Author Topic: Death Channels  (Read 1344 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Death Channels
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:16:52 PM »
A fascinating and harrowing post by Zombie, wherein he/she describes the death of his/her Uncle Larry.

The comments are also outstanding and thought-provoking, although I haven't read all of them yet.

http://pajamasmedia.com/zombie/2011/02/21/death-channels/
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Death Channels
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:59:03 PM »
I read this earlier.  Harrowing, to be sure.  From the piece, and more pointedly, the comments, it certainly seems as though the medical "profession" taken as a whole and on the average, has focused its sights on the old for disposal, whether they're ill or not.

I'll kill the sonofabitch that targets either me or Gunsmith for disposal before we're ready to go, I Swear to Almighty God.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:08:44 AM »
I haven't read the article yet, but I read another article at PJM (about the unethical doctors writing fraudulent sick notes) and I think it hit on some similar themes. In particular, the training of new doctors in medical schools has undergone a transformation (there's that word again) away from the classical Oath of Hippocrates -- which is duty bound to the individual patient -- and towards a "social justice" model that says the physician should take into account such questions as what is to the betterment of greater society, etc. From the article:

[But] a new form of medical ethics is being taught in medical schools that tells doctors to place the needs of “society” ahead of individual patients. At best, it forces doctors to juggle the truth and the interests of their patients alongside “social” considerations. At worst, it will give them license to sacrifice their professional integrity (and their patients’ interests) in the name of “society.”

In 2002, the American College of Physicians proposed a charter in which the three guiding ethical principles for physicians would be: patient welfare, patient autonomy, and “social justice.” In 2007, the AMA ITME (American Medical Association Initiative to Transform Medical Education) reported on the importance of training medical students to be better advocates for “social justice,” and proposed changes in the medical school admissions criteria and curriculum to address this perceived inadequacy.

The proglodytes have infected every societal and civic institution and we are going to have to forcefully remove them. Their goal is to subjugate the humanity of the individual to some nebulous "society", and even a cursory examination of history shows that usually results in mountains of bodies.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 09:51:47 AM »
A fascinating and harrowing post by Zombie, wherein he/she describes the death of his/her Uncle Larry.

The comments are also outstanding and thought-provoking, although I haven't read all of them yet.

http://pajamasmedia.com/zombie/2011/02/21/death-channels/

Wow, that's a riveting account. These are tough questions.

Personally, I tell Mrs. IDP and my kids, if I'm ever in a coma, unresponsive, or incapacitated for any reason, don't pull the plug, cuz I'm comin' back! Of course, that's just a lighthearted way to say that I favor life, including my own.

I don't have a living will, and I need one, like NOW. I've told everyone who loves me that if I were to become comatose or incapacitated, that as long as there is one person who loves me that gains comfort from my physical presence on this earth, I am willing to and prefer to remain alive for that sake of that person. If one person wants me here, my preference is to be here until they are ready to let me go, and anyone who seeks to undermine that person's will or coerce them to change their mind will be working in direct opposition to my will. If they get comfort from praying for me, holding my hand, speaking to me, hoping I will live, then I am here for them until they lose that hope or comfort. Then I'm OK with being let go of.

I am pro-life, and that includes my own life. While I don't seek to thwart mortality, I would choose to ease a loved-ones burden, even when the capacity to make that choice is robbed from me. If medical technology can aid in keeping me here and facilitate the comfort of that loved one, then so be it.

I am so pro-life that I refused to be the executor of my father's estate because he wants to die if he's incapacitated. He watched my Grandfather pass in a very prolonged, agonizing, humiliating process, and he wants no part of that fate. He went as far as to say that if he is in such a state, and there is a place (another state or even country) to which he can be transferred and euthanized, this would be his directive. He asked me to think about it - to think about whether I could carry out that directive - and it took me all of two seconds to tell him no. I cannot and will not be a part of killing my own father, nor standing by allowing him to die. If that is his will, he needs to find another executor, so I let go of that responsibility as his firstborn son. I would've preferred to be able to step up and carry out his final wishes, but he gave me no choice.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:54:41 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson