Author Topic: Hedge Funds Buying Farmland  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Hedge Funds Buying Farmland
« on: May 19, 2011, 10:15:52 AM »
http://www.observer.com/hedge-funds-running-farms-05172011

Soros is of course doing the same. Wonder if this is part of the bullion drop? The hedgies realized you couldn't eat it?
Point is more people are seeing the writing on the wall

However before you run right out and buy some, keep in mind

1) Farmland is usually the first thing confiscated by Communist regimes,
2) during the fall of Rome, laws were passed to keep farmers on their land, prevent them from sellng it, and taxed/fined them for not producing and selling at the approved price. (The fall of Rome has some very Atlas Shrugged aspects to it)
3) traditional Farmland is large and often remote from neighbors making - making it hard to defend.

They go after the producers during a collapse - so you need to be a producer but not look like you are on paper.   Less fertile an smaller land may be a better choice- especially if you have nearby access to National forest or other government land you just press into service when you need it.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Hedge Funds Buying Farmland
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:19:54 PM »
All not looking like a prducer means to me is buy what you need for youself and if you can do it in combination with others  so you have a cluster of people doing the same you can raise what you all need and rotate things as not to attract unwanted attention.

It also cuts down on equipment costs because it's shared.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Hedge Funds Buying Farmland
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:17:17 PM »

They go after the producers during a collapse - so you need to be a producer but not look like you are on paper.   Less fertile an smaller land may be a better choice- especially if you have nearby access to National forest or other government land you just press into service when you need it.
I've always felt God lead us to the home we purchased.  We're in a secluded area but we have close neighbors and back up to public land and are a stone's throw away from a river...a very rural looking setting in a very surburban area.

I love this place. :)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."