Author Topic: Tesla is just months from a total collapse  (Read 2772 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Tesla is just months from a total collapse
« on: March 28, 2018, 01:02:25 PM »
Unless Elon Musk “pulls a rabbit out of his hat,” Tesla will be bankrupt within four months, says John Thompson of Vilas Capital Management.

“Companies eventually have to make a profit, and I don’t ever see that happening here,” he told MarketWatch. “This is one of the worst income statements I’ve ever seen and between the story and the financials, the financials will win out in this case.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/topstocks/tesla-is-just-months-from-a-total-collapse-says-hedge-fund-manager/ar-BBKM4Im?li=BBnb7Kz
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline hemm

• Newb
Re: Tesla is just months from a total collapse
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 04:05:09 PM »
 ::cool:: ::whoohoo:: ::danceban:: ::bustamove::
Not as new as I look, and I have an even worse attitude than I did when I first got here.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »
Look for a tax payer bailout. Since he's got electric cars and all. ::pullhair::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 05:17:22 PM »
Look for a tax payer bailout. Since he's got electric cars and all. ::pullhair::

He's a billionare so...  Yeah.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 06:44:55 AM »
 ::bustamove::Seems like an easy veto, unless they play their usual tricks and load it with treats for everyone.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 09:54:37 AM »
  Remember he walked out on Trump as a member of the business round table I believe it was. So it's hard to come back and ask for money after his public comments about not willing to work with POTUS.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »
Yeah, hilarious.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 12:29:55 AM »
Amazing how long this scam has lasted.     But it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings.   He has a lot of friends that will help him rip off even more taxpayer money.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 07:48:09 AM »
OK, so who has a harpoon?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 05:16:52 PM »
  Doesn't he own Space x ?
 Filippo Mazzie

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 05:40:44 PM »
Yes he does, and the feds have been pumping money into that also.  What I understand is he shells out over $100 million of his own money every time he launches.  That is why the flyback booster was so important to him, it actually saves him from putting cash into the business.  I still don't think it is profitable for him yet.
Eschew Obfuscation

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »

I think Space X launch costs are very low compared to anyone else, especially NASA.
I am not sure how they compare to Russia. We were relying on Russia for a while.
Some people are asking why NASA is continuing with plans for the SLS system which is costing a lot and still not complete.

I begrudge the US giving money to Space X. It appears well spent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Launch_System
During the joint Senate-NASA presentation in September 2011, it was stated that the SLS program has a projected development cost of $18 billion through 2017, with $10 billion for the SLS rocket, $6 billion for the Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle and $2 billion for upgrades to the launch pad and other facilities at Kennedy Space Center.[19][20] Private space advocacy groups, such as the Space Access Society and the Space Frontier Foundation have called for cancellation of the program, arguing it is unnecessarily cost-intensive and will consume the funds for other NASA projects, and that it will not reduce launch costs.[21]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_orbital_launch_systems

When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »
Launch costs using SpaceX are much lower for the customer because Elon throws a bunch of his money into paying for then.  Costs for Atlas and Delta are comparably higher because ULA does not kick $100 million just cause they are trying to be a rocket company, they already are.  His fly back booster is a definite cost saver, but I wonder what the refurbishment costs are.  SpaceX has done some amazing things, don't get me wrong, but Elon is a bit smug and hes only had a few failures and with each he learns but there will be more, and I hope he doesn't kill anyone in his rush to stick his finger in the eye of guys that have been doing this for decades.

Don't forget to look at Jeff Bezos and his Blue Origin New Glen Rocket.  They have flown their New Shepard vehicle about a dozen times and returned it back to the launch pad every time.  Even when they did not expect it to survive the high altitude abort test for their capsule the first stage came flying home like a champ.  They have the first launch vehicle in their assembly area to remind every employee of what they have achieved and to inspire them to do more.

As far as Russia goes , we still rely on them.  They are the only nation capable of human space flight (other than China, but we recently saw what happened to their space station).

The SLS is the only launch vehicle capable of taking the new Orion Exploration Vehicle to lunar orbit.  The Falcon 9 Heavy is close but does not have the mass throwing capability for what NASA plans on doing next.  That plan is lunar orbiting station, mars vehicle assembly at that space station, potential Lunar Base that will use said space station as a probable way point and many other exploration missions. It will also be able to throw the largest mass to Lunar or Mars orbit which is the NASA Exploration plan as stated previously.

If the SLS was reusable, as Musks first stages are, that would really advance our space flight capability and seriously lower costs.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 12:03:49 PM »
NASA was a victim of its own success and was aided by a national priority contest with Russia that also brought in a buttload of pride that cannot be dismissed and the kind of funding national emergencies only get...only to be stuck with that massive bureaucracy and attendant budget-busting appetite for funding.  Government can succeed as a start-up on such high-priority items but totally sucks after achieving its initial objectives...hindsight being 20-20...the space program should have been privatized immediately following Apollo.

Personalities aside, we need these people to keep a viable space program going.  I see SpaceX and Blue Origin filling traditional sub-orbital mission roles and some orbital missions, NASA right now with their SLS is the only heavy-payload option.  Blue Origin seems to be more successful of late with Shepard, we will have to see if SpaceX's BFR develops into the heavy-launch vehicle they hope it to be.

I think the best thing to do is to have SpaceX and Blue go head-to-head on heavy-launch vehicles and have NASA bow out of that...it's that kind of program that leads to these massive cost overruns...the GAO says the SLS is too underfunded for crying out loud!  NASA should restrict itself to unmanned exploration and provide facilities and support to the private programs.

Right now the Russians charge around $71M or so to put our Astronauts up, and thanks to the D-MC/DeepState Trump/Russia hatefest that option could be more costly or not available at all.  It is embarrassing to see how we squandered our manned space effort.  We have to get smarter and more efficient and that is where the private outfits can help.  In fact I wouldn't mind seeing more private outfits start programs, seems more successful partly because missions are specific and not across the board.

As a famous man once said - Git-R-Done!

Online Syzygy

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 01:59:23 PM »
I think Musk/Tesla should combine interests and efforts,  and build me a flying car...a flying ELECTRIC car.  Yeah,  dats da ticket.   ::cool::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 03:06:47 PM »
I think Musk/Tesla should combine interests and efforts,  and build me a flying car...a flying ELECTRIC car.  Yeah,  dats da ticket.   ::cool::

When I was a kid growing up I was teased by the Jetson's...cool, I have a sweet little saucer to zip around on when I'm older...now I'm certainly older, just no sweet little saucer...

::cussing::  liars!

What do we have?  Kids eating Tide-Pod's lecturing us about not needing guns in the face of unrelenting D-MC/DeepState oppression and people confused over which bathroom to use...

::unknowncomic::

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 10:27:27 PM »

What do we have?  Kids eating Tide-Pod's lecturing us about not needing guns in the face of unrelenting D-MC/DeepState oppression and people confused over which bathroom to use...

They're not confused they are ill, seriously ill.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 10:44:55 AM »

They're not confused they are ill, seriously ill.

Either way...I want them gone, seriously gone.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 09:54:50 PM »
I don't follow the details on the various space projects like some here. I wonder to what extent NASA has been hamstrung by various govt requirements. How much time do they spend on affirmative action, transgender requirements, etc.

Now that it is possible for private organizations to put payloads into space maybe NASA's day are numbered. I am sure that there are many talented NASA engineers. I wonder if they are outnumbered by the political class above them.
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 07:45:24 AM »
You left out Islaminal outreach.