Author Topic: History research  (Read 6455 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
History research
« on: August 29, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »
Since history is hardly taught in school anymore, I started a history research project to give to my grandkids [if I can live that long].  Have already printed every years calendar from 1770 through 2025.  Now doing the months of each year and bringing in as many family births and facts that I have from my genealogy research plus other important facts of history for each day.  Hope this old fart hasn't bite off more than I can chew ...  ::oldman:: ::whatgives::
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: History research
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:23:14 AM »
Chewing will be dependent upon how big a family you have!  History happens every day...your denominator will determine your workload!

Good luck!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 09:06:31 PM »
Dad had eleven brothers and sisters, need big bite for just that.  Mom one brother, wife was only child.  Mom's side was some of the founding fathers of our hometown, in early 1800's.  If I had stayed there I was fifth generation in one of the home town churches -- looks like trouble to me.
Oh well spent over 5 years doing research on Presidents for the grandkids, and 5 1/2 years on Bible studies, two years during study on First Ladies, and don't know how long it's been on presidential contenders, so l guess it proves I'm a gluten for punishment, but it keeps me off the street at night ....  ::thinking::
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:18:21 PM by rustybayonet »
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 09:23:55 PM »
Dad had eleven brothers and sisters, need big bite for just that.  Mom one brother, wife was only child.  Mom's side was some of the founding fathers of our hometown, in early 1800's.  If I had stayed there I was fifth generation in one of the home town churches -- looks like trouble to me.
Oh well spent over 5 years doing research on Presidents for the grandkids, and 5 1/2 years on Bible studies, two years during study on First Ladies, and don't know how long it's been on presidential contenders, so l guess it proves I'm a gluten for punishment, but it keeps me off the street at night ....  ::thinking::

It was just the opposite with my folks. My dad had a brother, eleven years younger than him, and my mom came from a family with eight brothers and two sisters.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 06:50:42 AM »
It's OK Rusty...I'll pick up your slack on the street...  ;D

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 08:49:39 AM »
Knew I could count on you Libertas -- Thanks, wouldn't them to fall into disrepair with all the airheads roaming wild ... ::cool::

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 04:08:46 PM »
Back again  - This craziness I started about history of the country, has sent me back to school [A college that takes no federal dollars, so is not held hostage by uncle sam] Taken classes in Constitution,  Presidency and Constitution and now what may be my undoing -- the Federalist Papers / Anti-Federalist Papers.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 06:56:29 PM »
Hang in there.  And good for you.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 09:11:55 PM »
Back again  - This craziness I started about history of the country, has sent me back to school [A college that takes no federal dollars, so is not held hostage by uncle sam] Taken classes in Constitution,  Presidency and Constitution and now what may be my undoing -- the Federalist Papers / Anti-Federalist Papers.

Unfortunately, as far as the law goes, if the SCOTUS says 2 + 2 = 5 then it does equal 5.
I took 2 semesters of constitutional law. It was not taught from history or first principles. It was taught like case law.

When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 09:18:32 PM »

I highly recommend the Library of America's two volume set of the Debates on the Constitution. Far more comprehensive than just the federalist and anti-federalst letters ( though they are in there)

https://www.amazon.com/Debate-Constitution-Federalist-Anti-Federalist-Ratification/dp/1598534114/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526350693&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=library+of+america+debte+constittuion

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 10:00:16 AM »
Good choice, W!

I also like to delve deeper into the thinking of all the key Founders, so I have lots of biographies, the Adams-Jefferson letters etc.

It is perhaps my favorite epoch...and a reminder I overshot my entry into the physical world by 200 years!

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 08:47:16 PM »
Good choice, W!

I also like to delve deeper into the thinking of all the key Founders, so I have lots of biographies, the Adams-Jefferson letters etc.

It is perhaps my favorite epoch...and a reminder I overshot my entry into the physical world by 200 years!

You might enjoy "The Founders Key" - by Larry P. Arnn

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 08:10:03 AM »
Good choice, W!

You might enjoy "The Founders Key" - by Larry P. Arnn

Ahh, Town Hall guy.  Has a September 2014 article where he describes the Constitution as a bridge between the Declaration (Laws if Nature and of Nature's God) and other human laws, or between Supreme Law and Common Law for simplicity.

I will give The Founders' Key a shot.

::hat-tip::