Author Topic: The State of "New California" Declares Its Independence!  (Read 796 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
The State of "New California" Declares Its Independence!
« on: January 17, 2018, 07:52:50 AM »
Huzzah!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-17/new-california-conservative-movement-declares-independence-first-step-towards-51st

This is fascinating and could be incredibly consequential for other States of the Union!  They are declaring their independence from "old" California, not the Union...a novel approach that could work...it forces an initial confrontation within the current state while it will be impossible for the Federal government to remain out of...for good or ill.  Congress is likely to be fractured like it hasn't been since 1860, the official Trump Admin response is likely to be supportive yet hands off, SCOTUS will likely rule on the issue and may kick it to the Congress to decide...and that's where it all may fall apart.

Anyway, I like it, I hope it succeeds but I suspect it won't...but it is fascinating theater and will check another box off the "tried it" list.

God Bless and Good Luck!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
Re: The State of "New California" Declares Its Independence!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:26:05 PM »
I would say chances are low for success in this day and age.   But,  there is an example of it happening before, West Virginia.   

It would split the state in probably the best way (provided that the San Diego area hasn't slid to far left).  It would let the interior area get out from under the thumb of the rich lefty coasters.    The interior of the state has the same problem that Upstate New York  has had for a half century, the politics of the city make the rest of the state poverty stricken (Illinois is developing that problem now too).    Maybe if it works we could see New York and Illinois split up too. 

California now is the number one state when it comes to poverty.   Nope,  its no longer Mississippi,  which is finally improving now that they have finally ditched the Dems (except the Delta).

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 06:53:33 AM »
I wouldn't mind if rural Minnesota split from the idiot cities...Mpls, St Paul, Duluth...we can give the libiots I35 between the cities and Duluth as a safe corridor like the Soviets did in Germany...except for that time they shut down the land route during the Berlin Airlift...

;D

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:07:42 PM »
The Lake Superior area is just as nutty as the city.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 06:39:39 AM »
Talkin' 'bout them FDR Democrats running small resorts and shops and such?  Yeah well, they're dyin' off...