Author Topic: Potential for fuel shortages due to Hurricane Harvey  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Potential for fuel shortages due to Hurricane Harvey
« on: August 29, 2017, 10:49:18 PM »
I haven't seen any stations out of fuel yet, but I did not wait around for it. I went ahead and filled my vehicles, and my 20 gallons of jerry cans.  I remember when Katrina hit, we had severe fuel shortages here in NC. For the better part of two weeks or more I remember seeing police directing traffic in and out of the handful of stations that received fuel.

So just a heads up all!  A lot of times these shortages don't show up until several days after a natural disaster, as the pipelines begin to empty.  Half of our refining capacity is in Texas and Louisiana, particularly around Houston. Most of the refineries there are currently shut down due to flood damage.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-harvey-energy-idUSKCN1B91KE
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Potential for fuel shortages due to Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:15:00 PM »
I remember when Katrina hit, we had severe fuel shortages here in NC. For the better part of two weeks or more I remember seeing police directing traffic in and out of the handful of stations that received fuel.

Am I mistaken or was that because of a pipeline rupture? It's been a long time and I could have it confused with another occurrence.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 11:22:55 PM »
I remember when Katrina hit, we had severe fuel shortages here in NC. For the better part of two weeks or more I remember seeing police directing traffic in and out of the handful of stations that received fuel.

Am I mistaken or was that because of a pipeline rupture? It's been a long time and I could have it confused with another occurrence.

We've had a few different problems with the pipeline over the years.  There was a rupture or fire (or something) not too long ago that had it offline for a week or so. During Katrina the problem was that the refineries were offline, so they weren't pumping any new fuel into the line. Together they add several million barrels per day, so after a few days being offline that shortage starts to show up.

According to that Reuters article, several of the Houston refineries are currently shut down, including the 1st and 2nd largest refineries in the country. I don't see how this doesn't result in shortages and price spikes, especially since the floodwaters haven't even crested yet. They got like 5 feet of rain in Houston, and the water will continue to rise as all of the rain water from further inland drains down toward the Gulf.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 07:24:39 AM »
Yup, good catch G, I should have caught this earlier myself...and thanks to leftist overregulation and fearmongering and hostility toward the entire energy sector...our facilities are old, under constant repair and prone to more disruptions....

And the way we distribute fuel across the nation (everything is commingled and then separated at key hubs for wider distribution and retail use) any disruption in either refinery production or distribution system is going to affect all fuel types.

The crest for Houston is today or tomorrow?    Deeper down in this story they mention the rain ends Thursday, so the crest can't be far off.

And far as the looters are concerned...

http://abc13.com/houston-police-catch-armed-robbers-and-looters/2354955/

...we'll see if any stiffer penalties stick...no doubt asshats from terrorist front org's like ACLU, SPLC, BLM etc will be pissing and moaning about cruel and unusual, discrimination and all sorts of other bastardized notions to get peeps off lighter...

...and just 14?  I would argue that is probably at best 1% or less of the population involved in this type of behavior...

...better off dispatching them and leaving them in the water for the gators to clean up...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 07:49:06 AM »
OK, here we go...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-29/hurricane-harvey-likely-destroy-more-cars-katrina-bad-real-bad

Insured, right? 

This though -  "As carfax points out, if previous hurricanes are any example, roughly half of the cars flooded by Hurricane Harvey will eventually be sold with no flood label to unsuspecting consumers." 

Beware of lemons.

Crosby, TX plant fears an explosion possible, flood water knocked out its generators.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-29/giant-texas-chemical-plant-real-danger-explosion-arkema-warns

A list of other chemical plants in the area that shut down...so chemicals for fertilizer etc could be more expensive for months too, fortunately for the breadbasket we are nearing harvest, those that have needs year round though may face stiffer prices.

More infrastructure fears...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-29/houstons-bridges-and-roads-are-starting-fail-floodwaters-rise

I'm sure the older more neglected bridges etc will literally be flushed out...

Of significance in the shutdown news - Port Arthur refinery.  Plus others, 4M BPD is not flowing!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-30/rbob-gasoline-spikes-25-month-highs-harvey-curbs-output

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 08:22:28 AM »
It's nice to know we have Third Word infrastructure.  I got a bonus at work, and literally half of it was eaten up by taxes. WTF are those taxes going to? Damn sure not roads and bridges.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 11:05:43 AM »
A huge chunk is going toward future helicopter tossings...

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 04:12:09 PM »
As soon as Gunsmith is done with hunting down the electrical short in Nessie ('84 Nissan), we're loading up the empty gascans and shooting down to get them and his other truck filled.

I called my friend and told her and what she said was "blahblahblah Saturday".  Sigh.  I warned her not to wait until then.  Fer cryin' out loud.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 06:52:12 AM »
Well, when she comes to whining...you can give her "the look" and an exasperated "Mmm hmm!"...then roll eyes and depart... 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 06:56:14 AM »
Oops, well...it happened...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/risk-chemical-plant-explosion-houston-prompts-evacuation-harvey/story?id=49521170

And fuel increases are now showing up in stats...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-31/front-month-rbob-tops-2-after-colonial-pipeline-shutdown

...I noticed last night topping off the buggy...saw about a 10% spike from just a week or so ago...

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:49:52 AM by Libertas »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 08:29:10 AM »
Yep, the Colonial Pipeline is shutting down.  The diesel line is already shut down, and the gasoline line is shutting down today.  I expect we will see stations running dry by this weekend.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/30/investing/colonial-pipeline-harvey-gas-lousiana-texas/index.html

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »
Cool, I work from home during a "crisis"...

"I have no gas, can't make it into the office!"  ;)

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 06:22:57 PM »
Friends in Texas are reporting gasoline shortages today.   

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 08:58:59 PM »
...I noticed last night topping off the buggy...saw about a 10% spike from just a week or so ago...

That happens every week in any market dominated by SuperFraud/Fraudway.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 06:56:35 AM »

That happens every week in any market dominated by SuperFraud/Fraudway.

That and industry-wide LIFO pricing...

People getting a little cranky out there too...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Gas-shortages-reported-at-several-Exxon-Chevron-12163629.php

Generational differences...I don't recall any "anger" back in the long lines of the 70's...sure some people popping off about what an a-hole Jimmy Carter was, but that's to be expected...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:21:26 AM by Libertas »