Author Topic: Interesting Manufacturing Statistics  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Interesting Manufacturing Statistics
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:48:17 AM »
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/03/04/can-you-guess-the-biggest-gunmaker-in-the-us.aspx

Not surprised by who is number 1...they make a lot of good stuff...nor am I surprised by those who follow behind...with the exception of SIG and Glock, no slight to SIG they make nice stuff I just haven't gotten around to something of theirs, but I expect they have a loyal following, especially among certain former military types...and Glock I thought would rank higher but being a semi-auto pistol maker only and considering the American market is pretty eclectic to start with...upon reflection I think being the 4th largest among pistol makers on this list seems about right after all.

What is surprising is where Beretta fell off to?  Are they off the list at 11th...or lower?

The manufacturer list totals to just 6,508,531 where the annual table captures 8,911,530, the 2,402,999 gap no doubt has Beretta and all the other AR makers, 1911 makers like Kimber, Les Baer etc and everybody else making anyting that goes bang in it.

Compare that 2015 data to the NICS number for the same year - 23,141,970 - and obviously not everything made in one year is sold in that year...but consider 2016's NICS of an even higher 27,538,673 and the runnup to both periods it is clear in the Hussein years it is more than first time buyers gobbling up supply, there is a lot of repeat customers...some we know personally!

Now things are slacking off, which may be good for buying opportunities for weapons and ammo...I do not agree that a slacking off is wise...people shouldn't be feeling secure now...we a re still a heartbeat away from God-knows-what...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Interesting Manufacturing Statistics
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 06:21:10 PM »
Moar ammo.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 06:35:04 PM »
Further up in the article it says Beretta is #15.  Not too surprising, since their M9 contracts are mostly fulfilled already and other than high end shotguns and a few carbines just about everything they make is limited to the pistol category.  And if that number includes firearms made at their US factory only, then that narrows it down even more.

I wasn't surprised that Ruger is #1.  They are a very complete manufacturer, covering all varieties of firearm.  Oddly enough I've never owned a Ruger, other than a P89 that I acquired in trade and quickly traded off in turn.  I could never warm to their P-series pistols, they were just chunky and heavy to me, though they are built like tanks and do have their fans.  If I were to get any Ruger right now, it would probably be their SR-762 rifle or maybe the Hawkeye Predator.  That odd laminate wood stock that is, somehow, green in color for some reason appeals to me.

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 07:03:34 AM »
P series?  Thinking of SIG?

Ruger has the SR line and the pocket pistols.  I kinda like their SR40c, if I were to ever desire a .40 that is one I would consider, and in a 1911 the SR version seems to get decent reviews, I still need to get something in that classic platform one day.  My sister has the LCP and LCR, I have an LCR (makes a good ankle-stash b/u).

I wouldn't say no to a GP100 either.  I have the 10/22 Takedown model, nice, want more quality time with it, got the doohickey I can attach three rotary mags to.

Don't know much about their AR's or Mini's (30 looks nice) and I know their hunting rifles remain popular.

The Hawkeye Predator does look nice, looks like a solid platform...thinking of a longer range can-you-feel-me? reach?   :D

They are a good outfit, make a range of things and are good quality...they have a good thing going, hopefully it stays that way!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:51:32 AM »
That odd laminate wood stock that is, somehow, green in color for some reason appeals to me.

You need to check out Boyds.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 06:18:44 PM »

No, Ruger had a P-series of pistols in the 80s and 90s.  Those were their first centerfire semi autos. Serviceable, inexpensive, but not going to win any beauty contests for sure.

The SIG P-series on the other hand are classics.  My first .45 was a SIG P220, which I still have.  I wouldn't mind getting the Mk. 25 version of a P226.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 06:58:41 AM »

No, Ruger had a P-series of pistols in the 80s and 90s.  Those were their first centerfire semi autos. Serviceable, inexpensive, but not going to win any beauty contests for sure.

The SIG P-series on the other hand are classics.  My first .45 was a SIG P220, which I still have.  I wouldn't mind getting the Mk. 25 version of a P226.

Ahh, gotchya...I wasn't thinking older models...plus when you mentioned chunky and heavy and "P" and I thought SIG, and I kinda like a handgun with some heft to it, bulkiness maybe not too much, but heft.  Even though I like my Glock's (may they rest safely at the lake bottom!) there are times where an all-metal platform is nice.  That P89 almost looks like SIG and Walther had a love-child.  And the P345 almost looks related to the Remington R51.  My oldest (lake dweller) is an old AMT.  Heft.
 :D

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 11:05:23 AM »
Yeah the Remington R51.  I really did want to like that pistol when it was first announced.  A lot of people thought it was ugly, but I thought it was rather cool looking in a retro-futuristic way.  But man what a lemon.  Now Remington is trying to get a striker fired polymer frame pistol into the market.  They might do better to just focus on cleaning up the reputation of their model 870 shotguns and model 700 rifles.  Those two used to be reigning kings of the shotgun and sporting rifle worlds.  But I have heard Remington has cut a lot of corners ever since they got bought up by that capital group.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 11:59:16 AM »
Yeah, they have issues.

Cerberus Capital Management.  I am not overly fond of any private equity firm taking over anything...they are usually carrion eaters, feasting on the weak and dying, stripping off and selling the riper parts for whatever they can get, suck the life-blood out of what is left until it is dry.

No thanks.

And nice imagery, three-headed dog guarding Hell?  Screams "stay away from me"!

Run by Feinberg, old Drexel guy...and Dan Quayle and John Snow (no, not the fictional one) work for them too.

They also have DPMS, Bushmaster & Marlin in the gun division.

I thought they fixed the shell grab issue on the 870, the 700 trigger thing I don't know if I understand to this day wtf that is about.  The production rollout of the R51 was a complete fustercluck.  I thought they had that resolved now, but after something like that it's hard to get peoples interest.