Author Topic: Beware the Krack attack  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Beware the Krack attack
« on: October 16, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »
Krack attack | What to do about it
First things first: make sure you have a password on your Wi-Fi network. If you don't, you're at risk of all kinds of attacks.

If possible, try not to connect to unsecured Wi-Fi networks - these are often seen in hotels, coffee shops and other public spaces. You can tell if a network is secure by a little padlock next to it when you're selecting the network.

The Krack attack affects secure networks, relying on a flaw in the "handshake" between device and router to insert a new "key" that can decrypt communications, potentially stealing passwords and credit card data

Most banking and online shopping websites use https, an encryption technique that protects you from this flaw. You can check by the little padlock in the top left of the screen by the address bar

The best thing you can do is update your router. Check who makes your router and try their website to find out how to patch it. Updates may not yet be available.

Security experts say that in the meantime, if you're really concerned you should use a "virtual private network" (VPN) such as NordVPN or TunnelBear.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/10/16/every-wi-fi-device-risk-unprecedented-krack-attack-security/

I try to avoid using public WiFi...always seemed kinda stupid to me...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Beware the Krack attack
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »
And here I thought this was going to be a Kracken attack.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Beware the Krack attack
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 06:54:54 AM »
Dontchy'all in Louie-see-anna have enough creepin' critters full-o teeth 'n claws?!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.