Author Topic: Big Blow To Democrats: SCOTUS Rules Against Public Sector Unions  (Read 1832 times)

Online WilliamVA

https://www.dailywire.com/news/32366/breaking-big-blow-democrats-scotus-rules-against-hank-berrien

On Wednesday, in a decision that was a major blow to public sector and teachers’ unions, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of a public sector employee who refused to join a public union and objected to paying a union fee that was automatically deducted from his paycheck every month under the union’s contract. As Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the decision, “States and public-sector unions may no longer extract agency fees from nonconsenting employees.”

The case involved Mark Janus, a child support worker in Illinois, who would not join the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, which represents state employees. He would not pay the $45 union fee (known as an “agency” or “fair share” fee) the union demanded every month from his paycheck.

The right of the union to collect the fee was based on the SCOTUS decision in Abood v. Detroit Bd. of Ed. That decision permitted a union to charge only for services from which nonunion members benefited, including negotiating and administering a collective bargaining agreement and handling grievance procedures, as marketplace.org noted.

But the Supreme Court reversed the Abood decision, ruling that Janus was “undisputedly injured in fact by Illinois’ agency-fee scheme and his injuries can be redressed by a favorable court decision … The State’s extraction of agency fees from nonconsenting public- sector employees violates the First Amendment. Abood erred in concluding otherwise, and stare decisis cannot support it. Abood is therefore overruled.”

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Big Blow To Democrats: SCOTUS Rules Against Public Sector Unions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 12:18:59 AM »
Absolutely stellar!

Up next: private sector unions gotta go = right to work.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online WilliamVA

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »
Amen, I live in Virginia, never had to join a union...PTL

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »
I worked for Western Union in NJ and the union was the bane of my existence.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 05:44:01 AM »
Reading the dissents from both Kagan & Sotomayor, & the perverse mindsets contained therein, is enough to praise God for the fact that Hillary didn't get to pick ANY on the Supreme Court & to thank God for the Gorsuch pick.

They see the First Amendment as "threatening to government". And their thoughts along those lines remind one of the Amendment that comes directly after the first one. It could be said that those same thoughts are back up for why that 2nd Amendment was written in the first place.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:13:00 AM by Pablo de Fleurs »
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online WilliamVA

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 08:17:35 AM »
Reading the dissents from both Kagan & Sotomayor, & the perverse mindsets contained therein, is enough to praise God for the fact that Hillary didn't get to pick ANY on the Supreme Court & to thank God for the Gorsuch pick.

They see the First Amendment as "threatening to government". And their thoughts along those lines remind one of the Amendment that comes directly after the first one. It could be said that those same thoughts are back up for why that 2nd Amendment was written in the first place.

I think the batch of 10 amendments we call the Bill of Rights, are intentionally Anti-Government.  In particular the 2nd Amendment.  I have always
felt the argument for the 2nd, was best expressed in the Anti-Federalist Papers.   The discussion was basically that the rights of citizens to bear arms was necessary as a stop-gap against political institutions (parties), building their own armies, and taking over government.   Can't remember where
Ihave heard of that happening to a nation.  ::lalanotlistening::    (Nazi Germany, USSR, PRC, and others)