Author Topic: 14er Fever can be deadly  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
14er Fever can be deadly
« on: August 28, 2017, 07:51:44 AM »
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/27/climber-dies-capitol-peak-aspen/

They know the risks.

And part of me would weep if we completely eliminate risk taking...the gene pool is to effeminate and chickensh*t as it is...keep the nanny-staters out...people make mistakes, yes...it happens...but the way the batshyt world is now the first impulse is to regulate and restrict...free people can sort this out without any state interference.  I guess we'll see...but I have my doubts...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: 14er Fever can be deadly
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 10:46:20 AM »

They know the risks.

Maybe. Capitol is a Class IV climb. You SHOULD be roping up. But there are probably too many people on that peak now to do that safely, and a bunch of people who have no clue what is safe and what isn't. ( No, I have not done  Capitol)

The influx of Libtards form California has turned bagging 14'ers into a Fad. When I  took the Kids to Mt. Sherman the peak was packed - at 5:30 am. A lot of people were night climbing the thing. That is just STUPID in my opinion. Sherman is tame, and in my opinion the easiest 14'er, and its still stupid to try climbing it in the dark by flashlight. People are doing it to say they did it. I used to take people up that peak in my 20's  and a busy day on that Mountain then was 25-30 people.  Now "everyone is doing it"  - There have been groups trying to restrict access to the 14'ers for years,  trying to force the use of certain routes and so on.  I used to oppose it because the 250 - 1000 people climbing them in a given week  aren't hurting anything. Now that you have 10,000 or more climbing them - yeah, you probably need to start regulating it.

Here is the Captiol KNife Edge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbi47Pft4bU

Now imagine a line of people tying to navigate it in both directions?

And the worse part is almost NONE  of them are there because they love being at timberline, love being there - They do it so they can brag to their friends.  There are 45 peaks above 14,000 in Colorado - Got to collect them all.

And now its spreading to 13'ers
He what about that one that is 13940? Yeah, no one climbs that one.
Colorado Mountain club puts log/registers  on the top , and many of those logs are years old - and only half full

Guess which ones I wants to climb? And as for the Dumb F*ck Peak beggars, they don't fall off the cliffs near enough

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:29:33 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: 14er Fever can be deadly
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 11:23:33 AM »
I don't care if climbers self-regulate themselves, educate themselves...any of that...I just don't want any government or quasi-government busybodies sticking their noses in and mucking things up with red tape, paperwork, fees, rules up the ying-yang, fines, patrols and all that crap!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.