Author Topic: Facebook to ask hospitals to share patient data  (Read 1038 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Facebook to ask hospitals to share patient data
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:41:19 AM »
"The medical industry has long understood that there are general health benefits to having a close-knit circle of family and friends. But deeper research into this link is needed to help medical professionals develop specific treatment and intervention plans that take social connection into account."

Facebook was in talks with top hospitals and other medical groups as recently as last month about a proposal to share data about the social networks of their most vulnerable patients.

The idea was to build profiles of people that included their medical conditions, information that health systems have, as well as social and economic factors gleaned from Facebook.

... While the data shared would obscure personally identifiable information, such as the patient's name, Facebook proposed using a common computer science technique called "hashing" to match individuals who existed in both sets. Facebook says the data would have been used only for research conducted by the medical community.

... Facebook's pitch, according to two people who heard it and one who is familiar with the project, was to combine what a health system knows about its patients (such as: person has heart disease, is age 50, takes 2 medications and made 3 trips to the hospital this year) with what Facebook knows (such as: user is age 50, married with 3 kids, English isn't a primary language, actively engages with the community by sending a lot of messages).

The project would then figure out if this combined information could improve patient care, initially with a focus on cardiovascular health. For instance, if Facebook could determine that an elderly patient doesn't have many nearby close friends or much community support, the health system might decide to send over a nurse to check in after a major surgery.

... The issue of patient consent did not come up in the early discussions ....

... "Last month we decided that we should pause these discussions so we can focus on other important work, including doing a better job of protecting people's data and being clearer with them about how that data is used in our products and services."

... The proposal never went past the planning phases and has been put on pause after the Cambridge Analytica data leak scandal raised public concerns over how Facebook and others collect and use detailed information about Facebook users.

So, Facebook is concerned about "helping" achieve better health outcomes and patient care.  How altruistic of them.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline NHTom

• I don't fit in your fasces
Re: Facebook to ask hospitals to share patient data
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »
What could possibly go wrong?

Earlier today I posted a link to the Beitbart talks on Google/Facebook where they delve into companies w/ TMI.  In short: Bad idea.

Whenever I walk into a doctor's office they want me to sign a disclosure thing so they can collect insurance.  When I ask what I'm supposed to be signing they aways say "Oh, That's your HIPPA rights."  On closer reading it's me signing away my HIPPA rights.

They have a little phrase in there about releasing your medical information "...for any other medical purpose."  That could easily be stretched to mean a study the NYT is doing for a story.  Next thing you know your name is on the front page w/ your complete medical history.

I always read it and cross out the parts I don't like.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 12:07:51 PM »
On closer reading it's me signing away my HIPPA rights.

Exactly so.  The list of with whom they may "share" is twice as long as those with whom they don't/won't.

I always read it and cross out the parts I don't like.

Good job, but they're not asking your permission, they're "informing" you.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 02:39:06 PM »
Yup.

But healthcare workers will be fired if the even remotest of PHI is shared on social media...but when the organization does it, all is well.

Hypocrisy....Progs ooze it!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.