Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 5121 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Thanksgiving
« on: November 22, 2017, 12:15:54 PM »
Thanksgiving...along with Independence Day one of the most iconic of truly American holiday's we celebrate!

::hysterical::

Seriously though...it is a holiday with a rich history...

From Pilgrim's to George Washington...

http://www.ushistory.org/us/3b.asp

https://www.varsitytutors.com/earlyamerica/firsts/first-thanksgiving-observance

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Washington/05-04-02-0091

It is Our Holiday...our chance to give thanks to Our Maker for Our Many Blessings!

“Perhaps no custom reveals our character as a Nation so clearly as our celebration of Thanksgiving Day.” -- Ronald Reagan

And it is refreshing to see a sitting President issue a proclamation that doesn't shy away from God or turn into a ridiculous me-fest!

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/11/17/president-donald-j-trump-proclaims-thursday-november-23-2017-national

::thumbsup::

I pray everyone at IAL has a happy and Blessed Thanksgiving with loved ones!   ::praying::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 12:24:25 PM »
I wish a happy and safe Thanksgiving to all.

May the good Lord bless us and our great nation. 
May He extinguish the evil that has taken root in our land and drive out the devil from our lives.
Eschew Obfuscation

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 12:58:55 PM »
A Happy, blessed & safe Thanksgiving to all (and your families!)!

My jobs: today - make the stuffing; tomorrow: the turkey + mashed potatoes (pies, veggies, biscuits etc...not my job)  :D
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 08:14:51 PM »
I wish a happy and safe Thanksgiving to all.

May the good Lord bless us and our great nation. 
May He extinguish the evil that has taken root in our land and drive out the devil from our lives.

You said it for me, too, ben.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 09:30:16 PM »
Deep fryer is clean and ready... bird is brining in brown sugar, kosher salt, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme, sage, cloves, orange, and lemon ice bath... pies are made... family who can be here is gathered...

Bless you everyone.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 06:48:05 PM »
  I hope you all had a great day. We had friends good food too much as usual but a great day!!  Sicilians love Thanks Giving it's big in the old country brought back by the Sicilians that got deported back in the day. Nothing like Turkey Cacciatore with your family.

https://youtu.be/nzDy3byWrQY
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 10:28:53 PM »
Just tried to hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving, but got a page come up when I tried to send it -- '400 page not sending' , and it didn't go through ? Won't try to repeat everything, but hope everyone had a very Happy Thanksgiving.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 01:52:59 AM »
A friend died this morning and we were at the hospital and took our other mutual friend home to our house for the day.  They were both invited to feast with us anyway.

At the hospital, the female, 26 year-old chaplain asked what we were about doing after we left, and I said "we're going home and stuffing the turkey".

It's been a day.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 08:29:51 AM »
Sorry to hear about your friend Pan.  Not a good way to start the holiday season.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »
A friend died this morning and we were at the hospital and took our other mutual friend home to our house for the day.  They were both invited to feast with us anyway.

At the hospital, the female, 26 year-old chaplain asked what we were about doing after we left, and I said "we're going home and stuffing the turkey".

It's been a day.

Sorry Pan, not only did you lose a friend but it had to be on a holiday so that you can be reminded every year.  I buried an uncle on 911 and it never goes away. 
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 09:36:46 PM »

It's been a day.

Man, that's harsh. Sorry for the loss of your friend, and that it happened on a day when we all hope to put the world aside for a day.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 11:16:57 AM »
Ugh, that's a tough one to absorb, sorry Pan.  I'm sure the friend that passed and the other you brought home appreciate your kindness and concern.  I pray the friends and family of your friend pull together and remember them fondly.  We cannot pick the day of our passing, that only God can do, that it fell on this day just is what it is.  Each Thanksgiving you can toast your friend and be thankful for their friendship.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 08:09:53 PM »

It's been a day.

Hate to hear that, Pan.

That's one reason I enjoyed the time with the family. After almost losing my son, I realize how quick someone can be taken from us.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 12:06:18 AM »
Bonnie lived with my lifting buddy, who was ChristianHusbandFather's wife before he passed away last New Year's Day.  Bonnie had been having respiratory difficulties for the last two years or so and Thanksgiving morning, said she needed to go the ER.  At 9:30 a.m., I read my friend's text from 8:30 a.m. which read "taking Bonnie to ER as soon as I can get her in the truck".  I called at 9:45 and friend was hysterical; all I could understand was 'please come here'.

So, we went.  Quickly.  Ambulance, multiple EMT personnel all 'round; they said Bonnie was in the ambulance, she wasn't breathing on her own but she had a pulse.  Becaaauuse ........... after my friend got her in the truck, stashed her walker in the back and ran to the driver side, Bonnie was unresponsive.

911 said "get her out of the truck, flat on the ground (gravel driveway) and do either 600 chest compressions or until the EMTs get there."  Bonnie weighed 225 lbs., but my friend dragged her out (she credits our workouts for being able to do that), put her prone, and got to 200 compressions when the cavalry arrived, sort of stabilized her, and took off for the hospital.

Bonnie died while we were getting there.

We were shown to the body, saw, and then got the hell out; there is NO DIGNITY in death, I'll tell you.

Went home, stuffed the turkey, ever'body had some drinks, and made the rest of dinner.

It was a day.

The funeral service was yesterday.

Sorry for the gritty details.  I had to unload it.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 07:43:29 AM »
Oh dear, what an ordeal.  You and your friend did what you could to help Bonnie and while it did not result the way everybody wanted there is nobility in the effort even in light of any indignity in the process, don't dwell on that.  It is good for you to unload, you and your friend earned that.  All anybody can hope is for others to be there when we need them, and you two were.  We should all be so fortunate to have friends like you two!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 09:02:44 AM »
  Nothing to be sorry about were here for each other. Unload all you want.   You all did what you could.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 09:34:12 AM »

Unload away. That's what family is for.

Nothing to be sorry about were here for each other. Unload all you want.   You all did what you could.

That's the hardest part. The helpless feeling never goes away.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »

As everyone else has said 'Don't be sorry for the quote' we all have done it and needed to - it's human nature when with friends.  I also know how the loss of a friend and/or close relative is on and near a holiday.

For what it's worth Pan - this has always helped me

Philippians 1:3 - I thank my God upon every remembrance of you,

Prays out to you

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 11:51:57 AM »
So sorry to hear all of that, Pan - the sort of experience that rivets us into intense action, running on adrenaline & suspending emotions, which then catch up with us later that day or the next.

Thanks for being such a devoted friend.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.