Author Topic: I saw this and was transported back in time to the happiness of my youth  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!

I had one of these...no orange parts...had a matching plastic helmet too.  A few years later my little sister would take them both and play with them.

Ahhh...those were good days then...had no idea they had an expiration date...

:'(
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Everything has an expiration date.  It's good for kids that they don't know that.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Never had one. Couldn't afford it. But I had the great equalizer: a Grandpa who know how to woodcraft. We had no end of weaponry - from broadblade swords to pistols to rifles, he could make them all. They didn't actually fire nerf pellets or make noise but Grandpa knew that our imaginations could fill in the gap.

What would Grandpa think if today's kid were to ask him to carve a X-box?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
  The days when you played cowboys and Indians or God forbid WAR!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero

The arrows worked better if you took the suction cups off and put them in the pencil sharpener.
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers

The arrows worked better if you took the suction cups off and put them in the pencil sharpener.

::hysterical::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
We used to have BB gun fights. We were smart enough to wear goggles, unless there were more guys than goggles, then we'd just wear sunglasses.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
We played mostly GI's vs whoever...commies, nazis, japs,...

Would have ground forts, tree forts.  Some guys had snazzy store-bough wrist-rockets...everybody else made their own.  Come war-fighting time we had a rule of no-rocks, only dirt clods.  OK, sometimes they had little rocks in 'em...and we would make artillery-launchers using old bicycle tire inner-tubes.  We got pretty wild.  Of course somebody would take too hard a hit and a truce would be called.  Don't recall any serious or approaching serious injuries...guys would use whatever sports or hand-fashioned armor to protect themselves.  Polish-cannon's fashioned from old soup cans and shooting flaming tennis balls was fun (as long as the fuzz lasted, 2-3 shots, then it was like a crusty meteor)...till some kid took one in the eye-socket...eye was OK, worst shiner I ever saw though!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
  Come war-fighting time we had a rule of no-rocks, only dirt clods.

Some of those had the consistency of rocks. I remember that well. Got hit with a few.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Syzygy

Almost all my early Christmases were gun themed,  mostly of the wild west variety .

The earliest I remember me and older bro got Wyatt Earp outfits,  gun not included. 

Next year,   it was a Paladin guns and holster set (two pistols,  although Boone only wore one in the series).  Sweet.  Real leather holsters and even came with the "Have Gun--Will Travel" calling cards. 

One year,  bro got a half size replica of the "Mare's Leg" Steve McQueen carried in the  Wanted: Dead or Alive series.

Another year,  he got a chrome Colt .45 replica w/imitation ivory grips that looked so real,  a cop would probably shoot the kid playing with it today.  And I got a huge book:  Great American Guns.  It told of notable firearms through history,  starting with the Kentucky/Pennsylvania long rifle,  and accompanied by a true short story for each. That thing was awesome.  Me and bro wore the damn thing out reading it...over and over and....

One year,  I got a Bat Masterson outfit,  complete with cane,  derby, and that little .38 (I think it was) he carried. 

The real beaut was a full sized replica of an M-1.  Mostly plastic but still realistic looking.   Parents did a real disservice in getting only one.  Anytime a war would break out (almost daily in the summer),  always a fuss twixt me and bro over who gets to use the M-1.

The gun of my dreams I never got:  The Rifleman's rifle.  I idolized Chuck Conners.  I did get a Rifleman sweatshirt though.  Proudly wore it on my first ever school day. 

And I had a younger cousin who did have one,  fortunately.  He was kind enough to loan me his,  loaded up with a fresh roll of caps,  so I could go out on his family's carport,  and re-enact the opening of The Rifleman...over and over and over again,  until I ran out of ammo (exhausted the roll of caps).  Sweet.   

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Oh year...cap guns, the cowboy variety...people forget why caps came in rolls, break one segment off, stick it in the gun like a roll if film.  IIRC one style gun took it's own kind of caps, real pain to find.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

Some of those had the consistency of rocks. I remember that well. Got hit with a few.

We used to have dirt clod wars too... Standing on top of dirt piles from new construction excavation... lobbing clods. Used to take special delight when the clod I grabbed had a rock in it.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero

I think I had a belt buckle with a derringer in it. Or maybe I just wanted one. I can't remember.  I know I had a derringer.

I watched the recent movie The Florida Project, maybe on Amazon Prime. A bunch of poor, free range kids living in a cheap motel near Disneyworld. Not exactly like me growing up but they were free.
Even their screw ups seemed real to me.  How weere they supposed to know that the fireplace in the abandoned condos was not a real fireplace?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwQ-NH1rRT4

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero

We used to have dirt clod wars too... Standing on top of dirt piles from new construction excavation... lobbing clods. Used to take special delight when the clod I grabbed had a rock in it.

We had rules too. No rocks in snow balls. I remember the giant snow mounds in the middle of culdesacs. Perfect for king of the hill.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Yeah I remember making snow forts and using hot water to firm up the walls...and to shore up the tunnels between two because you always needed a fallback position in case your lead one suffered battle damage.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Ha! I remember one of the younger kids (like me) getting hit with a snow-covered rock. I also remember my older brother and his buddies pantsing the dude and burying him up to the neck in snow.

I bet that guy still pulls the wings offa flies.