Author Topic: Herman Cain Announces Bid For President  (Read 3527 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Re: Herman Cain Announces Bid For President
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 02:28:41 PM »
There was a post at the Market Ticker yesterday:

Herman Cain Announces: Tickerguy Challenges

Denninger and most of the commenters are not impressed with him.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:32:42 PM by rickl »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »
OT:  Keep forgetting to H/T IDP for the good idea of bolding the blue link.

It is a good idea.  Any way to make it automatic?  They do that at Pajamas Media.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »

Didn't he answer that question today with his explanation of the Fair Tax, no increase of the debt ceiling, and paying down the Chinese first?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 02:43:32 PM »

It is a good idea.  Any way to make it automatic?  They do that at Pajamas Media.

I just gave it a look and I don't see how, but a lot of it's Greek to me anyway.  IDP may know how to do so.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 03:15:26 PM »
There was a post at the Market Ticker yesterday:

Herman Cain Announces: Tickerguy Challenges

Denninger and most of the commenters are not impressed with him.

Ace isn't either...

Here's the thing...a lot of candidates can say crowd pleasing things but in the end we are trying to find a President. As we see on a daily basis, having a President that gives exciting speeches but is bad on those darn details is a recipe for disaster.

But I think he's willing to give him some time to get his foreign policy sh*t together. As I said, Cain has time to build a credible candidacy. Try as I might I just can't get excited about Pawlenty. I want someone who is passionate about America and conservatism. I want someone who isn't afraid of Toonces.

Right now, Cain is that guy. I would be delighted to see others become that guy because it can only make the Republican alternative that much more appealing to the average voter.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
The fact that we are obsessed with a Presidential race a year and a half before the election speaks volumes about the degree to which the Federal government has usurped powers that once belonged to state and local government.  I seriously doubt that our ancestors decades ago cared this much about the Presidency.

Which shows just how much closer the President has become to being a dictator.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »
From Commentary:

After Wallace explained the Palestinian demand to return to the homes they were “thrown out of” [sic!] in 1948, Cain said that would be negotiated between the Israelis and Palestinians. “I don’t think Israel has any problem with Palestinians’ returning,” he said.

Even though Cain had told Wallace just a few moments before that he would offer the Palestinians “nothing,” because he is not convinced they are committed to peace and democracy, his cluelessness on the right of return suggests that Cain is more blowhard than gadfly.

So, yeah, the elites of the right aren't impressed. Well, I'm not impressed with Romney or Pawlenty. Sue me.

But, as I said, it's early. Very early. No primaries to be won or lost until early next year. So, to me, this is no big deal. It's like a baseball team not doing particularly well in spring training games. Nothing matters until the season begins in earnest. This is the time to have minor gaffes. This is the time to work out the kinks in your media presentation. This is the time to swing and miss. If Cain (or anyone else) takes advantage of these early weeks and months properly we will end up with someone who is ready to stand up to Toonces, to stand up to the hostile media and present a confident face to the voter.

And at this point the voter is looking for any credible alternative to the boob in the White House.

So it's all good.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »
The fact that we are obsessed with a Presidential race a year and a half before the election speaks volumes about the degree to which the Federal government has usurped powers that once belonged to state and local government.  I seriously doubt that our ancestors decades ago cared this much about the Presidency.

Which shows just how much closer the President has become to being a dictator.

I understand your concern but I disagree with your assertion. I believe that the now overly long primary season is due more to the 24 hour news cycle that has been created by cable/satellite television and the blogosphere. A vacuum has been created for content that must be filled.

That and the fact that the current seat warmer in the White House is so incredibly incompetent that the voters are yearning for a replacement. Starving for a replacement.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:17:24 PM by trapeze »

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 03:57:57 PM »
Trap, you're right about the 24 hour news cycle, but I think a great deal of it has to do with the vastly expanded federal government; and now Obama, who is openly showing contempt for Constitutional restrictions on the Presidency.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2011, 04:57:05 PM »
From Commentary:

After Wallace explained the Palestinian demand to return to the homes they were “thrown out of” [sic!] in 1948, Cain said that would be negotiated between the Israelis and Palestinians. “I don’t think Israel has any problem with Palestinians’ returning,” he said.

Even though Cain had told Wallace just a few moments before that he would offer the Palestinians “nothing,” because he is not convinced they are committed to peace and democracy, his cluelessness on the right of return suggests that Cain is more blowhard than gadfly.

So, yeah, the elites of the right aren't impressed. Well, I'm not impressed with Romney or Pawlenty. Sue me.
And at this point the voter is looking for any credible alternative to the boob in the White House.

So it's all good.
::thumbsup::

I don't see the contradiction.  One, he says he doesn't think they are committed to peace and democracy and two, he says he would let them work it out.  And IIRC earlier he had said the problems between the Israelis and the Palestinians should be worked out between themselves.

What those elites don't approve of is that the Cain plan doesn't have the US elitist foreign policy experts assisting with the negotiations.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2011, 06:07:01 PM »
Trap, you're right about the 24 hour news cycle, but I think a great deal of it has to do with the vastly expanded federal government; and now Obama, who is openly showing contempt for Constitutional restrictions on the Presidency.

I have no argument with you about the size of the federal government, who has been behind it and why. I merely commented about the reason(s) for the ridiculously long primary season.

The media has a vacuum to fill. That there isn't enough "news" to fill that vacuum is also evidenced by the continual use of polls and polling data as "news." Putting a microphone and camera in front of anyone and everyone who even vaguely entertains the notion of running for president is similar.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 06:47:07 PM »

I just gave it a look and I don't see how, but a lot of it's Greek to me anyway.  IDP may know how to do so.

I don't know how to make it automatic. I just highlight the text between ] and [ and hit the "B" button.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 11:12:19 PM »
One more late night post on Cain's FNC interview from AoS.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 10:20:10 PM »
OK, so I finally got a chance to view Cain's FNS interview and am now ready to render my .02

Herman Cain is an honorable guy and a great businessman. He won't be president - at least not in 2012. Simply stated, he isn't ready for primetime. It isn't just the "right of return" gaff. It's his half-baked policies combined with a fundamental lack of knowledge.

God damn the foolish morons who elected the Øba-messiah! I fear that this country will never be able to return to sanity. We have a pResident who literally doesn't know sh!t from shinola and is intent upon proving it to the entire world. This nation cannot compound that error by electing another OTJ trainee - even a well intentioned one.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »

Herman Cain is climbing up in the non-biased Gallup Poll. 
In another Gallup poll he is tops in enthusiasm.

It's About Liberty link to article

[blockquote]
Among potential candidates, Mitt Romney leads Sarah Palin 17 percent to 15 percent, while *Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich and Herman Cain are tied for third, each with 8 percent of the vote, a Gallup Poll released Thursday said.
[/blockquote]

*If the trio were named alphabetically Cain would be named first. They had to work on that.