Author Topic: We can't be having this  (Read 2296 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
We can't be having this
« on: May 22, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »
A student leading a prayer against the wishes of the ACLU? What's the world coming to? ::cool:: Maybe there is hope for this generation.

http://www.wwl.com/Student-defies-ACLU-at-graduation--leads-public-pr/9887006

Posted: Saturday, 21 May 2011 3:27PM

Student defies ACLU at graduation, leads public prayer

AP Reporting

A student who objected to prayer being part of Bastrop High School's 2011 graduation ceremonies enlisted the help of the American Civil Liberties Union.  However, another student whose role was to call for a moment of silence during Friday's ceremony led the audience in prayer despite the ACLU objections.

The News-Star of Monroe said the ACLU had urged Bastrop Principal Stacey Pullen to ensure that prayer not be on the program.

But senior Laci Rae Mattice, when it came time for the moment of silence, drew cheers and applause when she said, "I want to ask for the Lord's blessings upon us."

She then led the audience in the Lord's Prayer, "if they wanted to."

Pullen said Mattice had been instructed not to mention religion and only observe a moment of silence. It was unclear if the prayer would result in any legal action.

Morehouse Parish Superintendent Tom Thrower, who attended the event, had little to say on the matter.

"It speaks for itself," Thrower said.

Prior to the ceremonies, school officials suggested that students who object to school-sponsored prayer should respect the majority of their classmates, according to a statement from the ACLU. "The First Amendment prohibition on government endorsement of religion exists to protect the minority from the majority," said Marjorie R. Esman, ACLU of Louisiana executive director. "Freedom of religion belongs to everyone, not just those whose views may be more popular than others."
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: We can't be having this
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:58:54 PM »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:05:37 PM »
Just the kind of rebellion I am in full favor of!

Good for her!

::clapping::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 05:11:35 PM »
"The First Amendment prohibition on government endorsement of religion exists to protect the minority from the majority,"

WRONG.  The 1A is a prohibition against Congress "respecting an establishment of religion", i.e. establishing a Federally-mandated religion.  Otherwise it's freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

And, yes, good for the girl.  What's the ACLU going to do now?  Who are they going to threaten with a lawsuit?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 05:38:49 PM »

It's going to be a class action suit. ::exitstageleft::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 05:40:15 PM »

It's going to be a class action suit. ::exitstageleft::

::rimshot::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »
And the ACLU, who has no class, deserves to be schooled on the constitution!

"Of" not "from", ditwads!

Libnuts!  They just don't get it!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.