Author Topic: Roasting garlic  (Read 2422 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Roasting garlic
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:30:28 PM »
We baked Italian bread the other day and I asked RickZ for his process for roasting garlic.  Here's what he wrote:

Okay, to roast garlic there are two options.  I go with option 2.

Preheat oven to 350o.

Option 1:  Cut a knob of garlic in half.

Option 2:  Cut the very top off a knob of garlic, 1/4 inch or so down, exposing the cloves.

Take a piece of aluminum foil, maybe 4 to 6 inches wide.  Place the trimmed garlic knob in the center of the foil.  Drizzle just a little olive oil on the cut side.  Wrap up the garlic knob not snug but securely (you want it a little loose around the knob for steam to form, but you want the foil well sealed), and place into oven for around 30 minutes (you can place it on a cookie sheet, but I just place the foil package right on the rack, which is the reason for making sure it's well sealed).  After 30 minutes, remove from the oven, but leave garlic package wrapped.  After about 5-10 minutes, peel open the foil.  Let the knob cool to 'warm to the touch', but not so hot that it burns your hands.  Squeeze the cloves into a small glass bowl.  Now you can make a garlic paste.

Adding a pinch of coarse sea or kosher salt, use a fork to mash into a paste.  Once mashed, you have a couple of options.  You can added 1/2 to 3/4 cup grated cheese (either parmeggiano Reggiano, locatelli or pecarino Romano will do), a stick of softened unsalted butter (in the mashing process, the garlic will cool so that the butter does not melt right away) and maybe a half teaspoon or so each of dried oregano and basil and mix thoroughly.  Now you have seasoned, cheesy garlic butter that you can now liberally spread on bread, either medium thick slices or halves lengthwise.  Bake in a 350o oven (now isn't that convenient?) until the edges of the bread are brown to slightly blackened (that's a taste preference).  If using bread halves, once out of the oven, cut into 3" or so wide slices (I use a pizza cutter to do this).

Enjoy.

WARNING:  The smell will drive you crazy, and you'll be so hungry from the aroma the two of you will be lucky to have any garlic bread leftovers from a loaf of bread.  I know, that's a sacrifice, but somebody has to do it.

Happily, we made two loaves.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Roasting garlic
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:53:32 PM »
Mmmmmm....garlic!

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
 I'm an addict too!! I even deep fry it on a low temp barely a simmer and leave it in ther for half an hour or more(pealed) then fish the Garlick out and save the garlick infused oil for cooking.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »
I tend err on the side of being too generous with garlic so much so that my family makes fun of me. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 09:43:26 PM »
I tend err on the side of being too generous with garlic so much so that my family makes fun of me. 

There is no such thing as too much(when it's cooked)
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 07:27:53 AM »
Heck, I even use garlic powder as a salt substitute on many things.  And wherever I can cook it in something, it's in!

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:38:36 AM »

There is no such thing as too much(when it's cooked)

I know!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."