Author Topic: Some American Colony history trivia  (Read 5404 times)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Some American Colony history trivia
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:02:18 PM »
Tired of all the crap on the TV and radio - he said, she said; --  so a little fun --

Who was the last living passenger of the Mayflower that came to the New World, landing in 1620 ?

Was another ship coming with them ?

What was  the Mayflowers captains name ?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:07:13 PM by rustybayonet »
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Some American Colony history trivia
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:22:17 PM »
Can we use google? ::facepalm::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 07:28:32 AM »
Going off the top of my head...which is a little flat and maybe soggy...

Wasn't a child (maybe more than one?) born on the trip over?  Has to be somebody like that, eh?

And there was a second ship...the Speedwell?  I think that might be right.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 02:34:21 PM »
Right on second ship, but after leaving for the it had to turn back due to problems.  It had been fitted with larger sails and it couldn't handle them, plus some say the crew lied about the problems, since they didn't want to make the long voyage ?
The numbers question was a trick question - it was the same in number - one died, one born.
The Mayflower captain was Christopher Jones

Way to go Libertas ; next

Who became the oldest living that came over aboard the Mayflower ?

What country were the Calviists living in that crossed over on the Mayflower.Where did the passengers land prior to ending up in the Plymouth area ?

Where did the passengers land prior to the Plymouth area ?

Just for who cares information - this dummy wanted something to do, so I settled on another research project.  Have made yearly calendars for every year from 1585 to 2025, and trying to find every notable event, birth and death - in that time period of American History, which will include my family history.  Found something of interest to me at least while working on some things concerning the Pilgrims, -- My sisters first husband was a Congregational Minister, whose first Church in Massachusetts and built in 1694 and is still standing and used. After spending 4 1/2 - 5 years researching the presidents for my grandkids [since history isn't hardly taught anymore] I thought maybe I'd try to put together American history, and the people involved.  Since some of the grandkids used my information in school, it gave me some justification,--  Just hope I live long enough...I put a note on future years, 2018 -2025 " If it's Gods will' ... Sorry for being so long winded...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:02:02 PM by rustybayonet »
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:58:46 PM »
Oldest?  I'm drawing a blank.

Calvinists were hiding out in Holland I think.

I recall something of a Virginia Colony territory landing...was that this group?  1619?

And in Massachusetts bay area...they landed out on whatever that long peninsula thingy is called...Cape Cod?

Recall a first run in with indigenous peoples there, and they camped out a bit while the intrepid menfolk went exploring...eventually selecting the Plymouth site for the colony.  If I recall there is a little stream/brook going through there...

Pretty cool to visit that, and the rest of the history in the area - freedom trail & North Church, Revere's house, Bunker & Breed's Hill, etc...USS Constitution...jot over to Lexington & Concord...

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 10:13:38 PM »
Oldest living afterward.  Mary Allerton came over when 6years old and lived to 83+ and last living Mayflower passenger.
Oldest to make the crossing - John Ragdale - in his 70's
Stephen Hopkins was probably the one you thought had been to Virginia earlier. and yes most of those crossing for religious reasons left from Leiden, Holland
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 10:55:55 AM by rustybayonet »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 11:07:33 AM »
Ahh. 

Good stuff Rusty, I love history, especially early American...

I often feel I was born 200 years too late...and I kinda have a chip on my shoulder about that...in so many ways being alive right now is so bloody irritating!

History of this sort is bittersweet for me...but still I seek it out, read a new tome on the subject, re-read my favorites and loose myself in time...

(sigh)

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 12:00:56 PM »
My favorite quote to those non-believers is; “Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.” by Edmund Burke.
In my opinion that is why -those running [into the ground] our education system are dumbing down America for control.    So------this is my way to give back something to my grandkids, with the hope their generation doesn't forget.  Unfortunately, for history nuts like me it could be futility, because to many things have been imbedded in their minds taking the place of truth and understanding.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 08:17:41 PM »
Don't give up.  I still amaze my nephews with my repository of knowledge...

Or they are just humoring the old fart...

But I think they pay attention...   ::thumbsup::

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 07:34:54 PM »
Next trivia;

This person was born while the Mayflower was anchored off of Provincetown Harbor ?

What former U.S. President had more than one Mayflower passenger in his family tree ?

This Mayflower passenger had two U.S. Presidents and one U.S. Vice-President has his descendants ?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 08:22:16 AM »
Are the latter two some of the same folks?

#2 has to be a New Englander, John Adams?

#1 I know...drawing a blank now...don't recall the last name...first name was olde tyme funky...Pleasant, Prudence, Preston, Patience, damn...something like that with a "P"!   ::gaah::

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 01:44:25 PM »
Born on Mayflower while anchored ---  Peregrine White

Not John Adams --- it was Franklin D. Roosevelt -- descendant of both - John Howland and Elizabeth Tilley
                              also , both Bush's -- from both Howland and Tilley
                              John Howland also had descendant Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt
                              John Howlands brother 'Henry' {came in next trip to Plymouth had descendants Richard Nixon/Gerald Ford& W. Churchill

Fear Brewster had a descendant -- Zachary Taylor
also read somewhere that Dan Quale is a descendant but have not found or verified.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 11:32:29 AM »
Peregrine!   ::gaah::  Missed by that much!

Next trip?  Winthrop Fleet 1640, I have ancestors on that one.  My ancestor had descendents that would marry into Roosevelt & Delano clans, US Grant, JQ Adams, Hancock Lee, Zachary Taylor, George Parke Custis & Robert E Lee, Jefferson Davis & William H Taft.  My mothers uncle did a whole bunch of research and came up with a chart showing past notable descendants...I did a show & tell on it way back in grade school once.

Anybody with ancestors that far back though is going to have a lot of cross commonality in relations, hard to avoid.  Interesting though.