Author Topic: I'm pretty sure NSA et al figured this out a long time ago  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: I'm pretty sure NSA et al figured this out a long time ago
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 09:20:06 AM »
Why is it I just don't feel so secure any more?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »
If you think you have any privacy anymore (or have had any for decades) you are pretty naive. 

There are so many ways you can be spied on,  there is little you can do about it too.  Not just using the tech of the last two decades either.   Even older tech is still good too,  and still used I imagine.   

Take the telephone.   Yeah,  the police or the feds aren't listening to every call,  but some phone company tech can and will hear phone calls.  Just clamp a test set on,  and listen away.   Doesn't even have to leave the central office too.   It's not even hacking even.   There is no security at all on a phone line.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 07:08:23 AM »
It's not unreasonable paranoia when they literally are watching and listening to our every move!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 02:47:25 PM »
If you think you have any privacy anymore (or have had any for decades) you are pretty naive. 

There are so many ways you can be spied on,  there is little you can do about it too.  Not just using the tech of the last two decades either.   Even older tech is still good too,  and still used I imagine.   

Take the telephone.   Yeah,  the police or the feds aren't listening to every call,  but some phone company tech can and will hear phone calls.  Just clamp a test set on,  and listen away.   Doesn't even have to leave the central office too.   It's not even hacking even.   There is no security at all on a phone line.

Oh hell, when I was working for MCI, even the terminal techs were known to have done that every now and then, despite it being a strict no-no.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:47:05 PM »
Years ago I figured out that I could intercept cellphone conversations on a scanner. There was no selectivity so you got what you got, but sometimes it was funny.

And then I almost got arrested. What I didn't know was, although it is perfectly legal to intercept those conversations, it is illegal to retransmit them over a loudspeaker.

Whoda thunkit?

::facepalm::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 06:59:12 AM »
Huh, I didn't think of rebroadcasting that?  That conversation I wandered into years ago about two married people not married to each other discussing their plans for their next illicit encounter behind their spouses backs might have been more entertaining had I done that!