Author Topic: Not a "newbie" - but it sure feels that way, been gone so long.  (Read 8084 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Have finished all of my classes - 5 years worth, then wife and I thought we would buy new cars for several doctors - i.e. back for me and eye for her.  It's been a grin and they didn't even give us a ride
 in them.  Three close friends died, the last just last week, but that's the way of life.  Anyway glad to be back, hopefully y'all haven't kicked me out.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Not a "newbie" - but it sure feels that way, been gone so long.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:10:02 PM »
We have done no such thing and glad to "see" you.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 08:29:20 AM »
Dang, Rusty! Great to see you are "here."

Yeah, it's the age of weddings, funerals and grandchildren. And surgeries.

God Bless, brother!
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
Follow-up;  One of the 'friends' I mentioned that passed away - Former member here, Jeff Lindstrom -aka- oldcoasstie 6468.  Jeff left us on April 9, 2017.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 09:12:32 AM »
Have finished all of my classes - 5 years worth, then wife and I thought we would buy new cars for several doctors - i.e. back for me and eye for her.  It's been a grin and they didn't even give us a ride
 in them.  Three close friends died, the last just last week, but that's the way of life.  Anyway glad to be back, hopefully y'all haven't kicked me out.

It's (not so) funny how life has a habit of getting in the way. It happens to all of us. It's good to see you back again!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 09:13:18 AM »
Follow-up;  One of the 'friends' I mentioned that passed away - Former member here, Jeff Lindstrom -aka- oldcoasstie 6468.  Jeff left us on April 9, 2017.

My condolences - thank you for updating us!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 09:52:12 AM »
I was reviewing some of oldcoasstie's posts. He had a posting style that was friendly and familiar like an old pair of shoes. He was devoted to his beloved Coast Guard and many of his posts were memorials to fellow Coasties.

And a bunch were corny old jokes. Lots of those were laced with images - screenshots, gifs, and cartoons. One of the more disappointing things about the internet is that, due to a change in the way the hosting outfits conduct business, most of those pictures are now lost - scattered to the outer reaches of the webosphere.

It's a damned shame.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »
I was reviewing some of oldcoasstie's posts. He had a posting style that was friendly and familiar like an old pair of shoes. He was devoted to his beloved Coast Guard and many of his posts were memorials to fellow Coasties.

And a bunch were corny old jokes. Lots of those were laced with images - screenshots, gifs, and cartoons. One of the more disappointing things about the internet is that, due to a change in the way the hosting outfits conduct business, most of those pictures are now lost - scattered to the outer reaches of the webosphere.

It's a damned shame.

Jeff and I only had a little over 1 year of service that over lapped.  We bounced around to different web sights and were back and forth on the phone for years.  He was a member of the Western Great Lakes Association.  For years he ask me if I could be a guest speaker about being a founding member of the USCG Honor Guard and unfortunately every time I always had family commitments.  In 2014 he ask again, and I shocked the h*ll out of him and could make it.  As luck would have it, it was being held that year in the same Wisconsin town that my son lives in. Yes I did see my son [stayed for extra two days], but the three days of the reunion - well lets just say -- I do remember some of it.

As always Jeff -- RIP my friend.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »

I really hate to hear that. He will be missed.

But we're sure glad your back. Hope you  and the missus have healed. And don't be a stranger!
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 06:33:21 PM »
  Sadly most of us are getting up in years but it is what it is.  Glad to see you back.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 12:15:32 PM »
Sorry to hear of Jeff's passing, he was a good egg and I liked his posts, R.I.P. Jeff.

And glad to hear from you again Rusty, you are always welcome here!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.