Topics > Food & Cooking

Yuck!!!

(1/5) > >>

John Florida:
  Yesterday I decided to make home made Chiabatta bread.  The recipe call for one cup whole wheat flower so off I went to get the sealed jar I keep it in and when I got it to the kitchen all I could see was BUGGS all over the top of it. WTF happened in all my years I have never seen that before.    Did I do something wrong?

Pandora:
Wheat, rice, and flour often have little teeny bug eggs in 'em; can't really be helped.  This is why, when you bring home these items, you stick 'em in the freezer for 3-4-5 days; it kills any nits.

Then, take whatever it is out of the freezer and put it on the counter to defrost and dry out.  Just keep rotating the bag until it doesn't feel cool anymore.  After that, you can section it up and store it.

This is what we do anyway and haven't yet had bug problems.

Recently came home with a 25-lb bag of Jasmine rice and Gunsmith had doubts I could fit it in the freezer.  I love a good challenge.   ::evilbat::

John Florida:

--- Quote from: Pandora on October 14, 2017, 12:43:56 PM ---Wheat, rice, and flour often have little teeny bug eggs in 'em; can't really be helped.  This is why, when you bring home these items, you stick 'em in the freezer for 3-4-5 days; it kills any nits.

Then, take whatever it is out of the freezer and put it on the counter to defrost and dry out.  Just keep rotating the bag until it doesn't feel cool anymore.  After that, you can section it up and store it.

This is what we do anyway and haven't yet had bug problems.

Recently came home with a 25-lb bag of Jasmine rice and Gunsmith had doubts I could fit it in the freezer.  I love a good challenge.   ::evilbat::

--- End quote ---

Knowing you you were going to freeze it all or die trying.

Pandora:
No dying involved; I just moved one thing and slid it in there.

So, you got the drill about the freezing now?

John Florida:
  Got it.  the Mrs. will be out of work on Monday and she wants to dismantle the pantry and clean every nook and cranny herself she doesn't trust me to do it right,  as if!!   ::gaah::

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version