Topics > TEOTWAWKI

question

(1/3) > >>

John Florida:
 Can a metal building be uses as a Faraday cage?

IronDioPriest:
I never heard of a Faraday Cage before, so I had to look it up. Now I know more than I did before. Thanks John!

Weisshaupt:
A Proper Faraday Cage also has a metal bottom.  But yes a steel building will provide some E&M pulse protection, but gaps, like garage doors , etc may allow some EM to leak through

John Florida:

--- Quote from: Weisshaupt on April 27, 2018, 07:17:03 PM ---A Proper Faraday Cage also has a metal bottom.  But yes a steel building will provide some E&M pulse protection, but gaps, like garage doors , etc may allow some EM to leak through

--- End quote ---

Even if grounded every 24" ? It's on a slab with rods buried in it.

Weisshaupt:
From the interwebs :

--- Quote ---"The reason why it doesn't work is the EMP, especially the ones generated by high altitude nukes, is strong enough to induce currents in metal shells that cause secondary or induced EMP's inside. The longer the conducting path, the larger this current. So large metal buildings, by themselves, will not work. You have to use multiple layers of carefully designed shielding. So a large metal building, with shielded seams, followed by a layer of less conductive but magnetic material like transformer steel or mu-metal, followed by an electrically insulating layer, followed by another conductive shell, followed by less electrically conductive but magnetic material followed by another insulator...followed by another conductive shell...

You get the idea...
Any electrically conductive pass throughs should be avoided at all costs...
Electrical connections, pipes (water, gas, sewer,) signal lines, or RF shielded cable pass throughs should be avoided. Fiber optic line should be o.k. as long as it does not have a conductive shield, which it shouldn't"
--- End quote ---

Basically its just such a HUGE wave front that you need multiple -completely conductive and completely  attached - layers. and You can't have metalic pipes or wires going into the building - these act as antennas.. and any doors must be grounded to the rest of the structure - ideally on all sides.

So  no, your metal building will not qualify as a Faraday cage. But its better than nothing. But Really , and EMP is just so devastating.. its nearly impossible and very, very expensive to prepare for.. and What if the attacking country detonates a second EMP a week or two after the first?

Check out this concrete :  https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/16/spray-on-conductive-concrete-anti-emp-attacks/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version