Author Topic: Vote Expected Soon on Judicial Nomination of Left-Wing Law Professor Goodwin Liu  (Read 1995 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has filed a cloture petition on the pending nomination of Berkeley Law Professor Goodwin Liu to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

A vote on the nomination could come as early as tomorrow. The National Review‘s Ed Whelan comments here (Whelan is a former Justice Department lawyer). I earlier discussed the Liu nomination here.  Liu has virtually no experience in the courtroom, and has argued that “‘free enterprise, private ownership of property, and limited government” are right-wing ideological “code words.”

Liu is a big supporter of race-based busing, arguing it should be required not merely within school districts, but across school district lines to create what are effectively region-wide racial quotas, a radical claim rejected by the Supreme Court long ago (the Supreme Court rejects busing across district lines even in desegregation cases). CEI filed an amicus brief in the Seattle Schools case against race-based school assignments within a school system (the racial percentages in that case were struck down in a 5-to-4 vote after being upheld by the Ninth Circuit, to which Liu has been nominated).

At the National Review link:

So just how radical is Goodwin Liu, President Obama’s latest nominee to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals? In an administration studded with Leftists well out of the mainstream of legal and political thought, Liu stands out.

He is of the opinion that if you believe in the basic precepts of American liberty and economic freedom, you are ideologically suspect and unfit to sit on the Supreme Court. In 2005 he wrote an article for Bloomberg in which he criticized Supreme Court judicial nominee John G. Roberts, Jr., for belonging to organizations that promote “free enterprise, private ownership of property, and limited government.” According to Liu, these are “code words for an ideological agenda hostile to environmental, workplace, and consumer protections.” Liu warned that the Senate needed to find out about Robert’s “honest and considered beliefs about the Constitution he is sworn to uphold.”

Not a bad directive for those members of the Senate Judiciary Committee who will be examining Liu and his profound and constantly expressed hostility to the rule of law and the sanctity of the Constitution.

Good grief.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
 ::speechless::

I'll vote for Phil E. Buster instead thank you!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
One comment on H/A said that "Dick" Lugar would probably stick his middle finger at Indiana voters once again to which I will replay, they should probly stick a condom on him limiting the potential damage. Effing RINO's ::puke::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Thankful for small favors.  Can the WH make judicial appointments during recess or is that only for Executive office/Cabinet positions?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Delta Force

• Likes the place
  • "You can run, but you'll just die tired!"
Thankful for small favors.  Can the WH make judicial appointments during recess or is that only for Executive office/Cabinet positions?
As far as I know, the POTUS can not make judicial recess appoints, and it's a da*n good thing.  Just think what our Federal judiciary would look like if this jacka$$ could recess appoint judges. ::facepalm::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
As far as I know, the POTUS can not make judicial recess appoints, and it's a da*n good thing.  Just think what our Federal judiciary would look like if this jacka$$ could recess appoint judges. ::facepalm::

Thanks, DF.  That's exactly the potential scenario which prompted me to ask.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
I believe he can recess appoint them, but if the Senate fails to ratify in the next new session the recess appointee is removed and a new appointment must be made.  Typically this isn't done because it really burns bridges, more so because these are judges and not political officeholders.

We'll see what Obamakov does...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recess_appointment

So.  He can.

Speaking from the bottom half of the glass here, I say he will because Liu is just his kind of guy.

Curses.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
And if that is the case, Obamakov will recess-appoint him again the next time around too...if the Senate changes hands in January 2013 then all he can hope to gain is two years for this POS to cause trouble in the 9th, which is as we all know, already a tragic joke!