Author Topic: Nuptial firearms  (Read 1741 times)

Offline NHTom

• I don't fit in your fasces
Nuptial firearms
« on: April 22, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »
My son is getting married in a couple of weeks.

Novel gift?  His and hers firearms.

And then there's all the other stuff:
1. cleaning
2. ammo
3. instruction
4. holster(?)
5. gun safe

I obviously can't buy them for them, but I can pay for them.

He's 6'2".  She's about 5'4".  I'm thinking a 9 for him and a .380 for her.

Thoughts?

Offline NHTom

Re: Nuptial firearms
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 02:27:04 PM »
The only thing worse than not having a firearm with you need it is not knowing how to use it.

So I checked out NRA Women and they have a series of videos for women.  I started to watch one when the narrator posited what the most important thing women should know before going to a range.  I was expecting something like "NEVER POINT THE GUN ANYWHERE BUT DOWNRANGE!"

Nope.  It's "What do I wear?"   ::gaah::
http://www.nrawomen.tv/love-at-first-shot/video/episode-1-first-trip-to-the-range/list/love-at-first-shot-season-1-episodes

Online paulh

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 02:44:25 PM »
Sig P320 for both- 40 S&W for him, 9MM for her. Add the new Crimson Trace now available for each. ::thumbsup:: Forgot to add, his in a carry, hers in a compact. The carry has a longer grip.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 02:50:20 PM »
If I were to recommend anything for a 1st timer female gun owner it would be a revolver. Why? Because they remain the best "point & click" interface.

Think of the series of decisions involved in a firefight

Recognizing the need and making the decision to pull your weapon
The mechanics of drawing your weapon
The mechanics of aiming and sighting your weapon
One in the pipe? Safety off?
And that last second decision to fire - did you remember to check your field of fire for collateral damage?

There are a ton of factors and decisions to make. Until you've had sufficient training to form subconscious habits and until those habits become ingrained there are a bunch of opportunities to either freeze up or become indecisive.

Revolvers, especially hammer-less revolvers eliminate a couple of decisions that otherwise may chew up the seconds you have to effectively respond. "1 in the pipe" is the default, no slide or hammer to cock, and no safety to remember the correct position.

Their failure to feed and failure to fire rate is substantially lower.

Their shortcoming is the limitation of 5 or 6 bullets compared to magazines of up to 14 rounds in a semi-auto - but then we are not talking about advanced fighters in advanced firefights.

My .02

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 03:44:09 PM »
The best for either one of them -- but particularly her -- is one they are/she is comfortable using.  Small hands doesn't necessarily mean a small (girl) gun; there's usually more recoil with a small handgun and what's important is the grip and distance from there to the trigger.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline NHTom

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 03:43:38 AM »
If I were to recommend anything for a 1st timer female gun owner it would be a revolver. Why? Because they remain the best "point & click" interface.

Think of the series of decisions involved in a firefight

Recognizing the need and making the decision to pull your weapon
The mechanics of drawing your weapon
The mechanics of aiming and sighting your weapon
One in the pipe? Safety off?
And that last second decision to fire - did you remember to check your field of fire for collateral damage?

There are a ton of factors and decisions to make. Until you've had sufficient training to form subconscious habits and until those habits become ingrained there are a bunch of opportunities to either freeze up or become indecisive.

Revolvers, especially hammer-less revolvers eliminate a couple of decisions that otherwise may chew up the seconds you have to effectively respond. "1 in the pipe" is the default, no slide or hammer to cock, and no safety to remember the correct position.

Their failure to feed and failure to fire rate is substantially lower.

Their shortcoming is the limitation of 5 or 6 bullets compared to magazines of up to 14 rounds in a semi-auto - but then we are not talking about advanced fighters in advanced firefights.

My .02
I hear you on the wheel gun.

Pistols by their very nature are a collection of compromises.  It all comes down to application.  Just brandishing would deter most attackers so the extra rounds usually wouldn't make a difference.

Thanks!  I'll keep that in mind.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 01:34:09 PM »
The best for either one of them -- but particularly her -- is one they are/she is comfortable using.  Small hands doesn't necessarily mean a small (girl) gun; there's usually more recoil with a small handgun and what's important is the grip and distance from there to the trigger.

I'll second that!

Small .380's and 9's can get whippy, size of hand may play an issue, trigger-pull smoothness and weight (Wheel-gun's can vary - SA, DA, SA/DA, Semi-auto's striker-fired or 1911 based), barrel length, load, sighting, fit.  Lots to consider.

Most ranges have rentals...if there is time before hand to try stuff out see if they find something they both like.  The best pistol is the one you will feel the most comfortable shooting.  If not enough time for that, make the gift a promise and they can test stuff after the honeymoon and they get settled in. 

Good luck and best wishes!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 05:13:00 PM »

Most ranges have rentals...if there is time before hand to try stuff out see if they find something they both like.  The best pistol is the one you will feel the most comfortable shooting.

This is THE most sensible.

And congrats!!
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 07:00:10 PM »
  If she's never fired anything before rent a .22 and break her in slow and easy no point shocking her. She may want a .40 after she shoots a bunch.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie