Topics > General Board

Phone Scams

(1/7) > >>

matt523:
We are all too familiar with the Email scams. "A Nigerian Prince wants to give you money......"
Now the latest thing is phone scams. With VOIP technology there in very little way to know where the call is originating from. So a call from Pakistan can show on your caller ID as coming from Chicago, or anywhere else in the world. To make matters worse they also incorporate recorded computer generated voices to eliminate accents, and save the scammers the time of wasted calls that don't find a sucker.
This one that I received yesterday was just too funny not to share.

--- Quote ---"We have just received a notification regarding your tax filing from the headquarters which will get it expired in the next 24 working hours and once it get expired after that you will be taken under custody bu the local cops as there are 4 serious allegation pressed on your name at the moment. We would request you to get back to us so that we can discuss about this case before taking any legal action against you the number to reach us is 747-200-9552. I repeat 747-295-5552. Thank you."

--- End quote ---
::hysterical::
Naturally I did not return the call. I hope "the local cops" don't arrest me "when it get expired".  ::laughonfloor::

IronDioPriest:
After the "do not call" registry came around, there was a distinct drop-off of unsolicited calls to the home phone. Never had unsolicited calls to the cell phone. Now we're inundated with both. I'd say quite literally, about 95% of the calls that come in on the home phone are solicitors and/or scammers. "You've won a free vacation." "This is your final notice regarding your credit account." Etc.

We've clung to the idea of a "family phone" - that rings in the house for anyone to answer. It's the number our parents use, etc. But we're seriously considering just going with the cell phones now. We're paying for a service we hardly use, and it's just a conduit to telemarketers and scammers.

matt523:
I dropped the land line about 14 years ago. I had to have a cell phone for work, so there was no point to the added expense of a phone in the house.
Still get plenty of scam and sales calls on the cell.  ::cussing::

John Florida:
  I get the calls on my cell all the time. On some of the calls I dial 2 and they stop for a while. I got one half an hour ago from publishers clearing house and yesterday for my car. 

matt523:
Another one going around is a guy with a thick accent that always gives an American sounding first name.
Claims that he is from Microsoft, and your computer is sending out viruses. He then tries to get you to allow him to remote into your computer to "fix" it.

Microsoft will NEVER call you. Not even to return your call after you call them.
Sadly a lot of old, not so tech savvy people fall for this. I'd like to find that guy and feed him his own testicles.  ::cussing::

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version