Author Topic: The Right thing  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
The Right thing
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:28:40 AM »
With all of the navel gazing and hand wringing over using the lefts tactics against them , I found this very interesting

http://adaptivecurmudgeon.com/2017/07/05/general-howes-dog/

(Complete with photo citation- thanks AD)

Even in the midst of a bloody war there will still be room for acts of kindness to demonstrate what we really want for the world and our society.  Interrupting a despicable play, is perhaps a despicable act,  just as is crossing the Delaware and murdering enemies on Christmas, but was necessary to win.  And really that is what we should be watching.. the line between what is necessary, and what is simply mean or done out of revenge.  That is not as simple as it sounds and I know it.. but if Washington could do it, so can we.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
Re: The Right thing
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 09:38:44 AM »
I LOVE poking timid pastors in the eye by telling them that, although a Christian gentleman, George Washington shot & killed our enemies in response to tyranny; and that although Washington read his Bible, he didn't think it wise to read it to the charging Brits on the field of battle.

He temporarily put his bible down while picking up sword & musket!
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 01:11:12 PM »
With all of the navel gazing and hand wringing over using the lefts tactics against them , I found this very interesting

http://adaptivecurmudgeon.com/2017/07/05/general-howes-dog/

(Complete with photo citation- thanks AD)

Even in the midst of a bloody war there will still be room for acts of kindness to demonstrate what we really want for the world and our society.  Interrupting a despicable play, is perhaps a despicable act,  just as is crossing the Delaware and murdering enemies on Christmas, but was necessary to win.  And really that is what we should be watching.. the line between what is necessary, and what is simply mean or done out of revenge.  That is not as simple as it sounds and I know it.. but if Washington could do it, so can we.

When it's war, it isn't murder.

To have killed the dog would have been murder.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 02:24:27 PM »

When it's war, it isn't murder.

To have killed the dog would have been murder.

Isn't the dog giving aid and comfort to the enemy?

And there is a big difference between this

and how the colonials fought.

I am not saying they were wrong to do so ( and fictional  Mal would probably say the same) , nor would  I insist upon the term "murder",  but  it would be erroneous to suggest that Washington's tactics were always above moral question- but they were always necessary.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 02:46:57 PM »
It was a goddam innocent dog, Weisshaupt.  No good, moral purpose would have been achieved by murdering it, even during war, unlike Washington's tactics.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 07:25:06 AM »
There is daily personal self-defense (that's how I see Mal's quote above) and there is war (in which there are are very few rules...just certain lines you do not cross unless you are prepared for the retaliation coming your way)...and in war random acts of kindness occur spontaneously and often are rewarded in some small fashion and in unanticipated ways...in this case there was nothing to be gained by killing Howe's dog...

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.