Author Topic: Equity Markets - A New Bear Market Looming?  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Equity Markets - A New Bear Market Looming?
« on: May 23, 2011, 01:07:49 PM »
I've always responded to pretty charts, so little wonder I follow what chartists say...but numbers can do funny things, sometimes patterns repeat in reliable ways, sometimes not...but they are indicators of movement and prudence dictates their possible warnings should not be discarded out of hand.

http://blog.afraidtotrade.com/triple-index-busted-support-to-start-the-may-23-week/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+afraidtotrade%2FNRSd+%28Afraid+to+Trade.com+Blog%29
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Equity Markets - A New Bear Market Looming?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:36:50 PM »
I've always responded to pretty charts, so little wonder I follow what chartists say...but numbers can do funny things, sometimes patterns repeat in reliable ways, sometimes not...but they are indicators of movement and prudence dictates their possible warnings should not be discarded out of hand.

http://blog.afraidtotrade.com/triple-index-busted-support-to-start-the-may-23-week/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+afraidtotrade%2FNRSd+%28Afraid+to+Trade.com+Blog%29

Hard to argue against a bear market when you factor in the struggles of Europe. Japan.

Consistancy is the key...tell me where it is.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:22:15 PM »
Apparently the only thing consistent is the widespread economic misery...

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:29:07 PM »
Apparently the only thing consistent is the widespread economic misery...

If Im a heavy investor...and I watch the idiotic protests overseas, not wanting to lose thier giveaways.....

I have consolidated an old 401k plan I had thru an old employer....And now I'm looking to invest the money...nothing looks too good right now.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
I hear ya.  I moved 100% of my 401(k) and half my IRA into gold a couple years ago, so I enjoyed the recent run up.  But with gold seeming to find a new base around $1500 and silver around $35 I still like precious metals as a safe harbor, especially if a third round of QE is in the offing.  I even heard one regional FedHead say he thinks the recent margin resets for speculators and resulting price drop did them a favor to where another round of QE makes sense.  Since I am betting on stupid policies continuing and Obama & Co doing all they can to punish producers, reward looters and increase the number of people without a job...I am holding and increasing my position in gold.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:29:50 PM »

"Since I am betting on stupid policies continuing and Obama & Co doing all they can to punish producers, reward looters and increase the number of people without a job...I am holding and increasing my position in gold."

Is it time? Which is the higher probability, that they will smarten up and grease the wheels until after the election or that they will trip on their watch fob again?   

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »
Oh I have no doubt that if they lose big after the election the interregnum will be Katy-bar-the-door...but leading up to it the Proglodytes (and probably some of their Ruling Class enablers in the GOP) will see an overwhelmingly urgent need for stimulus...if they can manufacture fictitious increases in employment and economic activity going into the fall of 2012 they will fool some of the people...and you know they will try.  So the stumbling over each other can only increase the closer we get to election day...so tripping on their watch fob seems just as good a bet.  Bet on both, but the latter will happen first!

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:17:35 PM »
I have consolidated an old 401k plan I had thru an old employer....And now I'm looking to invest the money...nothing looks too good right now.

I had the same problem, and decided to invest in self-reliance and security. We saw what was coming, know the history of govt confiscating retirement savings, and  saw there was little if any opportunity to grow our retirement savings and that inflation would probably wipe out any gains we did manage to attain- along with the principle.  So we "retired" -  cashed a  large chunk of the IRA, paid the tax penalty and bought the retirement house free and clear. We spend other savings on emergency food, solar panels, bullion, a greenhouse, a wood stove, tools and other improvements. I will own my house, I will make my own power, I wil cut my own fuel for heat, and grow and hunt  most of my own food, and I get to live in a beautiful place and do most of the the things I like to do. Maybe I will learn to Kayak as well.  Soak the rich, will quickly turn into "soak the responsible savers and investors" as the spiral continues.  

Yes I wanted more from my life and my retirement, but they raised the drawbridge and lowered the gate. I will never be wealthy.  Obama took my hopes and dreams and gave them to others. Fine. But they  took the carrot off of the stick and this young horse ain't taking another step. Hell, I might become a looter myself. I worked for 20 years,  shouldn't I get some of that back? Thats what these people claiming social security are saying- its owed to them because they paid in.  Shouldn't I get mine while the gettings good and go on food stamps and welfare and disability? If the Adult baby can do it, can't I?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:47:25 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 11:08:48 PM »

I had the same problem, and decided to invest in self-reliance and security. We saw what was coming, know the history of govt confiscating retirement savings, and  saw there was little if any opportunity to grow our retirement savings and that inflation would probably wipe out any gains we did manage to attain- along with the principle.  So we "retired" -  cashed a  large chunk of the IRA, paid the tax penalty and bought the retirement house free and clear. We spend other savings on emergency food, solar panels, bullion, a greenhouse, a wood stove, tools and other improvements. I will own my house, I will make my own power, I wil cut my own fuel for heat, and grow and hunt  most of my own food, and I get to live in a beautiful place and do most of the the things I like to do. Maybe I will learn to Kayak as well.  Soak the rich, will quickly turn into "soak the responsible savers and investors" as the spiral continues.  

Yes I wanted more from my life and my retirement, but they raised the drawbridge and lowered the gate. I will never be wealthy.  Obama took my hopes and dreams and gave them to others. Fine. But they  took the carrot off of the stick and this young horse ain't taking another step. Hell, I might become a looter myself. I worked for 20 years,  shouldn't I get some of that back? Thats what these people claiming social security are saying- its owed to them because they paid in.  Shouldn't I get mine while the gettings good and go on food stamps and welfare and disability? If the Adult baby can do it, can't I?

I have no debt, business is paid, but don't think I can take your path...LOL...Right now, the funds are sitting in nothing, drawing less than 1% thru Scottrade. Maybe this is part of the liberal grand plan, create an investment enviroment where SS looks good.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 11:45:16 PM »
Shouldn't I get mine while the gettings good and go on food stamps and welfare and disability? If the Adult baby can do it, can't I?

Just so I'm clear, are you talking about this one, or this one?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 06:51:25 AM »
 ::hysterical::

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 10:33:36 PM »
[Just so I'm clear, are you talking about this one, or this one?

What is the difference?

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »
I have no debt, business is paid, but don't think I can take your path...LOL...Right now, the funds are sitting in nothing, drawing less than 1% thru Scottrade. Maybe this is part of the liberal grand plan, create an investment enviroment where SS looks good.

I am mostly debtless. Just the mortgage that most people at my stage in life have- though mine is reasonable and still above water. Though we keep wondering if we should sell it now, while the getting good.  OF course, having no debt just means you are a chump - because when the inflation hits all debts will be basically meaningless? $2800 mortgage payment?  HA! that is what I spent on my Big Mac Meal at lunch.

Don't worry, Borat will regulate your business out of business via Obamacare, sky high fuel prices by policy, by price fixing what you make and sell, or simply by burying you in paperwork.  

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j3EtPV_6Hz7HdSb3gp1cBkL3sVnQ?docId=CNG.93ae310642910016fd01326c08ce5822.11
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/welcome-hyperinflation-hell-following-currency-devaluation-belarus-economy-implodes-sets-blu

This is what Borat wants for us. I see no reason he won't succeed..this certainly is not a hopeful sign

Follow in my footsteps or not, we have seen our future, because we are doing the same things that have been done inthe past. We should expect the same result.