Author Topic: Gunshot surveillance  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Gunshot surveillance
« on: March 06, 2017, 04:22:05 PM »
Oh boy, another system ripe for DOS attack and sabotage.

nypost.com/20a17/03/06/all-knowing-surveillance-system-detects-gunfire-all-across-america/

And if I fire blanks? Fireworks? Make so much noise that the signature can't be detected?  Find a way fo creating false positives?  Figure out how to block the communication? Its got to be wireless or wired,and if wired I bet it uses the AC grid..meaning you can plug into the grid and scramble the signal.

Can I create a sound loud enough to blow out the sensor? Can I put reflective surfaces around the sensor and effectively disable it?

And yes, they will be using this to record conversations on the street. How could they not?

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Gunshot surveillance
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 06:28:35 PM »
It's an antiquated notion I know but they would do well to remember "Consent of the governed".

It can be withdrawn. It has been for far less.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Gunshot surveillance
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 06:44:44 AM »
Most large cities have had this kind of system for some time, the perfect test environment...not sure about Chitcago, either never installed or the constant ring of gunfire has the thing so screwed up it can't tell one source from another.

But whatever, I'm with 'Soup...this is just one of many weights tilting things the wrong direction...corrective action will come, it's matter of when not if.

But yeah, looks like a vulnerable system on more than one front.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.