Author Topic: 8-21-17 Total Solar Eclipse  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
8-21-17 Total Solar Eclipse
« on: August 16, 2017, 08:04:59 AM »

The eclipse will occur across the continental United States on Aug. 21. The moon's shadow first hits land north of Newport, Ore., at 10:15 a.m. Pacific time. It will then make its way southeast through Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina. The shadow will leave the continental United States close to Charleston, S.C., at about 2:49 p.m. Eastern time.

Not in the path obviously, not going to try to drive anywhere and catch it...whatever partial part I see I see...if it isn't cloudy, which chances are it probably will be...but I'll have my welders glass ready if there is anything to look at...

Looks like 80% from this map for my area...

https://eclipse.aas.org/eclipse-america/when-where

Southern IL looks like the hot spot...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: 8-21-17 Total Solar Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:49:56 PM »
I'm pretty close to the path of total eclipse, I think they said we'd get around 98% eclipse here.

F*cking global warming.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 12:52:29 PM »
I'm calling for the boycott of this racist activity!! A total eclipse, basically presents the moon in blackface...& that's unacceptable in today's cultural environment.

We may have to eventually take the moon down!

If you have a pair of those special glasses, you'll see the event for what it truly is...

;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:01:07 PM by Pablo de Fleurs »
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 02:01:30 PM »
TV down here showed the President and First Lady out at the White House viewing the eclipse - wonder what the 'moonbats[' will have to say and boycott about that ?
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
The moonbats will hope they go blind.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 02:27:05 PM »
Completely overcast & raining here in the Twin Cities NW suburbs. Got a little dimmer for a few minutes.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 02:36:48 PM »
Gunsmith and I waited too long and couldn't find the proper filters for viewing (and were too lazy to make our own).  It got pretty dark here; three quarters of the way through, I dashed outside to chase off the crows ravaging the tomato plants and was careful to not look up, although I wanted to do so.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 02:58:02 PM »
It lasted from 2:38 to 3:48 in NJ. We never reached full-eclipse stage - but I viewed it (approximately 7 walks onto my driveway using a piece of #11 arc-welding glass which tints it green) & just watched that last 10% of the moon disappear off the sun.

At peak, we reached approximately 2/3's coverage from our geographical angle.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »
TV down here showed the President and First Lady out at the White House viewing the eclipse - wonder what the 'moonbats[' will have to say and boycott about that ?

He'll be accused of taking a Lunar Vacation costing the American Taxpayers millions of dollars and his wife refused to hold his hand.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 06:03:29 PM »
We drove to Wyoming on the back roads to avoid the Sheeple driving on I-25.  Sadly that worked.  Was the most enjoyable high traffic drive I have ever been on.. back roads had more than normal traffic, but it was all of the people willing to leave the herd. Intersections that needed taking turns-- people TOOK TURNS. No one tried to do a double or butt in.  When in bumper to bumper several people MOVED into a  second lane that would merge within 100 feet to block  others who were using it  to try bypass the line, and the person stayed were they were -keeping thier s[pace in line open so they could move back after the merge. Mexican roadblock of the cheaters!  Going to cheat huh? Not here with us conservatives you won't.  And Yes the bad behavior was all by Subarus. Who could  have guessed?

But Our drive out started at 5am, we were in Torrington by 8. Roads were busy but moved along nicely. We stopped at the heritage museum since we had a few hours to kill,  and they invited us to watch the eclipse there.  Parking was pretty easy.. State patrol didn't want anyone parking along the highway and for the most part those without Clinton stickers on their cars obeyed.  But Parking wasn't an issue really.

We ate our picnic lunch and had perfectly clear skies. It started to get cold, like the sun had gone behind a cloud. 15 Minutes later it started to get dark, and that rainbow effect you see on the horizon at daybreak and sunset.. it was 360 degrees on every horizon and quite vivid. Our shadows became fuzzy, and then you saw patterns on the ground, like waves.. the shadows of the wind itself. Then we got the diamond ring and a corona around the moon that put every other picture I have ever seen of an eclipse to shame. I suspect its on of those things where a picture cannot do it justice. Our location should have had a minute or so of totality.. but it seemed like 20 seconds, then the diamond ring and it was over. 

Traffic home is when we got the bumper to bumper, and met a few jerks, but by and large EVERYONE was happy and being courteous. Some intersections had state patrol directing, but many did not.. and on a main highway ( 85) with traffic jammed bumper to bumper, and with NO LEGAL obligation to let those on a side street turning in from the left get on the freeway - the freeway stopped, and boy, girl,  everyone took turns letting a turner from the left get into the bumper to bumper fest  and it went well ( except for the Subaru who of  course though two cars should go per every one on the freeway)
It took about 4 hours to get home . So 7 hours of driving, a couple hours of waiting and a 60 minute event.  and it was totally worth it. The eclipse was spectacular, and you just have to see a total one before you can get the effect, plus  I got a glimpse of what driving in a civilized America would look like and I liked it.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:14:26 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 06:03:42 PM »
OK, that was funny!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 09:30:47 PM »
We drove to Wyoming on the back roads to avoid the Sheeple driving on I-25.  Sadly that worked.  Was the most enjoyable high traffic drive I have ever been on.. back roads had more than normal traffic, but it was all of the people willing to leave the herd. Intersections that needed taking turns-- people TOOK TURNS. No one tried to do a double or butt in.  When in bumper to bumper several people MOVED into a  second lane that would merge within 100 feet to block  others who were using it  to try bypass the line, and the person stayed were they were -keeping thier s[pace in line open so they could move back after the merge. Mexican roadblock of the cheaters!  Going to cheat huh? Not here with us conservatives you won't.  And Yes the bad behavior was all by Subarus. Who could  have guessed?

But Our drive out started at 5am, we were in Torrington by 8. Roads were busy but moved along nicely. We stopped at the heritage museum since we had a few hours to kill,  and they invited us to watch the eclipse there.  Parking was pretty easy.. State patrol didn't want anyone parking along the highway and for the most part those without Clinton stickers on their cars obeyed.  But Parking wasn't an issue really.

We ate our picnic lunch and had perfectly clear skies. It started to get cold, like the sun had gone behind a cloud. 15 Minutes later it started to get dark, and that rainbow effect you see on the horizon at daybreak and sunset.. it was 360 degrees on every horizon and quite vivid. Our shadows became fuzzy, and then you saw patterns on the ground, like waves.. the shadows of the wind itself. Then we got the diamond ring and a corona around the moon that put every other picture I have ever seen of an eclipse to shame. I suspect its on of those things where a picture cannot do it justice. Our location should have had a minute or so of totality.. but it seemed like 20 seconds, then the diamond ring and it was over. 

Traffic home is when we got the bumper to bumper, and met a few jerks, but by and large EVERYONE was happy and being courteous. Some intersections had state patrol directing, but many did not.. and on a main highway ( 85) with traffic jammed bumper to bumper, and with NO LEGAL obligation to let those on a side street turning in from the left get on the freeway - the freeway stopped, and boy, girl,  everyone took turns letting a turner from the left get into the bumper to bumper fest  and it went well ( except for the Subaru who of  course though two cars should go per every one on the freeway)
It took about 4 hours to get home . So 7 hours of driving, a couple hours of waiting and a 60 minute event.  and it was totally worth it. The eclipse was spectacular, and you just have to see a total one before you can get the effect, plus  I got a glimpse of what driving in a civilized America would look like and I liked it.

Good account.  Thanks, Weisshaupt, for posting it.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »
I was very tired writing that - still am - must be old age, since I didn't actually do anything physical yesterday. . I don't like it.

But I should have said that all of the drivers on the way out were 100%  courteous and polite. It was only after some of the herd animals found out from talking to others that there was a better way , did we see anyone trying to cut ahead, or double turn and so forth. And in every instance it was a Subaru. You should have seen the look on that driver's face when the guy in front of me served into the right hand lane to block him from forcing his way into (another) merge ahead ( those 10 car lengths are worth the strife, and irritation!)  while I hung back and refused to make up the open ground in front of me so the blocker could get back in easily.  But then the cheaters took to using the shoulder to get around the blocker, and since these were back roads. there was no oncoming traffic and some decided to just use the oncoming  lane to "pass" -  IN bumper to bumper traffic where no one could let them in even if they wanted to ( yeah, those 100 cars you passed? Totally worth your life, the life of someone else and an accident that blocks the road for hours!) .  And its back roads so no cops.  And yes. It was always  God Damn Subaru or a SUV with a Liberal Bumper sticker. Every.Single. Time.  It was an educational experience for the kids though... so they know the bitchin' I do about liberals isn't made up.  And it went really pretty well for were I was even though Wyoming's population doubled for the day

https://collegian.com/2017/08/solar-eclipse-chasers-double-wyomings-population/

Though really it was a great day with my family, singing along to songs as we drove ( We have a family playlist with everyone's songs; a mix of Anime themes, favorites from childhood ( Garden Song, Rainbow Connection),  folk ,  classic 60's & 80s rock, modern country, and 80s rock and classical)  and its always pleasing when the family sings along with one of the songs you picked...

We also had a good conversation about Intelligent  design with the kids ( my son, like me , is very rational, and at the moment still rejects the concept. He is 15 and knows everything...)

My son was very excited by the sight, and I asked him  how evolution could possibly have given him an emotional  appreciation for a rarely occurring event  as a survival advantage.  Fear perhaps would be an instinctual reaction, but he admitted it wasn't fear he felt.   It was elation because it was "cool" -- I said "sure. But what about it makes it "cool"?  Why do you experience  Awe when witnessing the basic, simple and fundamental workings of planetary clockwork? Isn't it, after all, just a shadow?  Your mind  completely comprehends this rationally, so why would you feel excitement or Awe when it happens? How is that an evolutionary advantage?
"Earth, you know, that planet where all of those laws of large numbers allowed the 21 interlocked  evolutionary changes necessary for biological  cells to work to occur simultaneously, where  evolution created  a sentient creature who instinctively feels joy at nature's beauty ? Its also the planet where its own  moon ( the only inner planet to have one)  happens to be the exact right  size and distance to block out the sun's disc, but NOT its corona ( which appeared with a bluish tint to my eye, but my eyes aren't the best) . Isn't the wonder that you feel a result of seeing one of God's fingerprints on his handiwork?"

My son had to change tactic at that point and suggest that if God existed he could find better ways to communicate with his creation.  I admitted that he could, but perhaps there is a reason he chooses not to?  Maybe Religion requires faith BECAUSE  if he were to be ever present on our daily lives the AWE you felt at the eclipse and the perspective it provides  would influence your behavior? Perhaps full proof of his existence would motivate more people to obey him out of awe or fear and perhaps he doesn't want that? Perhaps he really only wants your obedience if you give to to him freely and wit love, and the only way to let you have that choice without Awe or Fear manipulating you is to leave his existence unproved and potentially in doubt? Perhaps there are things you can learn better or only if  a parent isn't looking over your shoulder?

He got quiet then and we went back to singing songs.. I was the same as a kid, so there is still hope.

Today the sky is 100%  overcast at the moment, and yesterday it was 100%  clear - at least where I was.   Perhaps not just my son needed to see that Eclipse.  And perhaps my good day of driving and the relatively safe transit of millions of people wasn't a coincidence either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/science/total-solar-eclipse-day.html?mcubz=0
"The weather cooperated along much of the eclipse’s path, which included parts of 14 states. Scientists in Salem, Ore., who had gambled that skies would be clear, were not disappointed. They shouted and hugged each other as totality ended, knowing that their cameras and other instruments — many of them meant to gain a better understanding of the mysterious corona — captured the eclipse under ideal conditions."

neat progressive image in this one too

http://abcnews.go.com/US/total-solar-eclipse-2017-totality-phase-begins-us/story?id=49251339

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41010898
( take a look at the progressive image.. cool)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/the-great-american-eclipse-is-finally-here/2017/08/20/5d243c32-8506-11e7-ab27-1a21a8e006ab_story.html?utm_term=.27b5445294e1

My original plan was to just watch it from the house ( 97%  total) My wife insisted we go into the millions of person exodus, and I am ever so glad she did. Seeing totality is a completely different experience.  But perhaps my Wife newfound dedication to God and insistence on a prayer before we left was also responsible. 

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:34:18 AM by Weisshaupt »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 10:22:10 AM »
Driving for long periods of time plus the added necessity of hyper-vigilance required by crowded roads and trying to deal with the misbehavior of the miscreants -- it's more stressful and exhausting than one would think and it takes its toll.

I've been known to block the paths of the zoom-ahead and cut-in types.  It's been extra-satisfying at those times when the driver behind me double-teams with me by blocking on another avenue.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 11:30:24 AM »
I was thinking of driving down to Nebraska or Missouri...but ti looks like their forecast was crappier than mine, and the cities looked worse than the lake...so I stayed at the lake...it was cloudy, which kinda worked to my advantage...could use peripheral vision and get snippets through clouds...we were only about 80% here so it darkened a bit but nothing dramatic...animals did pipe down during the period which is common...

About the most interest pic I could manage near our peak...

That's it.  I did smoke a Rocky Patel "Dark Dominion" maduro puro in honor of this celestial black-face event!   :D

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 06:51:24 PM »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 11:18:44 AM »
Naturally, we had thick clouds come in right before and during the moment of maximum occlusion.  But for 90 minutes beforehand, I was able to see the moon covering more and more of the sun, and that was cool.  At maximum coverage, it was about as dark as a typical summer evening at around 8:30 PM. Crickets began chirping.

Honestly though, I was expecting it to be darker.  The videos from Oregon showed it dark as night, and I thought with 98% coverage we would be close to that.

On the subject of assholes in traffic, I find it an interesting study of human psychology how you can form completely non-verbal alliances with other drivers to punish those flaunting the rules. This is clearly a fundamental trait of human psychology and I suspect it's the foundation of all society. It's interesting to me how this can play out in dynamic situations where alliances are temporary and among people who do not know each other. I think there is a lesson in this for the interesting times to come.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 07:13:27 AM »
Box in those fart-huffing Prius drivers!