Author Topic: Widespread Ransomware Attacks  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Widespread Ransomware Attacks
« on: May 12, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-05-12/massive-ransomware-attack-goes-global-huge

Nice extortion racket these folks have going...target the most vulnerable systems...and demand tribute.  Who says piracy is dead?

But $300?   ::saywhat::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Widespread Ransomware Attacks
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »
We got an email from our CTO about this after I read it in the news.

Just like anything else, a little common sense goes a looooong way.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 09:04:49 AM »
Speaking of "common sense"...why does the media refer to what this guy did as an "accident"?

No you daft buggers, he exercised common sense and activated a domain name buried in the code and it successfully shut down the spread of the damn thing!

To be an accidental anything one would have to have no sense whatsoever and do something for reasons opposite of what was needed but lucked out anyway.

I swear, latter day earthlings are fricken DUMB!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 05:43:51 PM »
I will confess that I was unaware registering the domain would stop the malware until after i registered it, so initially it was accidental.

So it was accidentally on purpose.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
Luck is the intersection of education and preparation (that's sort of a paraphrase).

Both Home Depot and Lowes Home Improvement computers systems were sllooooowwww this evening.  Residuals?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 09:58:14 PM »
Luck is the intersection of education and preparation (that's sort of a paraphrase).

Both Home Depot and Lowes Home Improvement computers systems were sllooooowwww this evening.  Residuals?

I took the Mustang out for a ride today (rare only semi-rainy day ;'}

I had to get gas and there was a lineup at the register. It seems that the network was down and they couldn't process credit or debit cards. I had cash however and got to go to teh head of the line.

Cash talks!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 06:53:09 AM »

I took the Mustang out for a ride today (rare only semi-rainy day ;'}

I had to get gas and there was a lineup at the register. It seems that the network was down and they couldn't process credit or debit cards. I had cash however and got to go to teh head of the line.

Cash talks!

Another reason to carry a little extra...just in case...

::thumbsup::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 07:00:12 AM »
OK...it's hitting Asia too...and now after reading this:

The source of the attack is a delicate issue for the United States because the vulnerability on which the malicious software is based was published by a group called the Shadow Brokers, which last summer began publishing cybertools developed by the National Security Agency.

Government investigators, while not publicly acknowledging that the computer code was developed by American intelligence agencies as part of the country’s growing arsenal of cyberweapons, say they are still investigating how the code got out. There are many theories, but increasingly it looks as though the initial breach came from an insider, perhaps a government contractor.

Copycat variants of the malicious software behind the attacks have begun to proliferate, according to experts who were on guard for new attacks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/14/world/europe/cyberattacks-hack-computers-monday.html?_r=0

::facepalm::

Either by intent or negligence...the Deep State could be trying to benefit from this...at all of our expense!

::outrage::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 12:21:03 PM »
"Malware created by intelligence agencies can backfire on its creators," said Putin, speaking to media in Beijing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/05/15/nhs-cyber-attack-latest-authorities-warn-day-chaos-ransomware/

He isn't wrong!

NSA is a bigger threat to us than Russia!