Author Topic: Bill Paxton, 61  (Read 1988 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Bill Paxton, 61
« on: February 26, 2017, 10:24:02 AM »
Way too young to go. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing that this guy was a rare Hollywood conservative and Christian.

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2017/02/26/bill-paxton-dead-dies/
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Bill Paxton, 61
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:33:25 AM »
I commented elsewhere that what I really appreciated about him (beyond his impressive acting skills) was that I had no inkling what his political leanings were. This is how I conduct myself professionally and how I expect others to conduct themselves.

I don't believe that I can think of a role Bill played that I didn't like - even Chet the putz (Weird Science).  You were interesting, engaging, and entertaining - what more could an actor ask for?

RIP Mr. Paxton

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 11:35:21 AM »
Scratch my earlier comment. I just have been thinking of someone else. Paxton was an Obama supporter, and raised funds for the Dems. I think I was thinking of Dennis Quaid.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 07:23:48 AM »
He always played some flakey/off-beat dudes...wish they cast somebody else (anybody else) in Twister beside him...

And while I don't recall him being one of the outspoken libs in Hollyweird I guess not being an ass about it counts for something...but not shocked he is a lib...90% are...

And he sure pushed Judge Wopner off the radar...but 61 is pretty young to go.

But the era of letting libs off just because the expired early is over, they have to answer for their sins.

First, I never watch the Oscars, haven't for decades, besides not giving a rats ass about celebs let alone into the pointlessness of any kind of cult worship...their political BS is not going to receive my attention, things have been bad enough in Fake News Land without having to willingly subject myself to these idiots and their blatherings.  But last nights festivities included - announcing the wrong winner for best picture, having a memorial segment for someone still alive, praising open borders while denying the criminal crap it lets in to murder, rape and steal, a disgusting orgy of Trump-bashing, etc etc...

Sorry to hijack the passing of Paxton, but I am starting to not feel very charitable, even to dead leftist celebs...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 07:44:56 AM »

Sorry to hijack the passing of Paxton,....

It was for a good cause...
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:39:49 PM »
I liked him, especially as Pvt. Hudson in Aliens.  He was good in Tombstone too, another one of my favorite movies.  I remember watching one of the special features on the Aliens DVD and they were talking about the guns in the movie, and Sigourney Weaver had to virtue signal her anti-gun politics but when Bill Paxton talked about all the gun play he just said something like "of course I knew how to handle guns, I'm from Texas, it's what we did growing up!"  So I guess I held out hope he might have been a Hollywood closet conservative.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 10:23:34 AM »
If you haven't seen him in "Frailty" with Matthew McConaughey and Powers Booth, I highly recommend it. Paxton's "aw-shucks" persona applied to the darkness of this character was bone-chilling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZwxNRbdYS0

- Thomas Jefferson