Author Topic: Omnibus spending bill is a complete atrocity!  (Read 5467 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Omnibus spending bill is a complete atrocity!
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2018, 04:10:31 AM »
Lookee here:

President Trump tweeted something very suggestive this morning, indicating that he may use the powers of the executive to work around the $1.3 trillion abomination’s limitations on the border wall:

... “Build WALL through M” sounds like a plan that John Salisbury outlined in a Twitter thread yesterday.  Rather than embed each tweet, I will post their contents below. Readers who want to reference an individual tweet may visit the link above to review the entire thread.

1) Let's talk about what the President can and can't do for this Omnibus Bill. There's a lot of discussion both ways so let's examine how money gets allocated & spent in the US Government:

1. Congress allocates money to be spent. The President spends the allocated money.

2. Once Congress allocates money, their job is oversight of the money being spent. They don't spend the money and have no say HOW it gets spent as long as it's spent legally. That's their job to monitor with oversight.

3. Once the President is given the money with the instructions to spend it, he has a number of choices to make in spending it. There are some rules he has to follow & some of the money is fungible and some isn't.

4. However there are some other factors that are in play here. One of them is that the President has declared a Human Rights Emergency AND has notified Congress that he's invoking the Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985. 5. This opens up new options.

6. By making these two declarations President Trump has just communicated that he has the authority to NOT spend any funds he doesn't deem necessary and will return them to the US Treasury. So, funds for Planned Parenthood? He can simply not allocate the funds.

7. Also, these declarations make some funds fungible. For instance if he determines that building a Wall on the Southern Border is a defense against Human Trafficking? He can move funds from anywhere else in the Defense Dept Allocation & simply build the Wall.

8. Congress is powerless to stop cash reallocations on an omnibus bill AND cannot stop the DOD from taking measures under a declared Emergency. 9. Despite their language in the Omnibus Bill about the Border Wall, it is trumped by the State of Emergency that Trump declared.

8) So in summary - This will go to the Courts. Congress will sue the President over the Border Wall. But here's how it will play out - Congress and the President are co-equal branches with different functions. Congress allocates. The President spends.

9) The President has National Security as his Primary Responsibility and it's his job to use whatever funds and declarations he needs to for that job. No Court in this Nation (except corrupt on the take Judges) would EVER rule against a President for exercising that authority.

10) In the end the Supreme Court (yes, that's where it will end) will fully VALIDATE the President's Constitutional Authority & the Wall will be built. /end #MAGA #QAnon #TQFam #8Chan #TheGreatAwakening #TheStormIsHere @POTUS #InternetBillOfRights #FreeTheInternet

In a later tweet, Salisbury speculates:

This has got Mulvaney's fingerprints all over it...

Note that Nick Mulvaney, head of the OMB, outmaneuvered and outsmarted Elizabeth Warren’s cats paws at the Consumer Financial Protection Board, and became simultaneously the director there in order to begin dismantling its burdensome regulations. Taking advantage of Warren's design, he is now immune from Congressional oversight there. There is little doubt that he is highly skilled at using bureaucratic and legal farmeworks.

I am not a constitutional lawyer, and have no idea if this strategy would work. But I ike the way it promises to get the job done.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2018, 07:56:31 AM »
Another case of Congress delegating authority to the executive and people being either elated or butthurt depending who the executive is.  I do not like it that people good at navigating the bureaucracy are needed, but in latter day America it is what it is.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online WilliamVA

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2018, 10:00:10 AM »
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/healthcare/insurers-pick-up-the-pieces-after-obamacare-bills-fail

"Insurers expressed disappointment that infighting over abortion language defeated the stabilization package, which lawmakers tried to add to the government spending bill last week."

Apparently the great Obamacare bailout didn't make it into the Appropriations Bill.  Insurers have until June 20th to decide whether
they will remain in the program, and Premiums will be rising again in November.

Offline NHTom

• I don't fit in your fasces
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2018, 02:17:56 PM »
Rush was talking about this and apparently Trump may be able to use some of the military money to build the wall.

1. The Donald declares a human rights/trafficking emergency
2. This allows him to dip into the military budget
3. Part of the emergency response is to build a wall

Actually, I think the opioid epidemic is more of an emergency, but what the hey...

Trump knew he was probably going to get screwed with this but signed it anyway because - he had an insurance policy  ::pimp::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2018, 02:52:07 PM »
Rush was talking about this and apparently Trump may be able to use some of the military money to build the wall.

Actually, I think the opioid epidemic is more of an emergency, but what the hey...

Trump knew he was probably going to get screwed with this but signed it anyway because - he had an insurance policy  ::pimp::

Covered here:
http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,16372.msg171351/topicseen.html#msg171351
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2018, 04:14:22 PM »

Covered here:
http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,16372.msg171351/topicseen.html#msg171351

Actually, it's right here:

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,16361.msg171339.html#msg171339

Correction:  Or just scroll up this page.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 05:30:15 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2018, 04:33:06 PM »
 ::falldownshocked::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie