Author Topic: Gubmint emergency CME drill Nov 4-6  (Read 4050 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Gubmint emergency CME drill Nov 4-6
« on: October 27, 2017, 07:49:08 AM »
http://www.arrl.org/news/communications-interoperability-training-with-amateur-radio-community-set

::thinking::

Those "effects" can also be caused by nuclear-bomb generated EMP's...

::foilhathelicopter::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Gubmint emergency CME drill Nov 4-6
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 09:09:31 AM »
Hmmm ......
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 05:15:43 PM »
If I was an amateur radio person I would participate in this drill with the government why?????????
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 06:00:41 PM »
If I was an amateur radio person I would participate in this drill with the government why?????????

Most radio people I know are radio people (at least partly) because they don't trust the government,  and want a back up way to communicate.   There could be a day with no phones and no net, or at least a system of intolerable  amounts of censorship and tracking.  Citizen band radio may find itself a bit more important again.   

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »
Most radio people I know are radio people (at least partly) because they don't trust the government,  ....

That's the part that puzzles me. I agree with all of your points. So again, why would I participate any anything the government does?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 09:54:17 AM »
   The gov already knows who has a radio but is it possible they want to know what kind of radio for some reason?? I know nothing about radios but I do know not to trust the gov and that's all I know. They don't do sh*t without a reason.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 11:06:02 AM »
How does the .gov already know who has a radio?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 02:22:30 PM »

Don't you need a license to operate a SW radio??   I don't know.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, you need it for SW but not CB. You can use an illegal CB amplifier to reach out and touch someone. Downside is they have to have one to keep it from being a one sided conversation.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 05:13:25 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, you need it for SW but not CB. You can use an illegal CB amplifier to reach out and touch someone. Downside is they have to have one to keep it from being a one sided conversation.

I just don't know a lot about SW radios but I seem to rememner having to have a license but again it was a while ago. Thanks Alan.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 07:19:49 PM »
I'll add my .02....

First, both Shortwave and Citizen Band radios require an FCC license to operate. No one has bothered with CB for decades but the technical requirement still stands. CB is just a quick license and SW involves a test - mostly Morse Code.

Second, I don't trust the government but I signed up for CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) because as a member I thought that I might be privy to more intel than I might be as Joe citizen. Because of the size of my community and the limited number of spots available I'm on a very long waiting list to receive training.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 08:32:50 AM »
Yes, SW requires license...entry level is Technician license...

http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed

CBRS requires licensing but it is a simple registration only.  Likewise with GMRS, though sometimes people can be in non-compliance with FCC regulations if they get a FRS device that does not require a license but also has some GMRS channel capability requiring a license.  General short distance walkie-talkies typically fall under the MURS frequencies and also do not require a license.

In general, you could get a SW or GMRS device and store it for when the SHTF...I doubt the FCC will be hunting people down who don't have a license in such a situation...

I kinda like 'Soup's approach...people actively using SW and to a lesser extent GMRS are known entities...if already on the list I like the idea of trying to be more on the inside to learn what is what...not that anything nefarious is going to be brazenly passed on...but we're all intelligent people and capable ferreting out fact from fiction...

::thumbsup::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 11:36:05 AM »
CBRS requires licensing but it is a simple registration only.  Likewise with GMRS, though sometimes people can be in non-compliance with FCC regulations if they get a FRS device that does not require a license but also has some GMRS channel capability requiring a license.  General short distance walkie-talkies typically fall under the MURS frequencies and also do not require a license.

Since I have no idea WTF any of that is, I'll take your word for it. ::unknowncomic::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 12:23:14 PM »

Since I have no idea WTF any of that is, I'll take your word for it. ::unknowncomic::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mgyt6MEfHE

;D