hive colonies rely on scouts returning to the hive to relay detailed instructions to the collective regarding the location of pollinating plants using an intricate "dance". Scientists have observed these workers either deploying and never returning to the hive, or even more strangely, returning, but failing to accurately relay their information.

But the preliminary conclusion of the scientists on this program had nothing to do with cell-phones, global warming, or anything else. They traced anomalies to an immunodeficiency  AIDS-like virus that they believe came from the importation of Australian honey bees.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 06:14:19 PM »
Bayer, the folks who brought us both heroin and aspirin, is the prime suspect in the bee die-offs which have been alarming farmers, entomologists, and environmentalists.

From Michael McCarthy, environment editor of The Independent:

A new generation of pesticides is making honeybees far more susceptible to disease, even at tiny doses, and may be a clue to the mysterious colony collapse disorder that has devastated bees across the world, the US government’s leading bee researcher has found. Yet the discovery has remained unpublished for nearly two years since it was made by the US Department of Agriculture’s Bee Research Laboratory.

The release of such a finding from the American government’s own bee lab would put a major question mark over the use of neonicotinoid insecticides – relatively new compounds which mimic the insect-killing properties of nicotine, and which are increasingly used on crops in the US, Britain and around the world.

Bayer, the German chemicals giant which developed the insecticides and makes most of them, insists that they are safe for bees if used properly, but they have already been widely linked to bee mortality. The US findings raise questions about the substance used in the bee lab’s experiment, imidacloprid, which was Bayer’s top-selling insecticide in 2009, earning the company £510m. The worry is that neonicotinoids, which are neurotoxins – that is, they attack the central nervous system – are also “systemic”, meaning they are taken up into every part of the plant which is treated with them, including the pollen and nectar. This means that bees and other pollinating insects can absorb them and carry them back to their hives or nests – even if they are not the insecticide’s target species.

http://richardbrenneman.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/bayer-pesticide-named-as-a-culprit-in-bee-die-off/
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »
Lots and lots and lots of the things we commonly eat cannot be agriculturally viable without honeybees. Based on the program I referenced above, it is estimated that 1/3 of what we eat is dependent on bees.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 06:56:56 PM »
Lots and lots and lots of the things we commonly eat cannot be agriculturally viable without honeybees. Based on the program I referenced above, it is estimated that 1/3 of what we eat is dependent on bees.

No bees no seed production either.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 07:06:09 AM »
What about them Africanized ones, we don't need those mutants for anything, do we?

I have nothing against the others, we need them for polination and such, but them mutants gotta go!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.