Topics > General Board

Yet more evidence that Liberalism is genetic

(1/1)

Weisshaupt:
Frugality is Genetic

Liberals are always telling us to cut down/cut back on consumption - but my liberal neighbor, without fail, always has 2X the trash I do on trash day.

LadyVirginia:
Meh.

So overextending on credit cards is genetic and can't be helped. 

Weisshaupt:

--- Quote from: LadyVirginia on May 26, 2011, 06:05:10 PM ---So overextending on credit cards is genetic and can't be helped. 

--- End quote ---

The beatings will continue till the genome is improved.
Actually the article asserts its a predisposition, just like you might be genetically predisposed to alcoholism.  That doesn't mean you can't control it.  It does mean you have to want to. And why would I want to when I can always get someone to bail me out?

Pandora:

--- Quote from: Weisshaupt on May 26, 2011, 06:09:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: LadyVirginia on May 26, 2011, 06:05:10 PM ---So overextending on credit cards is genetic and can't be helped.  

--- End quote ---

The beatings will continue till the genome is improved.
--- End quote ---

Bwahah.

--- Quote ---Actually the article asserts its a predisposition, just like you might be genetically predisposed to alcoholism.  That doesn't mean you can't control it.  It does mean you have to want to. And why would I want to when I can always get someone to bail me out?
--- End quote ---

And goes on to tie frugality, as is now defined by enviro-consciousness, to morality:

“Consumerism probably reflects the moral nature of contemporary existence as much as any other widespread moral practice; significant change here would therefore require no minor adjustment to our way of life, but the transformation of our entire civilization.”

As I read it, it's not so much how much one consumes, but how and of what.

I found this amusing, as well:

"... some of the cheapest people I know have the most money ...".

Well.  Duh.  Shades of "The Millionaire Next Door", long before "frugal" was trendy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version