Author Topic: The Latest In Godawful Expensive New Lightbulbs (yippee)  (Read 3853 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: The Latest In Godawful Expensive New Lightbulbs (yippee)
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 07:36:57 AM »
Very long winded article from the NYTs about how the coming light bulb legislation isn't really a big deal at all and why anyone who hoards light bulbs is an idiot.

And Stalin was a good guy.  They have the journalism awards that prove it, nevermind the millions dead.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 02:02:11 PM »
This guy called in during the last few minutes of Rush's show.

S. Hackensack light bulb seller has a bright idea for people who fear the loss of incandescents.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/135010808_A_new_bulb_puts_back_the_old_glow.html
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 02:13:45 PM »
This guy called in during the last few minutes of Rush's show.

S. Hackensack light bulb seller has a bright idea for people who fear the loss of incandescents.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/135010808_A_new_bulb_puts_back_the_old_glow.html

There's something about stories like this, how the free market always confounds attempts to plan and manage it.  It reminds me of the story Rush has told about LA area schools seeing the evolution of a black market of snack foods that had been banned by the cafeteria.  It's the hallmark of all centralized and regulated economies, the development of an elaborate black market.  Human beings desire things, and they're going to get them one way or another.  Part of the genius of free market capitalism is that it recognizes this and allows it to flourish in productive ways, rather than tilting at the windmill of molding us all into "the new Soviet Man".

There was a similar story from Germany, where an outfit has started selling incandescent bulbs as "heat globes".
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
Thanks for passing this along.

Glad to know about this man and still pissed that the Feds have managed to cost us twice as much for our lighting preference.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 04:36:56 PM »
And Stalin was a good guy. 

He's just a tad misunderstood, that's all. ::unknowncomic::

And here's to Mr. Birnbaum!! ::USA::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »
http://www.newcandescent.com/index.html

And Rush crashed their server today.  Heheh.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline michelleo

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »
I hear those printing presses over that at the NYT guzzle massive amounts of electricity.  Better cut power to them too while we're at it.