Author Topic: It's a trap!  (Read 2477 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
It's a trap!
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:46:51 PM »

/hat tip Ace of Spades
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: It's a trap!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:48:33 PM »
Right now it's a huge question too.. ::whatgives::

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »
Yeah, I'm trying to fix it.  If I right-click on it the image opens in a new window.

Funny, it showed up in the preview.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:53:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm trying to fix it.  If I right-click on it the image opens in a new window.

Funny, it showed up in the preview.

Some websites prevent hotlinking because it steals their bandwidth. Try uploading it to photobucket and reposting it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:54:49 PM »
Right now it's showing up, and it works for me if I right-click.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:55:14 PM »
OK, now it's not showing up.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 09:59:40 PM »
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 10:01:13 PM »
That was a lot of effort for something that was only moderately funny.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 10:01:57 PM »
Yep. Worth it ;-)

Last week I got one of those scareware fake virus-scanner bugs. Had a devil of a time getting rid of it. And here I am right back on the same interwebby that infected me!  ::gaah::

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 10:15:57 PM »
And now it's showing up again in my first post, but I'll bet it won't after I refresh.

ETA: I was right.   ::bashing::
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 11:02:09 PM »
And now it's showing up again in my first post, but I'll bet it won't after I refresh.

ETA: I was right.   ::bashing::

When posting a utube it always shows up in the "preview" after posting only the link shows up. 

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 05:05:31 PM »
Yep. Worth it ;-)

Last week I got one of those scareware fake virus-scanner bugs. Had a devil of a time getting rid of it. And here I am right back on the same interwebby that infected me!  ::gaah::

Soup, my faster, better computer is currently in the hands of my very capable brother, charged with the responsibility of cleaning the freeakin hard drive from the crap associated with "Windows XP Security System 2011."

Those bastards. I tried to clean my system the first time the ad popped up. (Only $59 for a year subscription for the answer to the problem that they caused) Spybot cleaned it once and said "XP Security 2011 is a fraud."

Those bastards. Well, it came back with a vengeance, and locked up my hard drive.

Bastards bastards bastards.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 07:13:54 PM »

I'm sooo lucky blessed.  I hadn't heard of that type of scam until asked to assist a friend with a problem.
Not a week later was I ALERT! ALERT! ALERTED!  by something that said it was AVG and I was being invaded CLICK HERE TO SAVE YOURSELF by eight malwares!

Something didn't seem right about it so I > CTRL  ALT  DELETE  then I shut it down, turned off the modem, booted up, and ran AVG.  The machine was clean. 

When you get an invitation any click could trigger the action.  CTRL  ALT  DELETE  and shutting down avoids that.

Hope you brother is successful.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 07:21:05 PM »
I usually have a good nose for suspicious e-mails.  I've gotten a couple purporting to be from Comcast that say that my computer may be infected with a "bot".  They look perfectly legitimate.  I got one a couple of months ago and I ended up deleting it without taking any action.  I just got another one today.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 07:35:10 PM »
I usually have a good nose for suspicious e-mails.  I've gotten a couple purporting to be from Comcast that say that my computer may be infected with a "bot".  They look perfectly legitimate.  I got one a couple of months ago and I ended up deleting it without taking any action.  I just got another one today.

Don't let those bastards reel you in - Olle Nyman
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 08:13:31 PM »
Silly PC users.

Get a Mac.

(if that's not flamebait I don't know what is)
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 08:17:23 PM »
Silly PC users.

Get a Mac.

He has a brand new Mac. ::saywhat::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »
I'm up to three of them now. Got seriously tired of fixing the wife's PC problems so I bought her one for her birthday. No more bitching about ANYTHING. Best grand I ever spent.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 08:35:38 PM »
Silly PC users.

Get a Mac.

He has a brand new Mac. ::saywhat::

Trap, you might have missed this thread where I discussed the death of my G5 and the purchase of my brand spankin' new Mac Pro.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 10:30:51 PM »
I guess I did miss that thread.

So...you did what? Accidentally installed malware?