Topics > History

I saw this and was transported back in time to the happiness of my youth

<< < (2/4) > >>

IronDioPriest:

--- Quote from: patentlymn on April 22, 2018, 08:31:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: John Florida on April 22, 2018, 07:46:03 PM ---  The days when you played cowboys and Indians or God forbid WAR!

--- End quote ---

The arrows worked better if you took the suction cups off and put them in the pencil sharpener.

--- End quote ---

::hysterical::

IronDioPriest:
We used to have BB gun fights. We were smart enough to wear goggles, unless there were more guys than goggles, then we'd just wear sunglasses.

Libertas:
We played mostly GI's vs whoever...commies, nazis, japs,...

Would have ground forts, tree forts.  Some guys had snazzy store-bough wrist-rockets...everybody else made their own.  Come war-fighting time we had a rule of no-rocks, only dirt clods.  OK, sometimes they had little rocks in 'em...and we would make artillery-launchers using old bicycle tire inner-tubes.  We got pretty wild.  Of course somebody would take too hard a hit and a truce would be called.  Don't recall any serious or approaching serious injuries...guys would use whatever sports or hand-fashioned armor to protect themselves.  Polish-cannon's fashioned from old soup cans and shooting flaming tennis balls was fun (as long as the fuzz lasted, 2-3 shots, then it was like a crusty meteor)...till some kid took one in the eye-socket...eye was OK, worst shiner I ever saw though!

AlanS:

--- Quote from: Libertas on April 23, 2018, 01:26:15 PM ---  Come war-fighting time we had a rule of no-rocks, only dirt clods.

--- End quote ---

Some of those had the consistency of rocks. I remember that well. Got hit with a few.

Syzygy:
Almost all my early Christmases were gun themed,  mostly of the wild west variety .

The earliest I remember me and older bro got Wyatt Earp outfits,  gun not included. 

Next year,   it was a Paladin guns and holster set (two pistols,  although Boone only wore one in the series).  Sweet.  Real leather holsters and even came with the "Have Gun--Will Travel" calling cards. 

One year,  bro got a half size replica of the "Mare's Leg" Steve McQueen carried in the  Wanted: Dead or Alive series.

Another year,  he got a chrome Colt .45 replica w/imitation ivory grips that looked so real,  a cop would probably shoot the kid playing with it today.  And I got a huge book:  Great American Guns.  It told of notable firearms through history,  starting with the Kentucky/Pennsylvania long rifle,  and accompanied by a true short story for each. That thing was awesome.  Me and bro wore the damn thing out reading it...over and over and....

One year,  I got a Bat Masterson outfit,  complete with cane,  derby, and that little .38 (I think it was) he carried. 

The real beaut was a full sized replica of an M-1.  Mostly plastic but still realistic looking.   Parents did a real disservice in getting only one.  Anytime a war would break out (almost daily in the summer),  always a fuss twixt me and bro over who gets to use the M-1.

The gun of my dreams I never got:  The Rifleman's rifle.  I idolized Chuck Conners.  I did get a Rifleman sweatshirt though.  Proudly wore it on my first ever school day. 

And I had a younger cousin who did have one,  fortunately.  He was kind enough to loan me his,  loaded up with a fresh roll of caps,  so I could go out on his family's carport,  and re-enact the opening of The Rifleman...over and over and over again,  until I ran out of ammo (exhausted the roll of caps).  Sweet.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version