Author Topic: George Romero, 77  (Read 1632 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
George Romero, 77
« on: July 17, 2017, 08:20:08 AM »
The original "Dead" flick while looking dated and campy now, was actually the first seriously scary zombie flick...if not for it what followed like the "Walking Dead" and other productions may not have been possible.

http://iotwreport.com/rip-george-romero/

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-me-george-romero-20170716-story.html

Never a big horror fan in general, I'm kind of picky in that genre, but "Night of" was one of those flicks it was hard to ignore, hard to look away from.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: George Romero, 77
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:51:54 AM »
For some odd reason, this makes me sadder than most celeb deaths. I have always loved the genre because of its commentary on base human nature, and not only was Romero the original, he was the best. I think his 90s remake of the original film starring Tony Todd was perhaps the best film ever in the genre.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 11:47:20 AM »
Yeah...I cannot say I would be too moved to post anything if John Carpenter kicked...(not to diss Carpenter fans)...

Something about being the first to do anything well...all others following will usually appear lesser...

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:31:56 PM »
Oh man... you and I are gonna have to throw down Libertas!  ::mooning::  ::kissface:: John Carpenter's version of "The Thing" starring Kurt Russell is in my top-ten fave movies of all time. Frikkin love it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 07:08:26 AM »
Oh man... you and I are gonna have to throw down Libertas!  ::mooning::  ::kissface:: John Carpenter's version of "The Thing" starring Kurt Russell is in my top-ten fave movies of all time. Frikkin love it.

Heh!  Yeah, that was OK...still I kinda like the campy old original.

IMO Carpenter's best is:

1-Big Trouble in Little China - The mix of martial arts, Chinese black magic, Kurt Russell and snappy dialogue is pretty good.
2-They Live - "I came here for two things..."
3-Escape from New York - Snake Plissken, enough said.

The rest of his resume doesn't do much for me, others may disagree.

OK, so I might post something if Carpenter kicked...ya got me there!   ;D

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »

Heh!  Yeah, that was OK...still I kinda like the campy old original.

IMO Carpenter's best is:

1-Big Trouble in Little China - The mix of martial arts, Chinese black magic, Kurt Russell and snappy dialogue is pretty good.
2-They Live - "I came here for two things..."
3-Escape from New York - Snake Plissken, enough said.

The rest of his resume doesn't do much for me, others may disagree.

OK, so I might post something if Carpenter kicked...ya got me there!   ;D

Those three are goodies as well. Given the trend of Hollywood remakes, I've wished a time or two that some bona fide conservative film maker would remake "They Live". Awesome opportunity for conservative commentary.

- Thomas Jefferson