Author Topic: Gander Mountain gobbled up by Camping World  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Gander Mountain gobbled up by Camping World
« on: May 25, 2017, 02:54:23 PM »
http://www.gandermountain.com/faq.shtml

Idiots.  I wondered how it was going to work out for them expanding as rapidly as they did and creating those firearm super centers...the Obama Gun Saleman of Several Years Running Boom couldn't even pull in enough cash to offset the expansion costs apparently...CH11 and what I am guessing is a pennies on the dollar sale to Camping World (whoever the Hell they are?) and there they are.  Idiots actually built some of these damn stores practically right next door to Cabela's!  Whoever ran that outfit ran it literally into the dirt!

http://www.campingworld.com/shop/

Oh, I guess this Bowling Green seedling grew its RV business and now is looking to broaden its recreational offerings.

OK then, chaos spawned another's opportunity. 
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
Re: Gander Mountain gobbled up by Camping World
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 03:45:06 PM »
Camping World is run by Marcus Lemonis,  who became well known for his TV show "the profit" on CNBC.    It's an interesting show for sure.  He goes around investing in small businesses that have various problems.   Sometimes serious problem (which is good for tv drama, but a good way to loose a fortune fast).   Don't know how he thinks he is going to stop people from their drama and disfunction.    I suppose after the cameras go off,  he pushes out the dead weight.   Lots of people have good ideas for businesses,  but can't work their way out of a paper bag and a good idea is wasted.   I suppose he is looking for the good ideas to buy out and then fix.  So he is a scavenger in some ways.  Gander Mountain is just a big one.   

Frankly I would go around looking for well run small businesses needing capital to expand.   Certainly is plenty of those looking for a good partner.   But their wouldn't be any drama for the TV show.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 07:06:36 AM »
He'll have to shed some of this over-expansion, keep the most promising locations...oh, and look at more reasonable pricing too, part of old Gander's problem was a higher mark-up on a lot of their stuff...they need to be more competitive with middle market competitors and not try to take on the big boys directly.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »
When Gander Mountain expanded into this area, they opened one of the gun-focused stores nearby.  I was not impressed.  Their prices were really high.  I much prefer Cabela's.  Even though they are still pricier than online stores, their prices are usually close enough that the convenience of being able to browse the stock makes up for it.  And actually their ammo prices are sometimes very competitive with online places.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 07:05:15 AM »
I like Cabela's a lot more too, and if you are patient and take advantage of their club offers you can get some decent deals.  And yes I found their ammo prices more competitive.  And I think their quality and selection of other items is better.  If I can find better deals online for stuff, fine...but for brick & mortar Cabela's is tops in my book.  I used to go to a Gander that was nearby, more so when the ammo runs happened because a) they were closer and b) I had their delivery timing down.  I bought a couple toys from them over the years but yeah their prices in general tended to be to the higher end.  It is obvious they were poorly managed from the corporate level, they made all the wrong moves.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 12:45:35 AM »
When we got a Cabela's and a Bass Pro Shop in the area,  both within a year,  it killed the Gander Mountain.    They even spent a million remodeling,  but their store still paled in relation.    Gander is closing our local store,  Camping World is taking a pass on it. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 06:50:13 AM »
Yup, I expect where they need to be closed they will be, next time I cruise to Cabela's in Rogers I'll look to see if they closed the one they put practically next door...I bet they do, or have done so already.