Author Topic: [s]Browser[/s], Homepage, looking for a new one  (Read 2698 times)

Offline hemm

• Newb
[s]Browser[/s], Homepage, looking for a new one
« on: March 24, 2018, 08:10:55 AM »
Edited (I think) for clarity - I meant homepage not browser.  Too early and not enough coffee.

I've had yahoo forever. got used to it and never switched because I had bookmarks there, including IAL which was how I was able to get back in after a 5 year hiatus, (it saved my password, I just couldn't read it).

Well, now it seems yahoo has killed my rss feeds and the general functionality I was used to and about every 3 months it wants me to 'upgrade' to some other new version of their 'best of yahoo....'

So, rant off.

I am looking for a new browser. I use a Mac so something that's compatible......

Suggestions?  Thx in advance.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 02:58:30 PM by hemm »
Not as new as I look, and I have an even worse attitude than I did when I first got here.

Online WilliamVA

Re: Browser, looking for a new one
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 10:21:02 AM »
I've had yahoo forever. got used to it and never switched because I had bookmarks there, including IAL which was how I was able to get back in after a 5 year hiatus, (it saved my password, I just couldn't read it).

Well, now it seems yahoo has killed my rss feeds and the general functionality I was used to and about every 3 months it wants me to 'upgrade' to some other new version of their 'best of yahoo....'

So, rant off.

I am looking for a new browser. I use a Mac so something that's compatible......

Mac comes with a browser,  Sierra.  Also Firefox has a Mac Version. (www.mozilla.org). 

I didn't know Yahoo provided a browser, a homepage yes,  browser new to me?   Google has a Browser...Chrome..  otherwise
they recomment Firefox.   

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 11:15:26 AM »
I use firefox.  Have since my Unix days.  Can't stand Internet Explorer (IE)
With Chrome (Google's spy ware) you have no idea what info they are stealing from you. But I guess they all do.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 12:12:01 PM »
My preference is Pale Moon. Built off the Firefox chassis it seems to run faster than FF and is more private than IE or (spit!) chrome.

As always remember that Gargoyle is Evil!

Online WilliamVA

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 12:30:01 PM »
I use firefox.  Have since my Unix days.  Can't stand Internet Explorer (IE)
With Chrome (Google's spy ware) you have no idea what info they are stealing from you. But I guess they all do.

I have been using Firefox since it was called Netscape Navigator.  If you search down into IE coding, it's written
around Mozilla.  Chrome is crap to me.  lol, the first browser I used was called a gopher.

Offline hemm

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 02:59:17 PM »

So, rant off.

Mac comes with a browser,  Sierra.  Also Firefox has a Mac Version. (www.mozilla.org). 

I didn't know Yahoo provided a browser, a homepage yes,  browser new to me?   Google has a Browser...Chrome..  otherwise
they recomment Firefox.

Yep, that is what I meant.....homepage not browser, my apologies.

I do use FireFox, I can't stand Safari but am forced there from time to time because some places I must visit just work better there or their platforms won't work on FireFox. 

So yes, as WilliamVA pointed out, I meant a home page.
Not as new as I look, and I have an even worse attitude than I did when I first got here.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline NHTom

• I don't fit in your fasces

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: [s]Browser[/s], Homepage, looking for a new one
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 04:54:41 PM »
So yes, as WilliamVA pointed out, I meant a home page.

Aah - got it.

My surfing habits are perhaps a little unusual (I don't know). I use Pale Moon which allows me t reopen last used pages. I have a semi-elaborate bunch of open pages including IAL, FreeRepublic, a local blog, a NC blog, Ebay, Craigslist, and others. It works kinda like a running commentary that I come back to and refresh from time to time.

My actual homepage is https://www.startpage.com/ 9although right now I'm getting a certificate error). On some of my machines I simply use "blank page" and access my bookmarks.

Online WilliamVA

Re: [s]Browser[/s], Homepage, looking for a new one
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 05:58:54 PM »
Most ISP's provide a homepage, and email service as part of their package.  My ISP is Metrocast, a Comcast clone....kinda sorta, not
quite as busy.  Although I have a Gmail account, nothing important happens there...  My ISP service is strictly POP/SMTP.  Though I can
keep Email on the server,  I prefer to cleaned out, and keep copies on my PC(s).  For tha I use Thunderbird, which is also a
Mozilla creation. 

It's just personal, but I prefer to open my browsers with the Homepage I am paying for, not a freebee.  I don't particularly care for the
AP based news service..but heck I have a list of news services that suit my politics,