Author Topic: Delta takes its turn at being a bag of dicks  (Read 5253 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Delta takes its turn at being a bag of dicks
« on: May 05, 2017, 07:39:04 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/05/04/family-booted-from-delta-flight-and-threatened-with-jail-after-refusing-to-give-up-toddlers-seat/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.573de37d280b

I'm glad I don't fly anymore...I'd punch idiots like this to death...go to prison...probably kill more idiots before being ganged up on by those I would target next for termination...

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
Re: Delta takes its turn at being a bag of dicks
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 01:50:56 PM »

I'm glad I don't fly anymore...I'd go to prison...probably kill more idiots before being ganged up on by those I would target next for termination...

You're the white guy...with the red hair...

http://youtu.be/oAHwnaYrk0k
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »

I'm glad I don't fly anymore...I'd go to prison...probably kill more idiots before being ganged up on by those I would target next for termination...

You're the white guy...with the red hair...

http://youtu.be/oAHwnaYrk0k

Heh.  I got the attitude alright...I'm just a little bigger, so maybe I can do a little more damage!   :D

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 06:34:15 PM »
Now we're just getting takers looking for their big payday.

You don't EVER fly under someone else's name.  That's one rule that's there for a purpose.  This white trash family, thought they were above it.  Or knew, and they're just looking for their big welfare check, courtesy of Delta.

::smallestviolin::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 08:34:43 PM »
This guy was way off base. If he wants to make himself into some kind of focal point for a movement against airlines, he's barking up the wrong tree. You don't get to just give your airline ticket to someone else. Doesn't work that way.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »
I'm amused by it all. A complete fuster-cluck. Everybody bad, everybody wrong, everybody sucks.

One of two things are going to happen with this, Either the government will get involved, in which case the bad will become diabolically bad, or all the bad publicity from all the shytty stunts the industry has been pulling will induce them to clean up their act.

...or they'll just keep writing humongous checks each time they F up.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 10:49:17 PM »
If people wanna agitate for airlines to alter the practice of overbooking flights, then people are gonna have to accept that they will be responsible for the higher fares that will surely result.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 08:26:48 AM »
If people wanna agitate for airlines to alter the practice of overbooking flights, then people are gonna have to accept that they will be responsible for the higher fares that will surely result.

What amazes me is that the airlines just don't accept that the "big payday" is still waaaay less expensive than bad publicity - especially if that publicity results in the government getting involved.  You had to pay someone $20K to get off a flight? Its small potatoes compare the government mandating, regulating or monitoring your processes.  Just filing the regulatory paperwork will ad 20K easy.

I am a bad traveller. I don't even like to travel on vacation.  I used to do it for work, and I was 100%  focused on getting my job done and getting home. And I would be on overbooked flights all of the time.  And the sums they offered for my seat were laughable.. and could only tempt some poor barista or student. I suspect you could start getting people to voluntarily give up their seats for $1000 cash + whatever accommodations were required.  I doubt it would seldom go above $5000 .. Say everyone knew that  the airline's top price was $50k. Does anyone really think a plane full of people will all wait for that number to come up? Especially if getting 50K approval requires a 45 minute wait on the tarmac while approvals are sought? 

Someone sitting there thinks,  okay - we aren't leaving till someone raises their hand. I could wait and hope I am the guy they pick when they go from 5000 to 10,000 or I can take the 5000 now.  No one wants to play the lottery when they reach $50K and everyone raises their hand.   At some point - a point far below any known maximum,  someone feels they are obtaining adequate compensation for waiting for another flight or spending another night in a hotel.  Hell, paying for a first class ticket on another airline leaving in 60 minutes,  will be enough.. 

Overbooking is the airlines decision, but you are basically playing an actuarial game. When the number comes up, insurances pays out.. it should be te same deal with the airline.  Too many people show up -  you owe them and should buy their seat back.  Failing to do so.. dumb.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 09:44:58 PM »
Ive been on an overbooked flight where they offered $400 and a free round trip ticket. I almost went for it. I like the free ticket, and 4 hundo spending money wouldn't suck. In the end, I decided I wanted to get home. Another couple hundo woulda probably motivated me.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 07:58:48 AM »
I'm amused by it all. A complete fuster-cluck. Everybody bad, everybody wrong, everybody sucks.

One of two things are going to happen with this, Either the government will get involved, in which case the bad will become diabolically bad, or all the bad publicity from all the shytty stunts the industry has been pulling will induce them to clean up their act.

...or they'll just keep writing humongous checks each time they F up.

Being a non-participant I enjoy the theater as well.  And I think the only reason the MFM covers this stuff is to gin up the hate so politicians do stick their noses into it and make a bad situation worse.  And I find it hard to GAFF about the airline companies too...they do stupid crap to hurt themselves PR-wise all the time, plus if people think rocking this overbooking boat will raise prices, guess what?  They know to the headcount and the pound what their profit margin is on every flight...they sold their souls to government decades ago...if people wanted affordable air travel they would have banned unions, de-regulated our oil industry to make domestic fuel cheap and plentiful and they could make it safe too by telling people fitting the stinking muzzie terrorist profile to piss off!

So yeah, I think it is a matter of when not if government eff's this industry up some more...

Whatever...

::smallestviolin::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 11:24:02 AM »
This guy was way off base. If he wants to make himself into some kind of focal point for a movement against airlines, he's barking up the wrong tree. You don't get to just give your airline ticket to someone else. Doesn't work that way.

He paid for the ticket. Shouldn't he be able to use it as he sees fit?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
No airline in the world will let you use a ticket issued to another person.  All he had to do was to get it changed.

Flying outside of the US I get to ditch a lot of the stupidity in the American system.  But not the fluid rules and not proving that I am who the ticket says I am.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 07:55:21 PM »

Nope. That was his argument, but it doesn't work that way at all. A purchased ticket is for a specific individual, not a transferable general admission ticket.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 06:36:15 AM »

Nope. That was his argument, but it doesn't work that way at all. A purchased ticket is for a specific individual, not a transferable general admission ticket.

In a way the airlines and their hardass no-refund/no-exchange ticket policy asks for that to happen...how many times has someone in your family, circle of friends or co-workers purchased a ticket and then have a family emergency or something...the airline expects people to eat that loss...in most cases it doesn't come to light, but I think it goes on more than you think...and frankly if it was me, regardless if the ticket is in my name or not and the effing airline overbooks the flight (and lets face it, many times this happens because airline employees can fly any time they want and they are never the ones being bumped) I say that's tough crap on them...somebody not already seated can take another flight or bugger off.

What they are allowed to get away with flies in the face of common law and the concept and spirit of a contractual/transactional agreement.  I say if companies don't have to honor their end of a deal then the other party doesn't have to either...a stupid policy allowed by unelected bureaucrats and other neerdowells does not a rightful law make!

So glad I don't fly!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 07:59:39 AM »
Coulter got bumped from her reserved seat for???

And the flight attendant says "I don't know" when asked why?

Uhh huh...

https://www.weaselzippers.us/348971-hell-hath-no-fury-like-ann-coulter-removed-from-her-reserved-seat-on-delta-flight/