Author Topic: Who will take the Scalia seat on SCOTUS?  (Read 6777 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Who will take the Scalia seat on SCOTUS?
« on: January 24, 2017, 08:05:47 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-supreme-court-gorsuch-20170123-story.html

Yeah, Gorsuch doesn't have the baggage trail of Pryor and could be a good fit...at least I have no reason at this point to think otherwise...but baggage thrown on someone's back by a bunch of junk yard dog Dem's shouldn't be an automatic disqualifier either, after all it is that kind of caving into bullies that get you labeled a pussy and only benefits the thugs!  Just pick the right person, stick with them and see it through!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
Re: Who will take the Scalia seat on SCOTUS?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
From what I've seen of the opinions he has written there seems to be a lot of similarity to Scalia's written opinions.  So far, so good, it seems.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 03:27:34 PM »
I am guessing the SCOTUS seat is on the back burner until more of Trump's staff is seated.    Democrats seem to want to take their time and stonewall that as long as possible.    Won't be surprised if its March before there is much action on that.   

This seat is probably the biggest bullet dodged by not electing Hillary.   At least we have a chance for someone good,  Killary's choice would have been terrible no matter what.   I wonder what other seats Trump will get to fill.  Hopefully one of the old liberals,  or that nitwit Kennedy. 

Another thing I hope gains traction,  splitting the 9th circuit.    It's a huge court,  and overturned the majority of the time.    Dividing it will get at least a few states out of a liberal circuit.  Not needing to go to the SC for relief they should have gotten at the lower level.   I imagine one of them would likely stay liberal and continue to be a problem. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 03:33:02 PM »
If there is a scintilla of justice left in the universe...nobody but Bork clones would be sent to the Senate!!!

Eat it, Progs!  I won!!!   ::bustamove::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 06:59:16 AM »
A dark horse rises...

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-supreme-court-nomination-frontrunner-2017-1

...not gonna say anyting bad about the fella, wouldn't be a awful choice, but...

...I get nervous when enemies praise and really nervous when jurnolistas start yapping about angry Democrats...

...I want the most originalist I can get my hands on and the democrats can bleep themselves!  It's out turn to have it our way, it's their turn to be butthurt, period!!!

Better not screw the pooch!!!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 09:25:49 AM »
This is one of the things that worries me 'cause no matter how these Judge nominees present themselves, and despite their records, ya never really know what you're gonna get.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 11:21:48 AM »
That's why I go to my default - whoever pisses the left off the worst, has to be the right person!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 03:15:49 PM »
At one time we were led to believe Roberts was a solid choice, and we know what became of that.  Likewise some of Reagan's appointees ended up being wolves in sheep's clothing.

That says to me that the real issue is not "how do we find appointees who will be good long term?" but more "why do we even tolerate a judiciary that results in single black robed individuals wielding such outsized influence?"
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 05:38:59 PM »
At one time we were led to believe Roberts was a solid choice, and we know what became of that.  Likewise some of Reagan's appointees ended up being wolves in sheep's clothing.

That says to me that the real issue is not "how do we find appointees who will be good long term?" but more "why do we even tolerate a judiciary that results in single black robed individuals wielding such outsized influence?"

Yup!   The constitution never intended for the supreme court to have the power it has.  We can thank (not)  John Marshall (the fourth supreme court chief justice)  for the beginning of the power grab.   Marbury v. Madison (1803),  which began  the power of judicial review, regulation of  interstate commerce by the feds and the states losing the right to ignore the federal government when it didn't work for the individual states.   

Marshall is probably a good argument for getting rid of lifetime appointments,  he stuck around way too long 1801-1835).   

The Supreme Court deciding things in bad ways,  that should have been resolved by voters.  That have opened wounds that make things linger for decades instead of being solved.   Dred Scott in the 19th century,  helping lead to the civil war.   More recently Roe vs Wade,  which has opened a half century wound on basis of society (likely leading to another civil war at some point).   

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »
Article V Convention of the States is the only way to solve it, short of.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 08:21:51 PM »
Well,  its Gorsuch.   

Sure am glad it ain't hillary making the pick.   Imagine her choice would have been pretty terrible.

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 10:03:44 PM »
NY Times (via Drudge) writes:  Neil Gorsuch, the Nominee for a Stolen Seat - not a "stolen seat", a-holes - one does not replace a conservative with a moderate or liberal - we need another conservative (and MORE) on that bench.

Elections have effing consequences.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 06:24:29 AM »
There's always this attempt to trade off lesser values for the targeted value:

• The value of "fairness" or "equality" over Constitutional values
  • The value of "anti-discrimination" or "anti-bigotry" (falsely named, btw) over God's Word or Christian morality
  • Homosexual/Transgender "rights" over the right of Freedom of Religion

The appeal is to values which seem "good", but are less than God's biblical values. Should a homosexual or transgender living outside of biblical values (which serve culture better than the values of perversion) be discriminated against? Absolutely!

If the so-called "values" you bring to the cultural table erode society, then your "values" need to be trampled & beaten out of existence.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 07:39:58 AM »

Yup!   The constitution never intended for the supreme court to have the power it has.  We can thank (not)  John Marshall (the fourth supreme court chief justice)  for the beginning of the power grab.   Marbury v. Madison (1803),  which began  the power of judicial review, regulation of  interstate commerce by the feds and the states losing the right to ignore the federal government when it didn't work for the individual states.   

Marshall is probably a good argument for getting rid of lifetime appointments,  he stuck around way too long 1801-1835).   

The Supreme Court deciding things in bad ways,  that should have been resolved by voters.  That have opened wounds that make things linger for decades instead of being solved.   Dred Scott in the 19th century,  helping lead to the civil war.   More recently Roe vs Wade,  which has opened a half century wound on basis of society (likely leading to another civil war at some point).   

Don't forget that jackass FDR, he packed the Coourt like no other.  If not for those clowns the subsequent liberalization and un-Founders-like "living" Constitution crap wouldn't have thrived and created abominations like Roe v Wade that created an inhuman right out of thin air!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 07:40:25 AM »
Article V Convention of the States is the only way to solve it, short of.

Yes,...short of...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 07:45:39 AM »
Well,  its Gorsuch.   

Sure am glad it ain't hillary making the pick.   Imagine her choice would have been pretty terrible.

Yup.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444437/neil-gorsuch-antonin-scalia-supreme-court-textualist-originalist-heir

I think this is the best choice he could have made.  And Hitlery would have picked far worse...even worse than that idiot Garland Obama tried to pawn off on us.

And bleep Schumer and the rest, the Reid Senate deployed the Nuclear Option first, so deploy it again and tell them to STFD and STFU.

And don't sweat the flailing failing Old Grey Vagina, Pablo...calling the seat "stolen" is merely red meat to their brain-dead minions and an attay-boy/girl/trans/bi/whatevers in the Senate...we should take pride in the fact that they a re still acting like butthurt little snowflakes!

:D

In a related move...the NY Slimes is once again reverting to their old tactic of exploiting the E-GOP weaklings to make it appear there is more dissaray in GOP ranks and the White House than actually exists...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/us/politics/a-jarring-new-level-of-confrontation-and-conflict-hits-washington.html

...usually the Goebbels types don't get their diapers this much into a twist unless they are really scared their way of life (lies, theft, oppression) is seriously threatened.

Again, another sign of winning and more reason to hit the accelerator even harder!   :D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:52:40 AM by Libertas »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 05:54:02 PM »
I would like to see more checks against the Federal government by the States.  We had a good measure of that before the 17th Amendment, and the Senate should once again be chosen by State legislatures.  Why do we need two chambers of the legislature chosen by popular vote?  It's redundant.  The Senate was meant to represent the States.

I also think we need to do something about the Supreme Court.  Just brainstorming here, but maybe have the Court periodically (every certain number of years) reconstituted entirely, and effectively on a rotating basis among the States.  So if we have nine justices, every 10 years or so nine states will fill those slots with either an appointee or a member of their own state supreme court.

Of course, simply getting the Senate back to its intended role as the States' representatives would fix most of this.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 06:56:38 AM »
I think like me you were born a couple hundred years late.

The only way to fully restore the nation to its Founding Principles is to lay waste to the layers of rot accumulated over the intervening time.

If you think about it with few exceptions (leadership succession for example) there is little that should have been applied to a near-perfect construction following the Bill of Rights.  And the gratuitous spending and expanding bureaucracy to gargantuan levels and all the corruption, spoils and regulation it spawned should have never been allowed to happen.  But people get lazy, stupid, greedy and selfish when prosperity abounds...and all stoppers get pulled when shocks occur because like animals in a panic they can't see past their own survival.

The level of rot to root out and and cleanse is I think impossible to achieve...it is a sad and all too common lament in these latter days that all we can reasonably hope for in this iteration of America is the best we can get...

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 05:30:51 PM »
That's why I go to my default - whoever pisses the left off the worst, has to be the right person!

While I really appreciate the snark, the truth is more the opposite - Whoever is the right-est will be the one who pisses them off the most. It is they who promote people and ideas not because they are the best, but by virtue of their tendency to outrage.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 06:45:51 AM »

While I really appreciate the snark, the truth is more the opposite - Whoever is the right-est will be the one who pisses them off the most. It is they who promote people and ideas not because they are the best, but by virtue of their tendency to outrage.

::hat-tip::