Author Topic: Pearl Harbor Survivor  (Read 1153 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Pearl Harbor Survivor
« on: September 15, 2017, 07:11:55 PM »
After posting the article of the USS Arizona sailor returned to the memorial for burial, I found a story I got about two other Pearl Harbor survivors.
In 2011 while vacationing in Hawaii I was fortunate enough to meet and talk with two gentlemen that survived the attack while in the service.
The first was retired Captain Robert G. Kinzler, U.S. Army, and the second was Sterling R. Cale SGM, U.S.Army retired.
Anyway I started wondering if both were still with us, so I looked them up.
Sad to say that Captain Kinzler passed away June 14, 2013, at 91 years of age.  His service on Dec. 7, 1941 was at Schofield Barracks, O'ahu - as a Morse code radio operator.  After serving from Sept. 1940  to Oct. 1962, he retired and remained in Hawaii, where he volunteered at the USS Arizona memorial, as one of the longest serving volunteers.  He is interred in the Pacific National Cemetery.

The second person I meet there was retired SGM Cale, who I am happy to say is still with us, and living in Hawaii.

All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Pearl Harbor Survivor
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 07:21:44 AM »
I only hope the Cap'n got his story recorded before his departure. It saddens me to the think of the stories that will never be shared, the history lost, and the knowledge that could have been gained from a lot of the Greatest Generation.

Godspeed, Cap'n. ::USA:: ::praying::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Pearl Harbor Survivor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »
Yeah, it's sad to see these guys go...but they did their duty for family, friends and country...and no doubt they passed on what wisdom they needed to share...they deserve a stretch of peace...but they will be missed.

::USA::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.