Author Topic: ALL Roads Lead to God (...)  (Read 3596 times)

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
ALL Roads Lead to God (...)
« on: April 23, 2018, 01:30:28 AM »
I heard a great sermon today.

I used to debate those who maintain that "All roads lead to God" (translation: no religion owns the truth) - until now.

The preacher posited that all roads DO, in fact, lead to God (meaning Judgement Day). But all roads do NOT lead to the saving grace & work of Jesus Christ on the cross.

The difference is that many will not like the results of what their "road to God" yields them . . . from an eternal perspective.

[Reverse engineer their argument]
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Syzygy

Re: ALL Roads Lead to God (...)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
Straight is the gate and narrow is the way,  and few are they that enter therein.  (somewhere in the Bible,  I forget where)

Doesn't leave a lot room for the "all roads..." theorists. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »
I think you are right...had to look it up though...

Matthew 7:14 King James Version (KJV)

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

I like the reverse-engineer thing.   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 03:13:22 PM »
Straight is the gate and narrow is the way,  and few are they that enter therein.  (somewhere in the Bible,  I forget where)

Doesn't leave room for the "all religions" theorists, but, like Pablo, I believe all roads lead to God.  Doesn't mean "all roads" allow entry to Heaven, but they all lead to the Great Decider.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 10:10:24 PM »

Doesn't leave room for the "all religions" theorists, but, like Pablo, I believe all roads lead to God.  Doesn't mean "all roads" allow entry to Heaven, but they all lead to the Great Decider.

Invariably the Bill becomes due. We must be recompensed for our deeds & chosen paths. For some it'll be the ultimate "Oh Sh*t" moment.

I've heard folks say that if God would just leave a heavenly Post-ItTM note - telling them exactly what He wants them to do . . . that they'd do it.
Ironically, He has . . . it's approximately 1200 pages long & generally referred to as the Bible!
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Syzygy

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 10:53:47 PM »

Sorry,  but I can't be that generous,  in all honesty,  mainly because Jesus wasn't,  either:

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

I don't know  what the Greek word was that "way" in this passage was translated from,  but I know the Latin word for "way" is "via" (WEE-ah).  In Latin it means, "by way of" (same as our usage of it today), just plain "way",  or more broadly,  a "road" or passageway (Via Appia or Appian Way/Road).  I'm assuming the Greek word for "way" is just as broadly defined in this,  so I could be all wet.  But....

...whatever the case,  He could have just as easily said "road"  or "path" instead of "way" and His point would have been just as well made:  Only ONE road/path/way leads to the Father,  and He is It.  Period.

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 07:27:35 AM »
Only ONE road/path/way leads to the Father,  and He is It.  Period.

Agreed. One path leads to eternal life; and that path is through Jesus Christ, for those trusting in His work upon the Cross.

The speaker's point was that all roads lead to God from this perspective:

Hebrews 9:27 New King James Version (NKJV)

And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,

All will, regardless of their chosen path during life, face God in the judgement. In that respect, all roads do lead to God. They will then give an account of their lives & either be cast out or welcomed in based upon the choice they made, while still alive, for or against Christ.

So when scoffers remark that "you don't have a monopoly on the truth" or that "all roads lead to God", you can nod along with their supposition & think: "O.K. - I guess you're gonna' find out . . ."