Author Topic: The Latest In Godawful Expensive New Lightbulbs (yippee)  (Read 3856 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
The Latest In Godawful Expensive New Lightbulbs (yippee)
« on: May 16, 2011, 08:27:17 PM »
LINK

[blockquote]NEW YORK – Two leading makers of lighting products are showcasing LED bulbs that are bright enough to replace energy-guzzling 100-watt light bulbs set to disappear from stores in January.

Their demonstrations at the LightFair trade show in Philadelphia this week mean that brighter LED bulbs will likely go on sale next year, but after a government ban takes effect.

The new bulbs will also be expensive — about $50 each — so the development may not prevent consumers from hoarding traditional bulbs.

The technology in traditional "incandescent" bulbs is more than a century old. Such bulbs waste most of the electricity that feeds them, turning it into heat. The 100-watt bulb, in particular, produces so much heat that it's used in Hasbro's Easy-Bake Oven.

To encourage energy efficiency, Congress passed a law in 2007 mandating that bulbs producing 100 watts worth of light meet certain efficiency goals, starting in 2012. Conventional light bulbs don't meet those goals, so the law will prohibit making or importing them. The same rule will start apply to remaining bulbs 40 watts and above in 2014. Since January, California has already banned stores from restocking 100-watt incandescent bulbs.[/blockquote]

At this rate you are going to need to finance the lighting of your home.

Still, this is an oncoming disaster that we all have plenty of time to prepare for. Traditional incandescent light bulbs are still available and they are still cheap. Buy early and buy often. Store them in a safe place.

Worst case scenario is you buy a bunch of them, they change the federal law back and then you get to sell your stockpile on eBay to the poor bastards who live in the People's Republic of California.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Re: The Latest In Godawful Expensive New Lightbulbs (yippee)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 08:48:07 PM »
I think LED bulbs will eventually be the standard.  They're much better than the compact fluorescents.  Many flashlights and automobile headlights already use them.  With flashlights, the batteries last much longer than with incandescent bulbs, so they're better during power outages.  You can stand them on end and use them as electric candles, with no worries about setting things on fire.

But they're not quite there yet for indoor home lighting.  They're pretty harsh, and as you pointed out, expensive.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:57:22 PM by rickl »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:03:21 PM »
While I believe that LED bulbs are the future, I also prefer that the free market lead us there.  There is no good reason why the government should be dictating what kinds of light bulbs we use.  The laws against Edison's bulbs should be repealed ASAP.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:09:44 PM »
Don't hold your breath.

Politicians are loath to admit a mistake.

Be prepared for a black market in bulbs.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:11:02 PM »
The fact that we are even in a situation in which we must discuss what lightbulbs the federal government will allow us to manufacture, purchase, and use, indicates the world of sh*t we are in. They've got their hooks in too deep, and they won't be inclined to extract them voluntarily upon demand.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:24:52 PM »
I like LED lighting technology. I, too, think there is a future in it. But it needs to come to market without any coercion from the feds.

I love my LED flashlight. It puts out nearly 100 lumens of extremely white light. I am getting ready to upgrade it to a 200 lumen version. I don't mind paying more for a better flashlight. But, there is no way that this technology is ready to light my home. It has a long, long way to go before that point is reached. And I don't want to be forced to do it by the feds.

Hence, my collection of incandescent light bulbs. I mentioned on a separate thread that I am working on a cubic yard of bulbs. I figure that is enough to last the rest of my life.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:41:07 PM by trapeze »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 09:34:54 PM »
Hey  dont I have a constitutional right to let my daughter play with her easy bake oven?
They aren't light bulbs - they are heat balls. Problem solved
http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/energy/blogs/skirting-eu-law-the-rebranding-of-incandescent-bulbs-as-heat-balls

Still have not found the right LED  lighting either. If you get them for around $20 they are actually a better deal - provied they last as long as advertized

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »
The only 100-watt bulb I own isn't used as a light - I use it in my parent's travel trailer to keep the condensation to a minimum during the winter months. But if I were foolish enough to want to plug one into every outlet in my house it isn't anyone's business but my own (and my nosy next-door neighbor apparently).

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 10:13:44 PM »

He cut his trees down to keep better track of you?

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 04:34:45 AM »
Don't hold your breath.

I haven't heard but will import of the old style bulb from countries like India and China be banned ?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 07:48:33 AM »
Don't hold your breath.

I haven't heard but will import of the old style bulb from countries like India and China be banned ?

So what if they are?  It's not like anything can't come across our southern border!

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »

Officer, what probable cause did you have to kick in the door?

A light in the window.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 12:00:27 PM »
I like the hundos for the garage and the basement. I have a nice stash of them that should last the rest of my life.

That solves the problem for me, but not the countrys problem of tyranny. My children should have the same access to whatever the market provides for lighting.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 12:26:32 PM »
We've got 40W mini-reflectors in the wall-unit/headboard and the range-hood; two units that use 40W tubulars; five ceiling fans needing certain 40W for them; two pendulums in the kitchen over the sink; two 75W recesseds on a dimmer in front of the fireplace; four night-lights; five sets of 75W outdoor motion detectors; then there's appliance bulbs, oven/refrig/freezer/dryer -- which of these are we allowed after the ban?  I don't know, but worrying about this sht is no way to have to live.

A few of these are used often; most as the occasional need arises, and suddenly I suspect this variety and abundance can be seen as profligate, depending on who's looking, which pisses me off no end.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 04:06:26 PM »

Officer, what probable cause did you have to kick in the door?

A light in the window.

that's where we are....

::gaah::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 04:46:39 PM »
Hey don't worry once they get the smart-grid running they'll just cut the electricity to your house 'cause you use to much!
F/U Fed-man damn I sound like a Hippie.
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 04:52:43 PM »
Outdoor lighting should not be a problem...they'll be plenty of zombies ablaze to see a fair distance...

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 04:56:44 PM »

::jihadnanner::  ::rockets::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 12:42:10 AM »
Very long winded article from the NYTs about how the coming light bulb legislation isn't really a big deal at all and why anyone who hoards light bulbs is an idiot.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 07:00:16 AM »
Very long winded article from the NYTs about how the coming light bulb legislation isn't really a big deal at all and why anyone who hoards light bulbs is an idiot.

Just like the Leftist Times to ridicule and minimize the concerns of conservatives alarmed at the overreach of government. Screw 'em. Regardless of how the NYT wishes to justify it, the federal government has reached into the homes of the American people to dictate how we must and must not provide lighting, and into private industry to dictate what can and cannot be manufactured to meet consumer demand. It goes without saying that such an overreach does not concern the New York Times.

- Thomas Jefferson