Author Topic: Vietnam now  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Vietnam now
« on: July 13, 2018, 07:11:28 PM »
Not sure how threatening this is to communist rule at this point, as much angst toward fellow commies in China than anything, but it is interesting how the wheel turns...

http://www.atimes.com/article/a-democratic-revolution-has-just-begun-in-vietnam/
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
Re: Vietnam now
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 11:18:49 PM »

Disclaimer: I am no apologist for the massive evils of communism.

I no longer pretend to know what a country is like just because they call themselves communist.
I know a family that fled Vietnam and now goes back for vacations and might retire there.

Even before these demonstrations I am not sure Vietnam is a bad place now.
I watched a bunch of youtube videos on China from the ADVChina guys. Maybe there are similar videos of Vietnam as well. The western media only focus on bad news.
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 06:21:02 AM »
Vietnam is a one party state, that calls itself communist.  It's not a dictatorship, as the party elects the President every so many years.  I don't know how much they censor the internet, as opposed to China's heavy censorship.  But Vietnam is not free.  It will be interesting to see how violent the pushback is against the protesters.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 08:34:54 AM »
There have always been racial tension between the two...mainly China's historical attitude regardless of governmental form that their race is pure compared to other orientals.

Like China they have used economic relationships with outsiders to work-around the inherent idiocy of pure communism to keep their people pacified enough not to threaten their rule.

The clever option for them would be to not go too hard on these folks...and agree to meaningless measures to look into grievances in order to buy some time to figure out how to dangle something new and shiny...

Offline WilliamVA

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 09:46:18 AM »

Disclaimer: I am no apologist for the massive evils of communism.

I no longer pretend to know what a country is like just because they call themselves communist.
I know a family that fled Vietnam and now goes back for vacations and might retire there.

Even before these demonstrations I am not sure Vietnam is a bad place now.
I watched a bunch of youtube videos on China from the ADVChina guys. Maybe there are similar videos of Vietnam as well. The western media only focus on bad news.

Truly, I say, we watch, we pray for the best outcome for the Vietnamese People.  We do not interfere,
why?   There is a wall in DC that pretty much lays out the reason. 

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 05:24:44 PM »
There have always been racial tension between the two...mainly China's historical attitude regardless of governmental form that their race is pure compared to other orientals.

After the US Vietnam war I recall China attacked Vietnam. Vietnam cleaned their clocks. The Vietnamese were used to hard fighting.

Maybe 10 years after the US Vietnam war the Vietnamese invited US warships to use the harbor at Cam Ranh bay.

Offline WilliamVA

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 06:40:39 PM »

After the US Vietnam war I recall China attacked Vietnam. Vietnam cleaned their clocks. The Vietnamese were used to hard fighting.

Maybe 10 years after the US Vietnam war the Vietnamese invited US warships to use the harbor at Cam Ranh bay.

Yep!  and on March 4, 2018 the USS Carl Vinson arrived in Danang Harbor. 

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 08:16:03 PM »
Not sure how threatening this is to communist rule at this point, as much angst toward fellow commies in China than anything, but it is interesting how the wheel turns...

http://www.atimes.com/article/a-democratic-revolution-has-just-begun-in-vietnam/

I just realized that the pissed off Vietnamese are upset that the govt is giving parts of their country away to China. Sound like Trump voters.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 06:59:11 AM »
Yeah, I didn't miss that.  The two have a long unpleasant history.