Author Topic: I went to church and what good did it do me  (Read 2924 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
I went to church and what good did it do me
« on: May 22, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »
I left more aggravated than when I went in.

The kid in front of me talked to her mother the whole time and when she wasn't talking to her mom she was bouncing over to her friends to chat. Not once did the mother attempt to quiet her.  I left early because I wasn't feeling well only to discover some dude who'd arrived late had blocked me in so I had to wait for him to leave.  I figured my chances were pretty good that someone who'd come late would leave early. I was right. I did tell him to not block people in next time. I really wanted to say "you voted for Obama didn't you?"

And apparently beach attire is acceptable wear nowadays in church.

::gaah::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: I went to church and what good did it do me
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 09:30:49 PM »
Speaking from years of experience, sitting in or near the front row minimizes the chance of being disturbed/irritated by obnoxious children/teenagers. Sitting in or near the back row all but guarantees the experience you describe. I know this because in an earlier part of my life I was one of those obnoxious children. Thankfully, I grew out of that stage quickly.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 09:43:57 PM »
... because in an earlier part of my life I was one of those obnoxious children...

LOL

Yeah, I usually sit up front BUT being the considerate person I am I sat in back so as not to disturb anyone if I had to leave early.  Silly me--no one would have noticed or been disturbed.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:04:25 PM »

The kid in front of me talked to her mother the whole time and when she wasn't talking to her mom she was bouncing over to her friends to chat. Not once did the mother attempt to quiet her.  I left early because I wasn't feeling well only to discover some dude who'd arrived late had blocked me in so I had to wait for him to leave.  I figured my chances were pretty good that someone who'd come late would leave early. I was right. I did tell him to not block people in next time. I really wanted to say "you voted for Obama didn't you?"

The premise being at least one showed up.  Feh.

Did they preach "social justice" or were you too annoyed to notice?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »
Have to admit I missed a good part of what the pastor said tonight but usually he's pretty conservative--refreshingly so in this era of not offending anyone

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:20:10 PM »
We had a substitute priest one Sunday. From some Latin American country with a VERY thick accent. He walked to the front and his first words were "May the Lor be wid jew". So I responded "And also wid jew". My wife failed to see that I was just trying to make him feel at home. She cut me those "If looks could kill" eyes.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 10:37:38 PM »
 ::hysterical::

We harbor reprobates among us.  Woe.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »

But a reformed reprobate in my case, no? And the result is that my children were forced to sit with their mother and father at or near the front row. There was no way my kids were going to have the opportunity to act as I had.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 11:17:59 PM »

But a reformed reprobate in my case, no? And the result is that my children were forced to sit with their mother and father at or near the front row. There was no way my kids were going to have the opportunity to act as I had.

Ah! You sound like me.  My kids haven't figured out it yet.  They think I was always this way.   ::angel::

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 12:07:38 AM »
I guess that's why they're always talking about forgiveness.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 02:48:34 AM »

One Sunday the Priest said ; " Let us pray for our Bishop and all of the Bishops ." ... I whispered to my wife ; " Does that include Joey Bishop ?" I got a sharp elbow in the ribs .

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 06:41:57 AM »

One Sunday the Priest said ; " Let us pray for our Bishop and all of the Bishops ." ... I whispered to my wife ; " Does that include Joey Bishop ?" I got a sharp elbow in the ribs .

Thag you, thag you very much. I'll be here all week. Tip your bartenders and waitresses, and be sure to try the veal."
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 06:46:21 AM »
How about the giggles?  Surely I can't be the only one who gets them, and once got...I really have to get up and leave because they won't stop.  My father and I are notorious for causing such bouts in the other.  And it is usually just something really simple that starts it...sometimes its just a simple shared look, a similar reaction to something said.

My mother would always just roll her eyes and clear her throat.

That was not an effective deterent, much to her displeasure...we'd hear all about it during the drive home...the argument spilling out of the car as we kids would scatter.

Ahh, memories!

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:06 AM »
My three brothers would punch each other and otherwise annoy each other and my mom never noticed then later in the parking lot someone would come over to us--usually an elderly lady--and tell her how well behaved we were! 

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 12:14:53 PM »

The premise being at least one showed up.  Feh.

Did they preach "social justice" or were you too annoyed to notice?

I don't stand (or should I state stay) if the social justice message rears its head. Too many churches today where a coffee, donut, laptop and shorts are not considered inappropriate.

I'm also out of patience with some of this "praise" music I must endure. You know, where the Elvis Costello inpersonator strums two bars and sings some simple, repetitive verse.... Oh Jesus is so good, Jesus is so great...over and over and over....Then attempts to get the congregation to clap.

It is my opinion, but I believe God is looking down...shaking His head.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 12:23:16 PM »
Too many churches today where a coffee, donut, laptop and shorts are not considered inappropriate.

I don't seeing it changing but only getting worse.

My oldest daughter laments that all that stuff she can get anywhere else-- but church offers what she can't get at the multi-plex.  And too many churches act as if their competitors are the multi-plex.