Author Topic: Happiness has arrived. Thank you Amazon  (Read 7559 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Happiness has arrived. Thank you Amazon
« on: September 28, 2017, 12:51:01 PM »
I can't get enough of this stuff when I have it, but the local grocer doesn't carry it. Went without long enough. Finally thought to look for it on Amazon. There really isn't anything anymore you can't get there. Win.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Happiness has arrived. Thank you Amazon
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 01:01:36 PM »
I dislike using Amazon, but I do, a lot, because local retail is no longer responsive to local customers.

I bulk shop, even at regular stores.  The manager told me at one local store that he can get only four gallons at a time of our choice of milk, even though I will buy four gallons at a time (and by the time I get to 'em, some are already gone).

Walmart guy told me they receive only six cans at a time of our choice of coffee; if there's two on the shelf, they get none until those two are gone.

This means I have to shop every couple of days and that's a major outlay of time and gasoline for me in order to stock up.

Some things such as coffee and milk can't be bought from Amazon, but other things -- I was looking for clip-on readers/magnifiers for Gunsmith and no store carried them -- can be.

Seems if you/I want anything that at least a hundred other people want, the stores won't carry it.  It didn't used to be like that, I think.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »
I shop online, direct with stores I like...I try to avoid SkyNet or any of his slimy siblings and offspring if I can...

As for sauce...I like the flavor if this stuff -

...and a couple stores around me carry it.  Yes, evil Mexican product...but I like the flavor!

But from time to time I will hit up relatives in Texas for some kick-ass sauce.   :D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
We used to make 2 or 3 trips a year to Sam's Club for "supplies" - those food and household items that aren't in the perishable category, that we know we'll use, that it makes sense to stock up on. We did that because they have good prices, wide variety, and "family size" packaging.

All that has been replaced by Amazon. Now, with a cheap Amazon Prime membership, the free shipping makes it a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. Even for a few small items like three bottles of habanero sauce, I don't need to be concerned with making a list, making sure everything I need is on the list, needing enough items for it to make sense for me to make a trip to Sam's, etc. I can just order it, and as long as I don't need it until the day after tomorrow, I'm good.

But I digress... LOL... I really posted this because I wanted to share my undying, inexplicable love for el Yucateco habanero sauce. Especially the green. If you like some good heat with flavor to boot, this is my recommendation.

I like the way Libertas's looks too though... and I think I've seen it at the local grocer...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »
I shop online, direct with stores I like...I try to avoid SkyNet or any of his slimy siblings and offspring if I can...

As for sauce...I like the flavor if this stuff -

...and a couple stores around me carry it.  Yes, evil Mexican product...but I like the flavor!

But from time to time I will hit up relatives in Texas for some kick-ass sauce.   :D

They have a Chipotle flavor that is to die for.  I use that S h i t on everything.
Eschew Obfuscation

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 05:04:13 PM »
Okay, sorry, didn't mean to turn it into a b-fest.   ::unknowncomic::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »
I dislike using Amazon, but I do, a lot, because local retail is no longer responsive to local customers.

I bulk shop, even at regular stores.  The manager told me at one local store that he can get only four gallons at a time of our choice of milk, even though I will buy four gallons at a time (and by the time I get to 'em, some are already gone).

Walmart guy told me they receive only six cans at a time of our choice of coffee; if there's two on the shelf, they get none until those two are gone.

This means I have to shop every couple of days and that's a major outlay of time and gasoline for me in order to stock up.

Some things such as coffee and milk can't be bought from Amazon, but other things -- I was looking for clip-on readers/magnifiers for Gunsmith and no store carried them -- can be.

Seems if you/I want anything that at least a hundred other people want, the stores won't carry it.  It didn't used to be like that, I think.

https://youtu.be/0vPKpMMapEg              ::curtsy4::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 05:50:51 PM »
It's a veg-it-ta-bull!  LOL!

I'd have to try IDP's concoction before committing...I'm picky about my sauces.

Ben - "I use that S h i t on everything."

Heh!  I'm not as free-wheelin' as my BIL, but yeah!   ::thumbsup::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 07:11:28 PM »
  I like a little nip in my food but hot is out!! 
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 07:13:19 PM »
I buy direct from Tabasco (McIlhenny Co). I had a devil of a time finding their habanero sauce so I checked them out online and found that I cold go straight to the source. Prices are a bit better than retail (if you could find it) and they threw in some complimentary goodies as well.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 06:48:16 AM »
I like spice, even if sometimes spice doesn't like me.  And like JF I like spice but not scorching hot, I want some flavor!  I will spice up my food sometimes just to try to stimulate dreams...I figure I am laying there for 5-6 hours doing nothing...might as well have some entertainment.  Some dreams are more interesting or ridiculous than others, and it doesn't always work...but works more often than not.  Italian sausage & pepperoni pizza with a splash of garlic sauce seems to work the best.
 :D

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »
For you all that like flavor but not the heat, try the Chipotle Cholula.  Lots of flavor there and just a touch of heat.
Eschew Obfuscation

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 01:19:45 PM »
I love flavor: period. So, if there's good flavor, I can tolerate a LOT of heat. Those habanero sauces are not for the faint of heart, but man, do they ever taste good - at least to me. They also make an extra-hot. I have a bottle of that too, but it's a scorcher. If I use it, I tend to use it on a chip or two and then go to one of the more reasonably hot sauces.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 10:15:18 AM »
I buy direct from Tabasco (McIlhenny Co). I had a devil of a time finding their habanero sauce so I checked them out online and found that I cold go straight to the source. Prices are a bit better than retail (if you could find it) and they threw in some complimentary goodies as well.

You should make the trip and tour the factory.

Then let me know when and I'll meet you there since I'm relatively close.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 10:02:25 AM »

You should make the trip and tour the factory.

Then let me know when and I'll meet you there since I'm relatively close.

Thanks for the offer - I might take you up on it!

It reminds me of a time when I was living in Now Orleans and we toured a C&H sugar refinery. They were generous with the free samples of confections and products. My younger brother and I each swiped a box of brown sugar and ate our way through most of it before getting caught by our folks.

Needless to say it wasn't the most pleasant ride home.

To this day I can't stand sugar...