Author Topic: TV viewing  (Read 3185 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
TV viewing
« on: October 18, 2017, 10:26:30 PM »
Just finished watching "Designated Survivor" on the local ABC network and I kept track of what was shown -- from the recap of last week until next weeks previews the show itself ran a total of 57 minutes.  In that 57 minutes there were a total of 57 commercials, with the longest being pharmaceutical and/or other health care related ads.  Most ads were in the 15-30 second time limit, but a few 30-45 seconds.  Guess I really need to get a life ---  ::ohno::
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: TV viewing
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:58:11 AM »
Other than Fake News outlets...nothing will rot your mind or be a bigger waste of your time than network tv...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 07:04:50 AM »
I watch zero TV. No shows, series, sit-coms or documentaries. We have a local channel, 60, that airs Yankees & Mets games (our autistic son l-o-v-e-s the Mets & watches most of their games). When I have that on, it's on mute (unless our son is watching - but he also has an app for his HD laptop & watches on that). However, with the way the Mets always seem to grab defeat from the jaws of victory (poor clubhouse attitude, no doubt), that is becoming less frequent in the last few years.

During the day - if I'm working from home - it's the Music channel (either classic Jazz or Classical).

We don't have an HD TV, & the last time I watched with any regularity, M*A*S*H was on regular programming (not in syndication yet) - I was in college then ('77-81) & we had a TV in my fraternity house living room that I watched after getting back from studying @ the campus library.   

I will put a sports channel on mute for 10 minutes in the AM as I stretch before running - simply for the sports images - other than that, I have no use for television.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 08:43:02 AM »
What are these commercials and previews you are talking about?

I would have dumped the cable 20 years ago if my wife and kids didn't use it, and now the kids are  pretty much 100% youtube gaming videos, and my wife orders what she wants to watch on Amazon, if it isn't available on Hulu or Netflix.  When we do watch something its a movie from my or my neighbors collection, and that is getting ever more non-main stream.  I am enjoying the original productions Amazon,  Hulu,  and Netflix are doing - largely because whoever is in charge in those places is trying to build market share  and have enough sense to stop preaching their politics and just tell the frigging story.  Yes Netflix does political shows like Bill Nye- but they aren't trying to sneak that crap into MST3k , Unfortunate Events , Voltron or Stranger Things. Or haven't yet to a degree I am unwilling to deal with... ( but the actors..don't sh*t where you eat - obvious so therefore Liberals don't get it.)

Starz' Evil Dead has been pretty entertaining too, if you like that sort of thing. Lots of good Anime out there too.

There is no reason to watch broadcast television unless there is some sports ball you want to watch, and then, well, you deserve to sit through crap. :)
I hate sportsball.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
Except for very few things [baseball, some short series programs and history]
{Hell on Wheels / Longmire etc.} I don't know why I have a TV's.  Did get hooked on Designated Survivor series last year when it started.  This is the third episode this year, and commercials have increased.  It's 'hollyweirds' version of Washington DC government keeping one congressman in exile when all other government 'officials' gather so if any thing happens to all of them one person will maintain the republic power.  Anyhow with all the commercials - the devil made me keep track -- as said earlier I need to get a life.  Maybe this old fart is beyond help ---

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:03:27 AM by rustybayonet »
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
I do find a few commercials entertaining:

http://youtu.be/KzjC2WEF6f0

Geico: Orchestra Triangle Solo  ;D ;D
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 01:25:42 PM »

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »
This is about the only one on now that I can watch and laugh about each time.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wGO_/allstate-safe-driving-bonus-checks-all-alone

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »
For decades I watched almost no TV as it all sucked. I liked Rockford Files, Wiseguy, and some of the Law and Order were OK.  My TV was 99% for VHS then DVD movies. Recently movies have become much worse.  I usually can't find one at the theater I would see for free.

In recent years an old GF  convinced me that some recent TV is better written than most movies. I now agree. In no particular order.
The Good Wife
Breaking Bad
Mad Men - great visuals
Silicon Valley - very funny
on edit: Billions -very well done. Evil vs evil.
on edit: The Americans - fantastic

Big Little Lies - OK
The Killing - OK
Curb Your Enthusiasm - even this is OK but is an acquired taste.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:07:09 PM by patentlymn »
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »
Just finished "Stranger Things" season 2. Man, what a unique, excellent show. Just love it!
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 10:23:35 AM »
We recently started on season two of The Travelers -- Netflix.

Not bad, pretty good.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 10:38:18 AM »
Most of my family watches Game of Thrones. Not really into it, but watched occasionally. I guess I don't appreciate the imagination required for dragons.

I have, however, REALLY enjoyed Last Kingdom. From what I've seen, it's actually almost historically accurate.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 12:52:26 PM »
Ahh . . . the Music Choice channel is just excellent: Classical masterpieces, Jazz, Bop & Blues - I just can't get enough - usually turn it on as I exercise in the early AM & just keep it on all the live-long day!
 ;)  ;D  ;)

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 02:06:09 PM »
I recently became addicted to The Americans. Seriously addicted. On Amazon Prime.
Great show. It is about deeply embedded Russian spies in the US in the 1980s.
This is the most addicting TV show yet for me.  Better written than 95% of movies today.

Stars Keri Russel and Matthew Rhys. Keri is now 41 and mother of three. The two co-stars are married in real life.

30 second trailer below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zuOA1-Esoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOu8jazlA9k

Brief interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoS3195d1O8

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 11:32:37 AM »
I recently became addicted to The Americans. Seriously addicted. On Amazon Prime.
Great show. It is about deeply embedded Russian spies in the US in the 1980s.
This is the most addicting TV show yet for me.  Better written than 95% of movies today.

Stars Keri Russel and Matthew Rhys. Keri is now 41 and mother of three. The two co-stars are married in real life.

30 second trailer below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zuOA1-Esoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOu8jazlA9k

Brief interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoS3195d1O8

Sure, but I am so tired of the Clintons et al...

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 01:56:55 PM »

Still watching The Americans TV series.

I found a song from the show that was appropriate but disturbing. I did not know the name.
It was haunting.  From season 1 episode 13.
Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xZmlUV8muY

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 02:17:52 PM »
That one was odd, like Shock the Monkey, that was odd too.

His best IMO  -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWJE0x7T4Q

Solsbury Hill #2.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:22:02 PM by Libertas »