Author Topic: Another Trump Coup Plot Front Opens - Cambridge Analytica  (Read 6414 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Another Trump Coup Plot Front Opens - Cambridge Analytica
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 08:29:19 PM »

I recall in 2008 the MSM gushing over how the Obama campaign used big data gleaned from all their databases and that is why they won over the backwards GOP.  Now if Trump used big data in 2016 he is evil incarnate.  I would like to see a comparison of how Clinton and Trump used big data in the last election.

Exactly. 

I just take the position of not putting anything out there you'd be ashamed of saying or doing in person.  Nothing on the "cloud."  There's nothing that can be done about data mining.  All companies do it now, so they can better target their advertising.

Online Syzygy

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 11:55:05 AM »
"Everybody wants to get in on the act."  (Jimmy Durante):

UK parliament asks Zuckerberg to testify in data misuse case

By DANICA KIRKA and GREGORY KATZ  Mar. 20,  2018

LONDON (AP) — A British parliamentary committee on Tuesday summoned Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to answer questions on fake news as authorities step up efforts to determine whether data has been improperly used to influence elections.

The request comes amid reports that a U.K.-based company allegedly used Facebook data to help Donald Trump win the 2016 presidential election. The company, Cambridge Analytica, has been accused of improperly using information from more than 50 million Facebook accounts. It denies wrongdoing.

The chairman of the U.K. parliamentary media committee, Damian Collins, said Tuesday that his group has repeatedly asked Facebook how it uses data and that Facebook officials “have been misleading to the committee.”

“It is now time to hear from a senior Facebook executive with the sufficient authority to give an accurate account of this catastrophic failure of process,” Collins wrote in a note addressed directly to Zuckerberg. “Given your commitment at the start of the New Year to ‘fixing’ Facebook, I hope that this representative will be you.”

The request to appear comes as Britain’s information commissioner said she was using all her legal powers to investigate the social media giant and Cambridge Analytica over the alleged misuse of data.

Denham said the prime allegation against Cambridge Analytica is that it acquired personal data in an unauthorized way, adding that the data provisions act requires platforms like Facebook to have strong safeguards against misuse of data.

https://apnews.com/3d7d35b8f9344d9bbc99d8870031cc03/UK-parliament-asks-Zuckerberg-to-testify-in-data-misuse-case

copyright 2018,  AP--fair use claimed,  for educational purposes

"...data has been improperly used...",  "...accused of improperly using information...",  "...over the alleged misuse of data..."
"...Facebook to have strong safeguards against misuse of data."

And just what was the "inappropriate misuse of data" you ask?  Why,  this,  of course:

"...a U.K.-based company allegedly used Facebook data to help Donald Trump win the 2016 presidential election."

"How dare they.  Harrumph,  harrumph."

::hysterical::   ::danceban::

::popcorn::

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 01:54:56 PM »
http://thefederalist.com/2018/03/20/the-cambridge-analytica-panic-is-the-silliest-russia-scare-conspiracy/
The Cambridge Analytica Panic Is The Silliest Conspiracy Of The Entire Russia Scare
And that's saying a lot.

David Harsanyi By David Harsanyi
MARCH 20, 201
on edit:
What the Facebook-Cambridge Analytica panic lacks in relevance it sure makes up for in melodramatic rhetoric. Bloomberg, for instance, says that “revelations of the apparent skulduggery that helped Donald Trump win the 2016 presidential election keep sending shock waves across the political landscape.” It’s true. Everyone is talking about it. The story has consumed most of the mainstream media.

The theory goes something like this: Facebook obtained information on users who took a personality quiz with their online friends. Another outlet, Cambridge Analytica, harvested that information to brainwash a bunch of rubes, and then yada, yada, yada … Russia! Senators are now demanding executives come forth and answer questions. Investigations must be open. Democracy is under threat.

Former Cambridge Analytica contractor and now-professional whistleblower Christopher Wylie told CNN that while at the company he helped build a “psychological warfare weapon” to “exploit mental vulnerabilities that our algorithms showed that [Facebook users] had.”

So, in other words, he worked in the advertising business.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03-20/former-facebook-employee-says-cambridge-analytica-style-data-harvesting-was
Former Facebook-er: Cambridge Analytica-Style Data-Harvesting Was "Shockingly Routine"

by Tyler Durden
Tue, 03/20/2018 - 14:25

The Cambridge Analytica scandal that erupted over the weekend has snowballed into the biggest threat to CEO and founder Mark Zuckerberg's rule since the company's 2012 IPO.

But, as we noted earlier, the manner in which Cambridge Analytica allegedly leveraged the data it purportedly "stole" from Facebook (or rather, refused to delete after receiving it from an intermediary who himself had improperly accessed it, according to the company) isn't all that unusual. Case in point, Carol Davidsen, Obama's director of integration and media analytics during his 2012 campaign, revealed that Facebook knowingly helped the Obama campaign collect as much user data as possible - even from the friends of users who may not have explicitly consented to the data collection.

When Facebook found out about the data mining for political purposes - the same thing they just banned Cambridge Analytica for doing - they "didn't stop us," the Obama staffer said. Representatives from Facebook even traveled to Obama campaign headquarters and candidly told campaign workers, including Davidsen, that they were allowing the Obama campaign do things they wouldn't have allowed other developers to do.
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
IMOP nothing illegal was done from what I have seen.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03-19/obamas-former-campaign-director-makes-bombshell-facebook-claim-they-were-our-side
Obama's Former Campaign Director Makes Bombshell Claim: Facebook Was "On Our Side"
Profile picture for user Tyler Durden
by Tyler Durden
Tue, 03/20/2018 - 04:44
SHARES
TwitterFacebookRedditEmailPrint
The recent controversy and escalating scandal over Facebook's decision to ban Trump-linked political data firm Cambridge Analytica over the use of data harvested through a personality app under the guise of academic research has opened a veritable Pandora's box of scandal for the Silicon Valley social media giant.
Facebook scandal widens: Obama campaign's Carol Davidsen admits Democrats sucked out "the entire social network of the US", kept the data and still have it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 03:02:01 PM »
Newp, nothing illegal was done .......... however, Republicans can absolutely NOT be allowed to use the same edge as used by the Left, thus, the wailing, screeching and pearl clutching.

On the long list of things of which I am sick is the RussiaRussiaRussia bullspit.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Syzygy

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 04:11:23 PM »
IMOP nothing illegal was done from what I have seen.

Yeah,  from what YOU have seen.  But you are a rational human being of the conservative ilk. 

Look at how the other side/FNMSM are trying real hard to make you see it from their prospective:

Breaking up with Facebook? It’s harder than it looks
[/size]

By BARBARA ORTUTAY
15 minutes ago (20MAR18)

NEW YORK (AP) — Facebook’s latest privacy scandal, involving Trump campaign consultants who allegedly stole data on tens of millions of users in order to influence elections, has some people reconsidering their relationship status with the social network.

more @:
https://apnews.com/18ecd2abaa334adcaabb9ea79c542a73/Breaking-up-with-Facebook?-It%27s-harder-than-it-looks

copyright 2018 AP --fair use claimed,  for educational purposes

So,  they stole it now.  Yeah,  right.  If collection of publicly available data is theft,  why hasn't Google,  Facebook,  Microsoft,  et al., been charged with grand theft larceny long before now?

I bet the author of this opinion piece  (basically)  is a 20 something who used a mouse for teething and was babysat in front of a computer monitor.   Along comes Donald Trump and she thinks he's blowing up her virtual world,  the pieces falling all about her pointy little head and ears.  "Oh,  the humanity personity."    ::hysterical::

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 05:12:03 PM »

Online WilliamVA

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 05:35:19 PM »
I think this is enormously funny, it appears  that most of Zuckerman's alleged 69b fortune is locked
up in Facebook shares.  Supposedly he sold off between 10 and 20m worth last week, and has subsequently
lost 5.9B just in the last week.  Tisk!   Twitter is heading for the basement too.  (QAnon predicted the collapse
of Twitter for early April)   ::ohno::

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »

http://thehill.com/opinion/technology/379245-whats-genius-for-obama-is-scandal-when-it-comes-to-trump
What’s genius for Obama is scandal when it comes to Trump
BY BEN SHAPIRO, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 03/20/18 09:15 AM EDT

This isn’t particularly shocking. In 2012, The Guardian reported that President Obama’s reelection team was “building a vast digital data operation that for the first time combines a unified database on millions of Americans with the power of Facebook to target individual voters to a degree never achieved before.”

What, exactly, would Obama be doing? According to The Guardian, Obama’s new database would be gathered by asking individual volunteers to log into Obama’s reelection site using their Facebook credentials. “Consciously or otherwise,” The Guardian states, “the individual volunteer will be injecting all the information they store publicly on their Facebook page — home location, date of birth, interests and, crucially, network of friends — directly into the central Obama database.”

Facebook had no problem with such activity then. They do now. There’s a reason for that. The former Obama director of integration and media analytics stated that, during the 2012 campaign, Facebook allowed the Obama team to “suck out the whole social graph”; Facebook “was surprised we were able to suck out the whole social graph, but they didn’t stop us once they realized that was what we were doing.” She added, “They came to [the] office in the days following election recruiting & were very candid that they allowed us to do things they wouldn’t have allowed someone else to do because they were on our side.”

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 05:43:59 PM »

I know that the EU and UK have much stronger database privacy laws.  I doubt any US laws were broken. If FB had some contract with a party buying their data and that contract was violated then they might have some private cause of action.

Online WilliamVA

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 06:33:55 PM »

I know that the EU and UK have much stronger database privacy laws.  I doubt any US laws were broken. If FB had some contract with a party buying their data and that contract was violated then they might have some private cause of action.

If I were Mr. Zuckerman, I would give em the 1 finger salute.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/facebook-data-scandal-trump-election-obama-2012/
EDITORIALS
Funny, When Obama Harvested Facebook Data On Millions Of Users To Win In 2012, Everyone Cheered

Privacy: Facebook faces what some are calling an "existential crisis" over revelations that its user data fell into the hands of the Trump campaign. Whether or not the attacks on the social media giant are justified, the fact is that the Obama campaign used Facebook (FB) data in the same way in 2012. But the reaction from the pundits and press back then was, shall we say, somewhat different.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 07:57:49 PM »
Manufactured hysteria, meant to stir up the gullible morons in the lesser half of America.

Online Syzygy

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »

CA is UK based and channel 4 did an investigative report where they used hidden cameras,  and got CA's CEO bragging about how they were the reason for Trump's victory--parts aired tonight on ABC FakeNews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy-9iciNF1A

I don't know if they have a valid claim to the victory but I know they were a large part of it.  Good for them. 

No laws were broken on either side of the pond,  to my knowledge.  The only thing broken were the hearts of the globalist,  liberal,  scumbags that wanted a Hillary victory,  nay,  fully expected a Hillary victory.  Just a few years ago,  they were the very ones bragging about how they had become Masters of the Internet Universe,  while conservatives were still stuck in the stone age of election campaigning.  And now to be beaten at their own game by the Neanderthal deplorables.  That's gotta suck,  big time.   ::hysterical::

The UK has never been a friend to successful American tech companies -- recall their dragging Microsoft into court many years ago,  the charge so ridiculous I've forgotten it. (I think Gates settled.)  Or,  was that Apple?  Or both?  I forget. 

Whatever,  I think if I were Zuckerturd,  I'd do exactly what WilliamVA suggested:  give 'em the ol' middle finger. 

The beef now is not that they collected data on millions and millions of people.  Hell,  everybody does that.  The real beef is that they collected data on millions and millions of people WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION.  See the difference?  No?  That's O.K.
Neither does the NSA,  the FBI,  the CIA,  MI5,  MI6,  the Russians,  the SPLC,  Obozo's campaign of '08 and '12,  etc., etc.......   ::hysterical::

(I wonder if CA has a Facebook page?  I need to go give them a big "thumbs up"/like vote.  BWAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHHHAA.  )

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »
Just a few years ago,  they were the very ones bragging about how they had become Masters of the Internet Universe ...

Ah hell, even crazy Maxie was bragging about Obongo's vast database ..........
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 09:42:56 AM »
IowaHawk always boils things down to basics...but the mindless drones are too conditioned to the buzz of the hive to recognize the truth...so...its.all just piss in the wind...

Still waiting for the balloon to go up...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Syzygy

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 03:24:52 PM »
Facebook for Trump?   What a joke.   Facebook and its main rival Twitter are so anti-Trump it makes your teeth hurt.
Facebook likes money more than it hates Trump.

A barely post-adolescent guy named Christopher Wylie has a way with data and social media.  He got hooked up w/ Steve Bannon who subsequently hired him in 2016.  Wylie put up a few of those "Find Out Stuff About Yourself" surveys on Facebook.  Bannon paid for them.  The collected data on some 230 million people(!) and used that data to help the Trump campaign.

If something embarasses the left they need to punish by launching an harassment committee investigation.

They had the guy who oversaw the operation at Cambridge Analytica (accent on the ANAL in Analytica,  'cause the guy is obviously gay) on some news show today.   A 20-something with dyed pinkish red hair,  he only came forward with it now because of a sudden attack of SJW guilt,  apparently. 
From what I could gather,  neither the Trump campaign nor Facebook did anything illegal or even unethical.  It just "looks bad",  I reckon,  at least in the eyes of the left.
Wylie was very effective in using social media in the campaign,  so much so,  some have said his efforts were responsible for the victory.  I don't doubt his being behind this--its just too damn good for him not to be. 
But,  I'm not going to expect too much in the way of praise from the FNMSM or left;  not like they heaped upon the '08 Obozo campaign for their "pioneering" efforts at social media and internet use in campaigning;  even to the point of illegality in the way they set up their campaign donations by credit card to be untraceable,  so they could illegally collect foreign donations.

Just for clarification:

Wylie,  I've learned,  is actually the gay "whistleblower" (no,  not that kind of whistle,   oh ye with minds of filth  ;)  ).  I was thinking of this guy,  the one who directed Trump's social media/digital campaign.  I think it was about a year ago 60 minutes had a segment featuring him and how his use of social media was so effective in securing Trump's victory.  Last  night,  ABC FakeNews,  in reporting on this current brouhaha,  had just a snippet of him commenting but they didn't I.D. him by name for some reason--I looked for it...hard. 
Anyway,  here's a piece from Wired magazine from Aug.  2016,  where they are recognizing him as an indication that the Trump campaign was getting serious about the new frontier of "digital campaigning".  :

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/man-behind-trumps-bid-finally-take-digital-seriously/

His name is Brad Parscale.  Heads up:  look for it to come up in this,  real soon,  and not in a good way. 

Online WilliamVA

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 05:19:09 PM »
Funny how they aren't investigating "Bully Pulpit Interactive"  which is the company the Clinton
Campaign used to do the exact same work for HRC.  In fact, in the first month the Trump Campaign
invested serious money in Digital Campaigning (8.8M),  the HRC Campaign spent 100 times that
much on Bully Pulpit.    Checking their site, they even say they research your "clicks, likes, and shares".
Sounds like Facebook, and Twitter to me, uh huh. 

BTW this is the company that did the Data Mining for the Obama Campaign, and of course the Clinton
campaign.  The Dems are allegedly afraid Trump Campaign might have shared the data with the
Russians.   I am sure the Russians are more then capable of their own data mining.

So far I still have not heard of a single law that has been broken, and even alluding to some wrong doing
like the Dems continue to do, they are most often the first guilty thereof.  Now of course they are talking
of regulating Facebook, and Twitter...yeah, let's slam that door after the ponies have already gotten out.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 08:11:10 PM »
Now of course they are talking of regulating Facebook, and Twitter...

A very, very bad idea, right up there with Net "Neutrality".  Once gummint gets its nose under the tent, next thing the whole camel is sitting on you.